Authors of the EU and the Future
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Authors of the EU and the Future
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote  

Kind of a general topic, but I've got a specific question in mind which might spur some discussion. Assuming we get more EU books in the future, regardless of what direction they head, what three Star Wars authors do you want to see write new book?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This one is pretty easy for me: Matthew Stover, Jim Luceno, and Tim Zahn.

If I eliminate those, I'd say I'd like to see Greg Keyes and Mike Stackpole again, along with Paul Kemp.

Not a novel author, but I would be very interested to see Tom Veitch write Star Wars again as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Zahn, Allston and Stackpole. I think I've enjoyed their books the best out of all of them. I also like how they introduce more non-force related aspects to Star Wars. I know there will always be Jedi in Star Wars, but I like some focus to be away from them from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd like to see Christie Golden write some more. I loved Ascension, and it's nice to have a solid female presence among the writers. Also, she's only written 3 books so far, so if the current EU is left behind, she won't be quite as tied down by memories of her prior works as other authors.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd actually like to see genre specific authors attack Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff like Star Wars, with the new direction I think that there could be some crazy stuff brought on.

I'd like to see Dan Simmons, I'd like to see Grant Morrison attack the comics, I'd like to see George R.R. Martin hit the short stories, maybe even see someone like a gothic horror novel come to the universe, something insane.

This new stuff and possible EU reboot (most likely, almost 100% certain on it) could open the doors for so many different kinds of stories within one universe. We've had them attempt slasher horror and such recently, but maybe a large drama or a shock and awe book would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Christie Golden would have been my fourth choice. I've only read her Star Wars stuff, but I feel she gets the core concept that is important when writing Stars Wars novels.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I want a galactic scale Clancy-esque thriller like Hand of Thrawn again. Let loose the chains on Zahn! Stover is the best writer to have written in the SW galaxy, and I think Luceno gets the galaxy as well as anyone that isn't George Lucas.

It's been over a decade since Stackpole or Keyes have had any of their work published, and I miss Stackpole, and I'm curious to see what Keyes and Kemp could still do in the universe. I've enjoyed their respective three novels.

As for Veitch, I enjoy what he did with Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi a lot, and I'd be curious to see his take on the Jedi after the prequels, even though he's publicly trashed them. It would be interesting to see if that would motivate him to do something better in the universe. Give him either a prose novel or comic miniseries in the Dawn of the Jedi universe, or unleash him on an untapped area of the timeline such as the Hundred-Year Darkness or the First Great Schism with Xendor and the Legions of Lettow, or even just an empty period of the Expansionist period to pick up with Tales of the Jedi with no preconceptions.

He more or less created the Sith as this obscure cult of dark side magicians, and that got taken over creatively -- which isn't a bad thing, mind you -- by Kevin J. Anderson with Exar Kun. He could probably come up with some interesting new villains in different time periods.

It would be interesting if Dark Horse revived the Tales of the Jedi line with a completely different time period and new Jedi with Veitch, and even if it became an anthology type series where each story arc is in a different time period of Jedi, with popular arcs seeing sequel arcs down the line.

And this is to say, while there may be some pruning to the EU, Caedus, I don't think we need to worry about the stuff before the films being affected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Out of the current list of writers, Allston almost definitely. Stover, certainly, as well as Kemp and JJM. Golden, I would tentatively add. I've only read her FOTJ books, and I don't think it entirely fair to base my opinion on those books alone - part of the reason I was tentatively looking forward to her Sword trilogy. If only to see how she fairs, I'd keep her on. Denning, I wouldn't mind keeping on, as long as he takes a step back. Karpyshyn, I wouldn't mind seeing around, though I'm not too fussed, either way.

I can't really recommend any authors who haven't written SW, I'm not a big sci-fi fan.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to reserve part of my answer until after Kevin Hearne's Luke Skywalker book comes out. I've got a feeling about that book based on what Hearne's done with his Iron Druid Chronicles. He writes a young hero very well and with a lot of humor. His world building is exceptional and he knows his Star Wars.

After reading Kenobi, imo JJM is right up there with the best in the EU.

I've also read Razor's Edge so Martha Wells goes on my list.

For comic book writers, John Ostrander really puts out good stories, and DOTJ is one of my all time favorties. Hardman and Bechko are also doing a good job with Legacy 2. It has a "true" Star Wars feel to it.

I firmly believe we're going to get an EU reboot. It makes we wonder how well writers like Allston and Stackpole could work without their pet characters, because I do not foresee a lot of EU characters surviving intact. I also have a hard time getting past Stackpole Gary Stu-ing Corran Horn all the time. I like Corran so much better when someone else writes him.

Idk about Zahn. He's really married to his EU creations like Mara and Thrawn. Idk how well he can write Star Wars without them. although Scoundrels was a fun romp, I wouldn't put it up there with the best of Star Wars EU.

With the exception of Luceno -- even though I thought Plageuis was a giant snorefest -- I think the new EU would be in better hands with fresher eyes and newer voices. I think I'd go with the newer authors like Kemp (loved his duology), JJM, Wells, Bechko and Hardman and (possibly) Hearne.

And then there's Stover. He can write Star Wars, any era as far as I'm concerned.
Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I forgot about John Jackson Miller on account of the majority of his work being in comics. Picking just 3 is tough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm... three authors. Kemp and Stover, for sure. I guess Allston would be the third. I've always enjoyed his writing.

I'm not in any hurry to read more Denning or Luceno though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aw I like Luceno...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just three? Shocked In an uncertain future (assuming this means after E.VII) Not fair. Sad
So who could write a SW story from a blank sheet? imo: Stover, Kemp and JJM.

My list would be different if we had an E.7 reboots everythink/EU stays the same options.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep will change his mind on Luceno after he reads The Unifying Force, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^He may hate Lucenos Darth Plagueis soo much he'll never pick The Unifying Force up. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2