The Sequel Trilogy (7, 8, 9) General Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  

Episode VII in theaters makes you...
...ECSTATIC
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
...SCARED SITHLESS for the EU
34%
 34%  [ 11 ]
...Speechless
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
...All of the above
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^^ This is what I've been arguing!

Of course, this guy was just brainstorming, but still. I would be more than happy for the sequel trilogy to be in the 40s ABY and be built in such a way that they either a) fit with continuity or b) don't explicitly break it ways that old books can't be retconned.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If the sequel trilogy incorporates the Expanded Universe, I certainly hope that it places it after Fate of the Jedi.

Allana is one of the issues I see, though. People aren't going to want to see another child protagonist after Episode I, so I highly suspect that will be avoided like the plague. I suspect that the Jedi per capita among the main cast will be another issue that will be avoided due to it being something that contrasted the prequels with the originals. Speculation of how the Jedi will feature in the sequel trilogy from a character standpoint is an interesting subject, IMO. I wholly expect the sequel trilogy to use the original trilogy as a model and to avoid aspects of the prequels that were controversial.

There's certainly room for hope that Disney is more respectful of the Expanded Universe than Lucas was, because while Lucas was more interested in his storytelling, Disney is more likely to respect it to preserve sales.

Edit: Unrelated pondering:

I wonder if the sequel trilogy is more precarious a writing job than the prequel trilogy was. With the prequel trilogy, one of obstacles cited was that the fans had their own impression of what they should be. But prior to 1999, our knowledge of what actually happened in the prequels was very minimal. On the other hand, with the sequel trilogy, there's a lot more things for people to expect. I imagine that a lot of people probably expect it to be the original trilogy thirty years later, starring Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill. But I think the odds of that are infinitesimally small... There's a lot more variables that are known about the universe now for fans to develop more concrete expectations than they had for the prequel trilogy. Does this disadvantage the sequel trilogy to a greater extent than the prequel trilogy? Is it mitigated by slightly over half the wait between films, or lessened expectations due to the prequel trilogy?

Plus there's the whole Expanded Universe component. Besides general EU fan resentment if the EU is wiped clean, the sequel trilogy will draw comparisons if that happens as well. The EU also allows for even more expectations to develop.

I developed this line of thought because I've realized that I have some specific ideas of what I think that Episode VII should be about, which I did not have for the prequels at all. I'm not sure if I will actually let that influence my enjoyment of the film, but I wonder if it's something that some people disappointed by Episode I and the prequels did experience and was simply something I did not at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If it was left to Disney, Abrams etc. I expect the movies would attempt to coexist with the EU. It comes down to Lucas and how much creative influence he has. "Creative consultant" seems like a pretty vague term.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
If the sequel trilogy incorporates the Expanded Universe, I certainly hope that it places it after Fate of the Jedi.

Allana is one of the issues I see, though. People aren't going to want to see another child protagonist after Episode I, so I highly suspect that will be avoided like the plague. ...

There's certainly room for hope that Disney is more respectful of the Expanded Universe than Lucas was, because while Lucas was more interested in his storytelling, Disney is more likely to respect it to preserve sales.

This actually is a decent segue for something I've had on my mind for a few days now. A lot of people online on different forums/blogs/etc suggest that major obstacles for maintaining EU continuity are that

A) There's no space for the sequel trilogy until after FOTJ (and now Sword of the Jedi).

B) There's too much of the EU to explain to casual audiences without them getting completely lost in what's happened, or a 2 hour opening crawl.

In point of fact, both are completely wrong.

A) A New Hope was released 38 years before EP VII is expected to be released.

The New Jedi Order ends at the beginning 30 ABY, and LOTF does not start until mid-41 ABY. There ONLY intervening material is the Dark Nest Trilogy which spans a few months around 36 ABY.

That gives a more-or-less completely open 10 year gap for a sequel trilogy to take place which happens to very closely mirror the ages of the OT actors as they would be in-universe.

Additionally, it allows certain fan-favorite characters (Mara, Jacen, Jaina, Pellaeon, Omas) to appear without any difficulty.

It fits with a female Solo protagonist (given that Jaina was in full fighting form at the end of NJO, and shown to be doing field work at the beginning of Dark Nest), and would significant writer's freedom to come up with a story. So long as they don't kill any major characters or destroy the GF government.

B) Its entirely possible to summarize the EU between those times in a regularly sized opening title crawl and still introduce the theme of the movie without the slightest difficulty.

Allow me to demonstrate:

STAR WARS
Episode VII: A Shadow Falls

The galaxy has been at war for 30 years.
Long after the death of Emperor Palpatine,
Imperial Remnants fought for survival.

After a treaty was finally signed,
half the galaxy was destroyed
by invaders from beyond the galactic rim.
A united galaxy fought back to survive,
but the cost of peace was high.

Now the fledgling Galactic Alliance and
rebuilt Jedi Order must unite a fractured galaxy against
a sinister force that plots to take control of
the galaxy for their own nefarious purposes...

Which is precisely 84 words. Only one longer than the 83 of the crawl for A New Hope.

Yes. Its a crude description, but its thrown together in 5 minutes. Does it include every detail of the Expanded Universe? Certainly not.

Does it give you enough a basic summary of the protracted civil war and NJO that you could comfortably understand the galaxy +/- a few throwaway lines? I think so.

And it might even peak people's interest to check out "what the hell happened the last 30 years?" in the EU.

So, in short, if Disney wants to keep the EU, they can do so very easily. If they chose to ignore it, its just that. A CHOICE. And one that does little other than involve less work on their part.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good point DH and from that POV you could even omit any mention of NJO, all you really need to know is that luke reforms the Jedi and I think even that is a logical thing to happen after ROTJ so you wouldn't even need to explain that either.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Good point DH and from that POV you could even omit any mention of NJO, all you really need to know is that luke reforms the Jedi and I think even that is a logical thing to happen after ROTJ so you wouldn't even need to explain that either.

You could indeed probably get away with even fewer specifics if so desired. Simply that "the galaxy is at peace after 30 years of war." or something like that. I just wanted to make a point that in a title crawl you can essentially describe the entire EU with decent accuracy.

All you need to know is: **** tonne of war now over. New Jedi Order. New diplomatic government. Go.

Honestly, throw in someone mentioning "the invasion" and "the vong" in throwaway lines (much like Obi-Wan's original mention of "The Clone Wars") and you've got material for spinoffs.

My 2c.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

[quote="Darth_Henning"]

The New Jedi Order ends at the beginning 30 ABY, and LOTF does not start until mid-41 ABY. There ONLY intervening material is the Dark Nest Trilogy which spans a few months around 36 ABY.

That gives a more-or-less completely open 10 year gap for a sequel trilogy to take place which happens to very closely mirror the ages of the OT actors as they would be in-universe. quote]

Actually DN spans somewhere between 1 to 2 years: Unseen Queen, if I recall correctly, is set a year after Joiner King. But the gap between NJO and DN or DN and LOTF would still be perfect to put the ST. I'm not holdong my breath though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Actually DN spans somewhere between 1 to 2 years: Unseen Queen, if I recall correctly, is set a year after Joiner King. But the gap between NJO and DN or DN and LOTF would still be perfect to put the ST. I'm not holdong my breath though.

I know its listed as a different year ABY, but having not read the novel for almost 10 years, does it ever specifically state that a year passes? I've always looked at it as overlapping the new year period.

EDIT: Wookieepedia search: Ok, a full year (ish) does indeed pass, during which Jaina/Zekk keep their Joiner connection thing going. So yeah, lets just not set any movie during that year.

Even if it is a full year later, it still works (as you mention) given there's routinely a 2-3 year gap between movies of a trilogy (on average).

Not likely for them to do it, but fully possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I would really like to see Disney try to portray what the Yuuzhann Vong war and how that would look. I can definitely see disney deciding to take that path.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I felt the need to drop into this thread because I haven't been too optimistic about the new films, but I saw this on Tumblr the other day and...it sort of opened my mind to plot possibilities I hadn't considered for whatever reason.

Linking to the original post.

http://darkimus.tumblr.com/post/54501748464

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The way I feel about the Sequel Trilogy depends on the day. Yesterday I was listening to Yellowcard and when the song "Shadows and Regrets" came on, it reminded me of the Jacen/Jaina video Mara made for that song. It made me nostalgic for the days when I avidly read the EU and it made me sad that the EU continuity is going out the window.

Other days I'm excited about having new Star Wars films. I've never been part of the SW fandom when movies were in production (I became a fan shortly before RotS hit theatres), so it will be a new experience fore me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean reep. I wasn't really a fan until sometime around 09

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In some ways, I think the most respectful thing they could do for the EU is to come right out and say they will not be using it. Otherwise they will be changing stuff around completely to work in film form. Then starts the picking and the choosing, the "great" novels get adapted while the "bad" ones are ignored. Even the Thrawn trilogy would be weird on screen. I personally think Thrawn, as awesome as he is, is too introspective and thoughtful to be interesting visually. I would prefer a completely clean slate. Let the films and the EU exist separately.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hear, hear!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, they've already said they aren't adapting any EU works. I recently reread TTT (like in the last 2-3 weeks), and it just wouldn't work without a lot of updating. There's just too much in it that doesn't work anymore.

I think the most they'll do is take some EU characters and place them in the ST. Their personalities may be the same, but I don't really expect much of their back stories to survive. I expect something more along the lines of how Ventress was transitioned from Dark Horse to TCW. Same person, but really different back story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 4