What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Sunless wrote:
Finally got through Children of the Jedi. Sigh.

Taking a Callista break and reading Starfighters in Adumar. Never read this before and so far so soooo sooooooooo good.

I would love to read that book again for the first time. I love the book, but I've found that humorous books like that lose a little upon multiple readings. Just like a good mystery novel.

So many people hate the hell out of it. I'm the first to admit it isn't brilliant but I find it fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I look at that book as one that isn't supposed to be serious. Granted there are some serious parts, but over all it's just supposed to be a fun read. There's no grand mission or galaxy saving quest, just four guys on a planet doing what they do best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm confused. People hate Starfighters?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

Well, all the X-Wing fans told me to read the books, and I got the same advice everyone gets, "You have to read Starfighters of Adumar! It's the best of the series! You'll love it!" So I read it, and my reaction went along the lines of "This is the best? Well, take the rest of that series off my to read list."

I don't actively hate Starfighters, but it's so over-rated. Now I did thoroughly enjoy Mercy Kill. It's a good book, but it's not in my top 5 Star Wars books.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm reading two books right now -- and X-Wing: Mercy Kill is one of them.

As much as I love the X-Wing books -- this one -- it's almost a chore to read. I'm about just about half way through and it's just not fun. Ya know what I mean?

There was something special about the original Rogues and Wraiths -- this new group still hasn't grown on me.

Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Well, all the X-Wing fans told me to read the books, and I got the same advice everyone gets, "You have to read Starfighters of Adumar! It's the best of the series! You'll love it!" So I read it, and my reaction went along the lines of "This is the best? Well, take the rest of that series off my to read list."

I don't actively hate Starfighters, but it's so over-rated. Now I did thoroughly enjoy Mercy Kill. It's a good book, but it's not in my top 5 Star Wars books.

I haven't read Starfighters yet, but I'd give the X-Wing series another go and start with the first book. I started the series last year, or late 2011 and I liked the first couple of books. I stopped reading the series because I was reading too many Star Wars books in a row and didn't want to burn out, so I went to a non Star Wars book and just haven't picked up the series yet. From what I remember, I liked the first couple of books, they didn't wow me like the Han Solo books have, but I liked them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

You read book 9 in a series first? Um why?

I'm over half way now and I'm loving it, however part of the reason I love it so much is having gotten to know and love the characters from the other X-Wing books.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Fair enough. I just found it odd that so many people hated it. That's been contrary to my own experiences with the majority of readers.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sunless wrote:

I'm over half way now and I'm loving it, however part of the reason I love it so much is having gotten to know and love the characters from the other X-Wing books.

Hmm, this is a good point. I'm not sure how well that book would work, at least many of the jokes, without the previous characterizations created in the previous books.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sunless wrote:

Because I had a copy of Starfighters and was wondering if it was worth picking up all the books. When everyone (and I mean everyone) said read Starfighters, I did. Anyway, it's not like I didn't know these characters already.

Also I actually saw the OT, then the PT. It was kinda hard to figure things out, but I managed. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just read through the information on the "making of" the NJO series up to FOTJ in The Essential Reader's Companion. The series could have been a lot more interesting if Lucas didn't nix the Anakin bit, and it's a shame that despite swapping Anakin and Jacen they also eliminated the prophecy. I find it amusing that a lot of the stuff that Lucas nixed was later reused for Fate of the Jedi.

And then I read the content to the original outline to Invincible.

But I like the idea that originally Anakin, and then Jacen, were the Azor Ahai.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Where can I read that outline? That sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Essential Reader's Companion goes into the behind the scenes stuff on the NJO. I can sum it up a bit:

The Yuuzhan Vong were originally Sith progenitors. They used the dark side but in a more primal sense than evil sense. Anakin would romance a Sith female, and this would result in some sort of conflict between Anakin and Jacen and Jaina, and out of this conflict Jacen would die. It sounds like this was really early on in planning as it is somewhat vague.

Subsequently, the story was refined into a similar structure to the existing NJO, except that the Yuuzhan Vong were still these Sith progenitors. They had a prophecy that there was a "Light-Bringer" that would defeat them. Jacen and Anakin had their character arcs swapped, so that Jacen was the one saved by Chewbacca and had the falling out with Han, and used the guilt to drive himself to become the action hero. Meanwhile, Anakin, fearing his namesake, would behave as Jacen did, and fear using the Force aggressively. The Sith would see Jacen's heroism and believe he was the prophesied Light-Bringer, and kill him and capture Anakin, who would be trained by Vergere. It would turn out that Jacen basically acted as a decoy through his more overt action, and Anakin was the Light-Bringer, and he would use his training by Vergere, who would teach him Force Aikido, essentially, how to turn the dark side energy against itself, to destroy Onimi in The Unifying Force (which is exactly what Jacen did, though it wasn't as overt in his training by Vergere).

Lucas's objection was that having a prophesied Anakin was too similar to the prequel trilogy, so Anakin and Jacen were swapped and the Light-Bringer Prophecy was dropped. His objection to the Yuuzhan Vong being Sith was that a Sith society would collapse itself -- for the reason that the Rule of Two exists -- in the millennia prior to their invasion so it was infeasible -- which really still holds true to the Lost Tribe of the Sith, so I guess Lucas stopped paying attention. Anakin having a Sith romance interest also sounds like Vestara, except that Anakin would redeem her.

The original ending to Invincible was, hold your breath, that Jacen would use an illusion of mortally wounded Anakin against Jaina during their final battle, and yet somehow doing this required him to Flow-Walk to Myrkr and in doing this he somehow messed up and swapped places with Anakin in which he somehow maintained the illusion of being the mortally wounded Anakin in the past while Anakin was brought to the present and Jaina miraculously heals him of his mortal wounds. It all sounds like a horribly bad Anakin Solo fanboy fanfic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The way things went I'm glad Anakin wasn't brought back. Having said that I wish he hadn't died, it would have made a lot of things make more sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
The way things went I'm glad Anakin wasn't brought back. Having said that I wish he hadn't died, it would have made a lot of things make more sense.

After getting rid of the prophecy, neither Solo son should have died. It seems to be a vestigal plot point from that.

If they wanted to go for shock value or to upset the status quo, having the Millennium Falcon get destroyed in a crash, for instance, would have been very much similar to Chewbacca's death. In each case, they're more plot furniture (sorry Chewie) than characters, and their absence will emotionally affect the reader while not hindering future plots.

In many ways, having Coruscant become Yuuzhan'tar had the same effect for me that destroying the Millennium Falcon would have, or that Chewbacca's death did have. It's just been completely mitigated because after Traitor hammered home the idea that "you can't go home again," it was just fine and dandy in LOTF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 138 of 145