What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just started re-reading Rogue Planet. I don't think that I've read it in the past ten years, so I don't remember much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've moved on to Apocalypse...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm about 100 pages into Han Solo at Stars' End.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'll be getting into X-Wing: Mercy Kill during lunch today...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finished Rogue Planet and I'll post a review and thoughts in the book club thread later. Vector Prime is next.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

This week I read Red Harvest and Death Troopers. I really liked them, but I am a fan of horror novels. They are definitely different from other Star Wars novels.

I just bought 501st: An Imperial Commando Novel. I liked the Republic Commando novels so I hope this one won't disappoint.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm about 1/3rd through Crucible. I'm actually really enjoying it so far. Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've been reading through the Omnibuses starting with Rise of The Sith. I'm up to Clone Wars volume 2. I have been pleasantly surprised with the overarching storylines and themes explored through the books, particularly Aurra Sing and Quinlan Vos' stories.

Having already read Jedi in Darkness, it is good to see Vos' character fleshed out and given even more complexity. Also unless he undergoes a radical personality transplant in the books I still have to read, I have no idea what the Clone Wars series was thinking with their characterisation of Quinlan!

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

AdmiralSteven wrote:

Love the earliest EU literature. That series by Brian Daley were the first books I read, along with Heir to the Empire, and they remain to be some of my favorites. Just short, sweet fun without all of the extreme over-arching "end-of-the-world" plotlines that go over 8 books.

I kind of wish they'd write more books like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Baloo wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:

Love the earliest EU literature. That series by Brian Daley were the first books I read, along with Heir to the Empire, and they remain to be some of my favorites. Just short, sweet fun without all of the extreme over-arching "end-of-the-world" plotlines that go over 8 books.

Agreed. Stover was trying for that feel with Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It didn't have an "end of the world" galactic peril plotline, but it put the Big 3 plus Lando, Chewbacca, and the droids in mortal peril. I think he largely succeeded.

However, one major difference is that Daley's early novels weren't permitted to have Jedi or the Empire, so they only starred Han Solo and Chewbacca and the Corporate Sector was created to replace the Empire. It lends it a very "big galaxy" feel, especially when read with L. Neil Smith's Lando novels which likewise don't feature the Galactic Empire and take place in their own corner of the galaxy.

Jim Luceno was friends with Brian Daley so his novels are very referential of the early Han Solo novels, and I think he does a good job of capturing the same feel to the novels as Daley. Millennium Falcon is really a homage to those early novels, for instance, but even his Agents of Chaos duology in the New Jedi Order series is reminiscent of them at times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Emma. Quite enjoyable, though wasn't particularly happy with the resolution of the Harriet storyline. I think I'm going to go away from reading the collection for a little while. Change things to reading one collection book, then one physical book and so on. I don't think staring at the DS screen for prolonged periods agrees with me.

Now reading Crucible. I had actually hoped to read William Shakespeare's Star Wars (I caved), but it hasn't turned up yet.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Finally got through Children of the Jedi. Sigh.

Taking a Callista break and reading Starfighters in Adumar. Never read this before and so far so soooo sooooooooo good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Crash Override wrote:
I finished Rogue Planet and I'll post a review and thoughts in the book club thread later. Vector Prime is next.

I couldn't get into that book, so I put that book down. Can't wait to read your review of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Baloo wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:

I eat these kind of books up. A book that doesn't have that, as you put it, "end-of-world" type plot line. Just a book about someone/people who are just trying to make their way through the galaxy. And I couldn't agree more, I wish they write more books like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sunless wrote:
Finally got through Children of the Jedi. Sigh.

Taking a Callista break and reading Starfighters in Adumar. Never read this before and so far so soooo sooooooooo good.

I would love to read that book again for the first time. I love the book, but I've found that humorous books like that lose a little upon multiple readings. Just like a good mystery novel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 137 of 145