Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Their sales have dropped quite a bit over the past decade. The New York Times bestseller list is somewhat misleading, because it's a weekly list of the bestselling novels for that particular week. A novel could be the bestselling novel for one week, then drop off the list completely, and they'll still put it that it was a NYT bestseller on the cover. But overall sales are more important for the bottom line. I think spin-off novels for most franchises that have a sizable fanbase can boast that they are bestsellers because if they have enough fans that will buy the novel, and most buy it upon release, it will hit the list the week of its release.

Presumably they will still be publishing SW novels, but they may not publish any more which are set after Return of the Jedi until Episode VII either released, or has a finalized script upon which either a lead-in novel and/or novelization can be based. This is assuming that Episode VII results in the post-Return of the Jedi stories being reset, of which I would imagine there's at least a small chance of not happening, but it's definitely more likely than not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Crash Override wrote:
Their sales have dropped quite a bit over the past decade. The New York Times bestseller list is somewhat misleading, because it's a weekly list of the bestselling novels for that particular week. A novel could be the bestselling novel for one week, then drop off the list completely, and they'll still put it that it was a NYT bestseller on the cover. But overall sales are more important for the bottom line. I think spin-off novels for most franchises that have a sizable fanbase can boast that they are bestsellers because if they have enough fans that will buy the novel, and most buy it upon release, it will hit the list the week of its release.

Presumably they will still be publishing SW novels, but they may not publish any more which are set after Return of the Jedi until Episode VII either released, or has a finalized script upon which either a lead-in novel and/or novelization can be based. This is assuming that Episode VII results in the post-Return of the Jedi stories being reset, of which I would imagine there's at least a small chance of not happening, but it's definitely more likely than not.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will say however when it comes to novels based on a franchise, Star Wars seems to be the one that sells better than most.

Seems a shame not to continue post ROTJ. Disney has been known to leave its acquisitions alone somewhat, like Marvel for example. So I'm always hoping for some of that "Leave them to their devices they know what they are doing" mentality.

Whilst I am excited for another SW film, I'm not too excited for a film that will reset or ignore the EU. I'm also not a big JJ fan, but that seems like a topic for somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I doubt it will be the heads of Disney making the call, but rather the people running Lucas Films. My guess is that they'll have the final say regarding all things Star Wars, just like Lucas did before the sale. So the question becomes, what vision do they have for the films. Marketing wise, despite my love for the current EU, it makes sense to have everything line up with whatever they are doing with the film. It's just easier to draw people in that way. I mean how would you have felt that when you started reading the novels, it was about someone called Alan Skywalker instead of Luke Skywalker. That could easily be the type of situation people may find themselves in if the movies give the big three different children.

In fact part of me wonders if Crucible may not become a farewell of sort to the post ROTJ EU, ending Han, Luke, and Leia's story before resetting everything. I most certainly hope it does not end up being that, but I can also see it happening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote  

Quote:
Sean Williams said Del Rey was in a "holding pattern" since Disney purchased LucasFilm in an interview he did with a SF podcast at the beginning of the year.

Crash, "SF podcast" is that SF Signal? I'm searching for that Sean Williams interview.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Adventures in SciFi Publishing #199, Feb 22, 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
In fact part of me wonders if Crucible may not become a farewell of sort to the post ROTJ EU, ending Han, Luke, and Leia's story before resetting everything. I most certainly hope it does not end up being that, but I can also see it happening.

It will be pretty sobering reading Crucible. Even though my interest in the EU had pretty much sunk before the Disney announcement (due to Apocalypse, Mortis etc.), it will still feel like the end of an era.

I find it hard to believe that Del Rey would continue to release books following the established post-RotJ storyline as an "alternate storyline". I just don't see that happening.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Though to be honest, if it ends at least it ended on a relatively high note. Well depending on what happens in Crucible.

Allana is returned to her mother and takes her rightful place as the heir to Hapes.

Jania gets married and join the Jedi Council as a Master.

The GA is under the best leadership they've had since Leia.

The Big Three will depend on Crucible.

Ben, well he doesn't end that well with his girl betraying the Jedi.

The Horns saved their children.

The Jedi are fully united and have the full support of the government, even if they are not answering to the government in any way.

Wedge is retired, as is his wife, and both his children are firmly in place in their careers.

The Empire now has open elections to determine leadership.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I almost wonder if they would change the ending in light of Episode VII. Give it a storybook ending like you said, because it might be the last book in that timeline. It will be an interesting read in any case.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw Crucible while I was at a book store the other day. Is anyone else going to read it?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I didn't realize it was out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's out July 9th. The store I went to must have got it ahead of time.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote  

If you like Troy Denning's books, I highly recommend it. It's my favorite Star Wars Denning novel. Lot of fun.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'll definitely be ordering it. I think, one way or the other, it'll be worth reading.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I should be getting my copy from Amazon on Tuesday some time -- can't wait!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote  

Jedi Journals is doing a giveaway for 2 autographed copies of Crucible (just send them an email to enter). You have to be a US resident. For non-US residents, they are giving away an advanced reader copy.

Link: http://www.forcecast.net/story/jedijournals/Jedi_Journals_July_2013_152920.asp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 10 of 12