What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 110, 111, 112  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Padme: Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and moving on to the second book, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I finished A Game of Thrones. I loved it, such a great story! I'm waiting for the next book to come in at my library.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It gets worse!

I'm almost done reading Hyperion -- finally. I picked it up again after finishing Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

I'm also listening to the audio book of "This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It."

I've undertaken reading entries of the SF Masterworks and Fantasy Masterworks lists, of which Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are part. Though I'm undecided whether I'm going to move onto Fall after finishing Hyperion, or if I'm going to jump to something else. I'll decide tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished the second Dirk Gently novel, and now reading The Salmon of Doubt by Adams. It's not exactly the next book in the series, but a posthumous printing of an incomplete book, as well as several essays and interviews he wrote/participated in. It's funny, but in the spirit of the book I was looking at my old writings, hidden in the computer, and found something sort of like what Adams would write. I compared it to something he wrote at aged 12, and it didn't even compare. ******.

Also, his short essay on Tea should be required reading.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Salmon of Doubt.

Now reading Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown. At first I wasn't sure about the book - mainly because it was a gift (gift books tend to not go well, such as the other recent gift, The Da Vinci Code) and by a magician that I wasn't familiar with. But, upon closer inspection, I'm getting fairly excited about it. It appears his magic is more mentally inclined - which is great because I'm terrible at sleight of hand (and only sleight-ly less terrible at the mental stuff), and so can feel that it's at least possible to succeed in an attempt. There's also a section dedicated to pseudoscience and other bad thinking, which is of great interest to me. On top of that, just from reading the back page and brief biography, I've instantly taken to his style of writing. Very witty and approachable. I was going to quote it, but I got a little carried away. Yeah, I think I'll enjoy this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading Isaac Brock: Larger Than Life and The War of 1812: The War That Both Sides Won for my summative project in History class.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Tricks of the Mind and now reading Tim Zahn's Icarus Hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm almost done Paper Towns by John Green. SO GOOD! So quintessentially nerdy and awesome.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey Life! How was Tricks of the mind? I only know Derren Brown from a few TV shows, but I always liked the way he diminished gold diging fortune tellers and such.

Is Trick of the mind more of a "how to play cards" or is it "mentalist apprentice" or something else entirely?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would quite recommend it to you. There is a grand total of one card trick that he teaches in his book, and one coin trick. Both fairly simple and easy to do (though somehow I messed up the presentation and trick for both when I tried them). That's pretty much it for 'normal' magic tricks. The first section of the book is describing how he utilises several mnemonic techniques - with instructions on how to learn such techniques yourself - in his performances. The second section is devoted to hypnotism, giving a detail explanation of what it is and isn't, as well as how to do it yourself. Including a very interesting bit on getting rid of phobias. The latter section details various pseudo-sciences, which he rips apart, including psychics and media. That, I think you might like. All in all, I suppose it could be accurately described as 'mentalist apprentice', though fairly loosely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks Life. I'll check some nearby libraries and stores on monday and see if they have it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote  

Life, what did you think of Icarus Hunt?

I recently finished A Discourse In Steel by Paul S. Kemp which is the second book in his Egil and Nix series. Very entertaining sword and sorcery novel with thief types.

Also finished Hunted by Kevin Hearne which was pretty good. It's the latest novel in his Iron Druid Chronicles which is a really fun series. I highly recommend the first three books, they're the best.

And I read Michael A. Stackpole's upcoming World of Warcraft book Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde which was surprisingly good. Very deep character self-exploration and philosophical threads.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 87 of 112