Book Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^Uldir appears at the beginning of Edge of Victory I as part of the YV roundup of Jedi, but all you really need to know about Uldir comes from the Junior Jedi Knights series.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The twenty month time period would allow the book club to keep us occupied up until Episode VII, so that sounds good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So, with Rogue Planet finished, I'll give my non-spoiler review. The story itself is much more deeply character driven than action driven, which is a sharp contrast to a lot of the more recent Star Wars novels. Not a whole lot actually happens in the novel; with the pacing of a lot of Star Wars novels, it could have been a novella. That said, it didn't seem particularly slow, and I finished it a lot more quickly than I expected. The main focus is on Obi-Wan and Anakin, and exploring Obi-Wan's struggles with the burden of training Anakin and the weight of the task, and Anakin's inherently paradoxical nature. He's capable of great wisdom, but he is driven by his childish impulses such as building droids and racing, and it would seem that to eliminate these impulses would be to take away from his uniqueness. He's really set up to be the next Qui-Gon, which makes it unfortunate that they didn't really get that across for his characterization in Episode II or III, as he seems more motivated by self interest than Qui-Gon in his disobedience, whereas Qui-Gon is driven by the Force or what he feels is right.

The other big theme of the novel is a carry over the symbiosis theme from Episode I, of which Zonama Sekot is a giant metaphor, as well as a metaphor for the Force. I think part of the confusion with the prophecy and the concept of balance to the Force is derived from the absence of symbolic or metaphorical representations of what the dark side in nature should be. Death is a part of the cycle of life. To some extent this is well represented not on Zonama Sekot but through the captain of the Star Sea Flower, the ship that takes Anakin and Obi-Wan to Zonama Sekot.

From Wookiepedia: He had a symbiotic relationship with the Crast, whom he referred to as food-kin. His kind used the species as food, and in return incubated and cared for their young. In addition to the normal Priapulin relationship with Crast, he also provided food and a place to live for his food-kin on the Star Sea Flower, in return for them being the ship's crew.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How about we start Vector Prime next month (August)? We can divide the book into parts and check in at regular interviews (say, after ten chapters) and discuss what we've read.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay. I've finished Chapter 3: The Role of Politics, and I'm not sure I've mentioned this but the first ten or so chapters of Vector Prime are quite heavy on the exposition. Chapter 3 really sets up a lot of interesting things, not just for the novel but the series. Borsk Fey'lya is Chief of State of the New Republic and he has a six member advisory council, and three of these are anti-Jedi: Niuk Niuv, Ryor Rodan, and Pwoe. Pwoe says that the Jedi are "a dangerous group," with Rodan adding that they are "causing disturbances throughout the galaxy." Niuv says that the "Jedi Knights are not the law," with Rodan requesting from Fey'lya that they should "consider a resolution against the Jedi. A strong statement from this council demanding that they end all policing efforts that have not been explicitly authorized by this council or by regional ambassadors."

Luke wants to recreate the Jedi Council, but Jacen is opposed to this. You see, Jacen has it all figured out. "Is this what it means to be a Jedi Knight?" is evidently a refrain that Luke has heard from Jacen for the preceding several months.

"Any formalities concerning the Jedi, from the academy to any new councils, seem to [Jacen] to be layers of bureaucracy added to something spiritual and personal, something that should not be governed. In Jacen's idealistic sixteen-year-old eyes, the individual Jedi Knights, by their mere acceptance of the philosophy necessary to sustain their Force powers, should be self-governing. A properly trained Jedi Knight, who had been taught to avoid the dark side, who proved he could resist the temptations associated with power, needed no bureaucrats to guide his actions, and putting that governing layer there, he feared, would steal the mystery."

Jacen also wants the academy to be eliminated and to return to the master-padawan system that he just saw a few months prior in Episode I: The Phantom Menace. But rather than take Force sensitive children from their parents, Jacen wants all Jedi to be like Jaden Korr and find their way to the Jedi. But I realized after writing this that Jaden Korr didn't exist yet though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Luke Skywalker (I think) wrote:
who had been taught to avoid the dark side

*coughcough*

Wink

-------------------------------------------

I'm excited to start this series after hearing so much about it. I got as far as Balance Point the last time I tried reading it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Whoa whoa ^^ buddy is jumping the gun! Are we reading this month by month?! Ahhhh someone lead this thread!!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Luke Skywalker (I think) wrote:
who had been taught to avoid the dark side

*coughcough*

Wink

-------------------------------------------

I'm excited to start this series after hearing so much about it. I got as far as Balance Point the last time I tried reading it.

It was Jacen's internal POV.

1337Jedi wrote:
Whoa whoa ^^ buddy is jumping the gun! Are we reading this month by month?! Ahhhh someone lead this thread!!

Well, I'm just starting, and I guess we're going to do it month to month, so August is Vector Prime. I guess we'll skip Rogue Planet, although I already read it, or we can just make it the July book for those interested in reading it.

August 2013: Vector Prime
September 2013: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
October 2013: Dark Tide II: Ruin
November 2013: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
December 2013: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
January 2014: Balance Point
February 2014: Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Plus E-Book Recovery)
March 2014: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
April 2014: Star by Star
June 2014: Dark Journey
July 2014: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
August 2014: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
September 2014: Traitor
November 2014: Destiny's Way (Plus E-Book Ylesia set between chapters 21 and 22)
December 2014: Force Heretic I: Remnant
January 2015: Force Heretic II: Refugee
February 2015: Force Heretic III: Reunion
March 2015: The Final Prophecy
April 2015: The Unifying Force

The schedule lines up with a presumed May 2015 release of Episode VII. We can adjust it if we're getting through the books quicker or slower though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

There we go! I'm in on this list, other questions, how spoiler free are our discussions going to be, for example we all know what happens to Jacen down the road, but do we ignore knowing the future and say things like "wow I like Jacen, I hope nothing bad happens to him"........ I think we HAVE to do it this way, not only to keep us in the current books grasp but to keep us from going off for pages on rants about how this leads to a later that. Know what I mean? And personally I know the larger events in the EU fights, deaths, Yada Yada because I dumbly wookiepedia almost everytjing years ago in my "need to know" days, however I don't know When/where/ and by whom all of these events takes place and I love that mystery that this book could be the one where "Blank" happens! I have managed to keep myself somewhat sheltered and I think perhaps I might not be alone on this, what do you all think?

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think the stories that occur after the NJO should necessarily factor into the discussion for two reasons. First, the NJO series has really become marginalized with regard to its character arcs and themes by the later stories, so if we look at what followed, it will just make the NJO itself seem irrelevant in comparison. There's been some widespread retcons at work as well. Second, I just want to enjoy the series on its own merits as the heroic journey of Jacen Solo and the Yuuzhan Vong War.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

1337Jedi wrote:
I'm in on this list, other questions, how spoiler free are our discussions going to be, for example we all know what happens to Jacen down the road, but do we ignore knowing the future and say things like "wow I like Jacen, I hope nothing bad happens to him"........ I think we HAVE to do it this way, not only to keep us in the current books grasp but to keep us from going off for pages on rants about how this leads to a later that. Know what I mean? And personally I know the larger events in the EU fights, deaths, Yada Yada because I dumbly wookiepedia almost everytjing years ago in my "need to know" days, however I don't know When/where/ and by whom all of these events takes place and I love that mystery that this book could be the one where "Blank" happens! I have managed to keep myself somewhat sheltered and I think perhaps I might not be alone on this, what do you all think?

I agree with you. I'm pretty new to the events in the EU so I don't know what'll happen further down the line so a spoiler free discussion would be nice! If spoilers are a necessary part of the discussion I suggest that they hide them with a spoiler bar thingy.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the discussions!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For spoilers for future NJO novels, my way of discussing the novels will be like the one above for Vector Prime. Some of the stuff I quoted and posted was relevant to future plotlines but I didn't say how, I just made note of it. I don't know that I will reference future events under a spoiler tag at all. I'd rather just call back to stuff from earlier when I get to the stuff in the future, than reference stuff in the future when I'm at the earlier stuff.

As an aside, to complete the illusion of time travelling to 1999, I watched The Matrix last night.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I think we should just take it a book at a time and avoid referencing future books. Once we read them, we can reference past books and it will make the same difference.

Is it just the three of us? The more, the merrier! Very Happy

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds like it's Reepicheep, PadawanSparkles, 1337Jedi, and me. Taral-DLOS also expressed interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Sounds like it's Reepicheep, PadawanSparkles, 1337Jedi, and me. Taral-DLOS also expressed interest.

Yea, I'm in. Sorry, I rarely post on weekends Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 6