ET in SW...?...!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
ET in SW...?...!
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wtf?

Am I the only person who doesn't know about this? It's totally legit.

read this thread that discusses the whole issue.

Quote:
The Children of the Green Planet are a cameo appearance of the famous aliens of Steven Spielberg's 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. These creatures were inserted in the movie to make good on a promise—after Steven Spielberg included a Yoda cameo and Star Wars toys in E.T., George Lucas promised to include an E.T. cameo in the next Star Wars film he made — The Phantom Menace.

Quote:
"E.T.: The Book of the Green Planet" (a book from E.T. franchise which is the sequel to movie's novelization) mentions on page 19 that Brodo Asogi was one of many names given to E.T.'s homeworld, all of which translate to "Green Planet", and "Children of the Green Planet" to be the translated name of E.T.'s species.

In Star Wars Universe, the same homeworld name is given to the species in Cloak of Deception book (but the species name is not specified).

The species is named in HoloNet News Vol. 531 50 which mentions Senator Grebleips* of Brodo Asogi.

Quote:
HoloNet News Vol. 531 50 also mentions that Senator Grebleips of Brodo Asogi funded an expedition to another galaxy. This is another reference to E.T., since E.T. visits Earth from another galaxy in the film.

Pat Welsh, the woman who did the voice for E.T. in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, also did the voice for the bounty hunter Boushh in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

Quote:
The evidence for ET and Star Wars sharing a universe is far from conclusive.

Going by strictly canon material from the movies, all we have is a picture of aliens that resemble ET from the waist up, which DVK provided a picture of.

We don't know that they resemble ET in full or that even if they do, they are in fact the same species. It would be easy to mistake a Centari, for example, for a Human.

Most of the evidence for them being in the same universe comes from the extended universe or non-canon work. For example, Senator Grebleips funding a trip to another galaxy does not necessarily have anything to do with the trip made by ET.

There are enough points there that you can link things together and draw a somewhat reasonable conclusion that ET and Star Wars may share a universe.

Unfortunately, a clear example of Yoda existing as fiction within the ET universe would seem to void any such theory.

But here's the real crazy theory: That the "Star Wars" references in the film ET are actually just popular culture representations of humanities awareness of the aliens from the SW Galaxy, such as the real world Roswell Incident, and NOT references to a fictional film of such called "Star Wars", which doesn't exist In Universe.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've known about it since Episode I.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hm. Yes, but I don't think doctors recommend anyone to pay that much attention to Episode One. I know that it took me a very long time to recover from even limited exposure.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It is too late for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I noticed it first time I saw it when I was a little kid seeing it in theatres. In more recent releases it has been removed from that scene, Lucas even tinkered with stuff that hardly anyone noticed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm just gobsmacked that anyone's even discussing this. Same universe, different galaxy.

And it's fiction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've known about them for years. It's odd that Lucas removed them though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm just gobsmacked that anyone's even discussing this. Same universe, different galaxy.

And it's fiction.

What does that mean? Oh, because it's fiction that means it's not worth discussing, either as a narrative, or even as a media event itself and from the perspective of the filmmakers and authors that thought it up? In that case why don't you shut down the whole EU Cantina then because the EU is a work of fiction that doesn't need discussing.

That comment really miffed me. I made this thread because I hadn't heard about this thing, whether it was significant or not and wanted to share it. Why shouldn't I care about SW and ET? And because I like talking about the mythology and interrelatedness of story aspects within a fictional narrative.

It's funny that you also felt the need to validate your own opinion on the subject of whether it's the same Galaxy or not, while dismissing everyone else's as irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe Lucas removed it because he was informed of the mercifully cancelled novel Alien Exodus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't know Lucas removed it from E.I.

Easter eggs and parodies never bother me, whether in SW or otherwise.

I must admit, that the only easter eggs I've found on my own in SW come from video games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GL did jest that he only showed it for a "split second" because ET was produced by Universal, not Fox. Perhaps they took it seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm pretty sure I saw E.T. when they released TPM in 3D, and that's the same version as the Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm pretty sure it's still in there too, this always irked me a bit so I can't stop from noticing it every time

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
What does that mean? Oh, because it's fiction that means it's not worth discussing, either as a narrative, or even as a media event itself and from the perspective of the filmmakers and authors that thought it up? In that case why don't you shut down the whole EU Cantina then because the EU is a work of fiction that doesn't need discussing.

That comment really miffed me. I made this thread because I hadn't heard about this thing, whether it was significant or not and wanted to share it. Why shouldn't I care about SW and ET? And because I like talking about the mythology and interrelatedness of story aspects within a fictional narrative.

It's funny that you also felt the need to validate your own opinion on the subject of whether it's the same Galaxy or not, while dismissing everyone else's as irrelevant.

Wow, assumption much?

Let me clarify here. I was addressing the quotes you provided from the original source. Since I'm not passive aggressive if I'd been addressing you or anyone else in this thread, I would have said as much.

The author kept referring to E.T. being in the same universe as Star Wars (I'm assuming he meant galaxy, but he didn't say that). Well, unless he's positing parallel universes (which I saw no evidence of in what was quoted), it follows that they would be in the same universe. And why not? Why would this be an extraordinary occurrence? It is all fiction after all so it could happen. The one thing that works against that is E.T. exists in 1982. Star Wars occurs long ago. Maybe E.T. can time travel. Maybe some of his ancestors learned how to cross galaxies and took up residence in ours. Maybe E.T.'s a clone who's consciousness keeps getting transferred to a new body when the old one wears out. Maybe he can live for like a gazillion years. Idk. It just seems to me that Lucas and Spielberg were having some fun and someone is as you pointed out a little over-involved in a fun easter egg.

Quote:
...Hm. Yes, but I don't think doctors recommend anyone to pay that much attention to Episode One. I know that it took me a very long time to recover from even limited exposure.

So this was my thought process when I posted. I realize that practically none of that came across in my original post, but thanks for putting the most negative spin on it possible. It's always wonderful to be viewed that way by someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Fair enough C. I'm sorry for getting overly defensive. These misunderstandings happen in text writing where tone can't be detected. No hard feelings, let's bury the hatchet, eh?

For the talk about "Universes" I don't think they meant there are different cosmological universes, but were referring to the narrative of a fictional work as being a "Universe". As in ET being from the planet whatever and a Galactic Senator is the "In Universe" explanation, and him being an easter egg from GL and Speilberg is the "Out of Universe" explanation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2