Musical Bliss: everything music...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Anyone here listen to the Killers? I love those guys, and no one I know also likes them (or knows who they are).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

MizzeeOH wrote:
Anyone here listen to the Killers? I love those guys, and no one I know also likes them (or knows who they are).

they do "when you were young" ,right? i like them, they're pretty good Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Anyone listen to Coldplay?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote  

The other day I saw them on the Daily Show.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote  

AC/DC released the first single of their new upcoming album...

Rock N Roll Train

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Not bad; I don't know if I'll get their new album or not, but the song was good.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote  

Artist: AC/DC

Album: Black Ice

Release Date: October 20, 2008

Rating: [*5of5*]

Track Listing:
I. Rock 'n Roll Train - 4:21
II. Skies On Fire - 3:34
III. Big Jack - 3:57
IV. Anything Goes - 3:22
V. War Machine - 3:09
VI. Smash N Grab - 4:06
VII. Spoilin' For A Fight - 3:17
VIII. Wheels - 3:28
IX. Decibel - 3:34
X. Stormy May Day - 3:10
XI. She Likes Rock N Roll - 3:53
XII. Money Made - 4:15
XIII. Rock N Roll Dream - 4:41
XIV. Rocking All The Way - 3:22
XV. Black Ice - 3:25

Review:
First off, I am an AC/DC nut, so my opinion is very biased, however I shall try my best to give an outside observation. Secondly, this album ROCKS! I mean shove an Ewok down your throat and chew it awesome!... There, now that I've had my say let's get down to the basics. Black Ice is a bit of a new venture and evolution in the sound of AC/DC as a band. It's not a big step, but a small one, gradual enough that the casual listener might not catch it. Some of the songs on this album don't have that traditional ballsy feel that Angus and Malcom tend to churn out. And on top of that, Brian Johnson's vocals give a bit of variety as well, plus there is a lot more back up singing than usual which gives the songs a nice, fuller, richer sound. Now for the track-by-track breakdown...

Rock 'n Roll Train - the first single released off the album and truly one of the best off it. The guitar riff has a nice hook and the lyrics are catchy. Yet interestingly enough "Rock 'n Roll Train" is never actually sung in the song. Why they didn't call it "Runaway Train", I have no idea. The backup vocals for the chorus really help drive it home as a great rock song.

Skies On Fire - a slightly different guitar sound than usual and Brian gives a little extra in the vocals. The chorus is more plain but it has a nice apocalyptic sound to it. Overall this song isn't bad but it could have been a little better as it does tend to drone on a little.

Big Jack - another catchy guitar riff with a great chorus. Big Jack is definitely classic AC/DC with a sound reminiscent of the Razor's Edge album. Where Skies on Fire is more serious, this one provides a fun, upbeat tune.

Anything Goes - this one is a first for AC/DC. Of all the songs they've ever done (besides Ride On which has more of ballad feel to it) this is the first 'soft' song. The sound isn't their typical upbeat riff or shadowy rumble, instead it almost sounds, dare I say it, mainstream. I give this one points for being unique and a new sound for the band.

War Machine - this one comes right out of the box and you just know that it's greatness. The sound and the lyrics come together for a top notch song worthy of radio play. I'd even go so far as to say that this one is worthy of being on their top ten list of all AC/DC songs. Who knows, they could even use it in Iron Man 2 if they bring in War Machine (the silver armor)...

Smash N Grab - this one has an anthem feel to it that you can get behind, it's even fitting for the times, in fact the name says it all: Smash...grab...take it. The chorus delivers this one to a higher standing from some of the others.

Spoilin' For A Fight - good guitar, cool catch phrase, and nice beat makes this one a keeper. The lyrics aren't very deep but then again that's never really happened in an AC/DC song. It provides just the right mix and gives just enough to provide listening enjoyment.

Wheels - I like the sound of this song. Angus and Malcom play a nice back and forth tune and Brian delivers for the vocals without droning them out. I can't decide whether they wrote this one about race cars (cause both Brian and Phil are into racing) or about women. Probably both.

Decibel - alright, this is the first song that just doesn't really make the cut. The material for the lyrics ain't much and the guitar sound isn't that great. Perhaps they should've rethought this one and made it Jezebel instead.

Stormy May Day - this is my second pick of the album. Angus throws it up with a guitar riff that harkens back to the Flick of the Switch album. Probably the best guitar playing out of all the songs but also the shortest song. Brian does a stand up job with the vocals delivering the twisty chorus with a good melody.

She Likes Rock N Roll - this song was almost good. The guitar riffs sound good, most of the lyrics have a fine sound, and at one point they throw in a nice little vocal change up that some shebs. But the chorus stinks. It just sounds bland. I still up on the fence on whether the rest of the song can defeat the mediocre chorus, maybe it'll grow on me.

Money Made - rolls right out with the chorus and this time they score. Yet the sound is familiar, just not for them. Regardless, I like it and think it's a fine addition to their repertoire. A song for the working man or anyone with a job. The name might make you think of Money Talks but it's a whole 'nother beast.

Rock N Roll Dream - this song is a change up from the upbeat anthem sound of Money Made. Instead it goes for the ballad. In fact I haven't heard an AC/DC song this deep since Spellbound. This one has an emotional resonance that you don't get often from them. Definitely stands out from the rest and in a good way.

Rocking All The Way - another fun song with a great sound. It starts out quiet and cool with Brian delivering the lyrics and the guitar stewing in the background then sets into a jammin' chorus. By the end of the song Brian and Angus are plowing full out with overlapping guitar and vocals.

Black Ice - the namesake of the album and one of their darker songs. The guitar has a sound similar to Ballbreaker's Furor. It's an edgy, somber tone that's only further emphasized by some of the lyrics, most notable when Brian sings "I'll gouge your eyes out." Not sure what black ice is, at least in reference to this song, but this isn't catchy upbeat stuff. Instead they end the album with a dark, even violent, beat that leaves you wondering what's in store for the future.

Overall you can't beat this album for 12 bucks and 15 songs. It's not AC/DC's best album, but it is the most varied set of songs they've ever put out and step out of the box. Wal-mart has got the exclusive selling rights so you'll have to go there to get it. As for me, I'm waiting patiently with my concert tickets for when they come to town. If they pick the cream of the crop off the album to perform live, it's going to be one of the best concerts ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Kay, here's an audio track of alternate themes John Williams was playing with for A New hope. It's a pretty awesome track. But make sure you jump to the 5:00 mark after the initial track (Binary Sunset), cause it doesn't actually end like it sounds like it does. Just a lot of dead air. Listen really closely, cause only the very beginning of each alternate is different, but it sounds really weird when compared to the original. I remember thinking, "How could they have possibly considered using that?" Smile

Anyway, enjoy!

Star Wars Alternative Themes

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I got Hawk Nelson's Live Life Loud the other day as a late birthday present. I'm really liking it, the title track is just incredible!

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I found out this incredible band named Eleventyseven. They're a trio of Christian punk rockers with synthsizers. Cool

The thing I love about them, is how they look at the world realistically (no wishful thinking) but still end up being positive. Lately, I've kind of fallen into a rut of listening to emo and getting depressed, so Eleventyseven is really liberating that way.

Anyway, they're really neat so if you're looking for something new to listen to, I'd totally recommend them.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I've really been into Broadway albums lately. A lot of the music is really powerful and emotional. I love it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote  

Starting to listen to Buckcherry. They'll do until the new Airbourne album comes out (April 20!!! Very Happy )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote  

Listening to Band of Skulls Death By Diamonds and Pearls. Pretty good, kind of a touch of Jack White ala The Raconteurs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My favourtie bands:

-Relient K
-Eleventyseven
-Hawk Nelson
-Yellowcard
-Hawthorne Heights
-Eisley
-FM Static
-The Beatles
-Owl City

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote  

The only band in that list I recognize is The Beatles. What kind of music are the other groups?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 8