What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Feast gets a lot of slag, but I thought it wasn't too bad. I knew beforehand that it was slower than the previous books, so maybe that helps. I also followed along with a blog of a first time reader giving their thoughts chapter by chapter.

People complained that it was all descriptions of landscapes and heraldrey... yes, it's a fantasy series. I guess people didn't want that because they were used to watching an HBO boobs and blood show.

The purpose of Brienne's quest was to show everything that had happened in the Riverlands since we left off. We knew from the start that her intended goal was not going to happen, what did you think was going to happen?

I hate everything about the Iron Islanders except for Asha, but I've come to accept that is just as much a part of the series as anything else. I loved all the Dorne stuff. Because the first three books had more or less the same POV's people tend to forget that there are no "main characters", it's about anyone who is playing a part in The Game.

For me Dance was way worse than Feast. If you hated seeing characters you don't like act stupid and do nothing, just wait till the "main" characters do the same thing in the next book, especially Dany.

Dance is difficult to read, but I made it through. It was enough to keep me interested but it wasn't magical, nothing amazing like the first three books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I started the Song of Ice and Fire series before I watched the show, so I didn't really have any expectations about the tone. I just found Feast to be....I don't know, of little consequence? Ah, well. At least it had
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
. I'm about to start Dance.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just got a book called Skinner by Charlie Huston:

Skinner founded his career in "asset protection" on fear. To touch anyone under his protection was to invite destruction. A savagely effective methodology, until Skinner's CIA handlers began to fear him as much as his enemies did and banished him to the hinterlands of the intelligence community.

Now, an ornate and evolving cyber-terrorist attack is about to end that long exile. His asset is Jae, a roboticist with a gift for seeing the underlying systems violently shaping a new era of global guerrilla warfare.

At the root of it all is a young boy, the innocent seed of a plot grown in the slums of Mumbai. Brought to flower, that plot will tip the balance of world power in a perilous new direction.

A combination of Le Carre spycraft with Stephenson techno-philosophy from the novelist hailed by the Washington Post as "the voice of twenty-first century crime fiction," SKINNER is Charlie Huston's masterpiece--a new kind of thriller for a new kind of world.

It sounds promising.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Started last night...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just started The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry. I love his books. Steve Berry throws you into the action right from the beginning, so there's no boring set up.

Here's the synopsis from Steve Berry's website:
Quote:
Synopsis
Ekaterinburg, Russia: July 16, 1918. Ten months have passed since Nicholas II’s reign was cut short by revolutionaries. Tonight, the White Army advances on the town where the Tsar and his family are being held captive by the Bolsheviks. Nicholas dares to hope for salvation. Instead, the Romanovs are coldly and methodically executed.

Moscow: Present Day. Atlanta lawyer Miles Lord, fluent in Russian and well versed in the country’s history, is thrilled to be in Moscow on the eve of such a momentous event. After the fall of Communism and a succession of weak governments, the Russian people have voted to bring back the monarchy. The new tsar will be chosen from the distant relatives of Nicholas II by a specially appointed commission, and Miles’ job is to perform a background check on the Tsarist candidate favored by a powerful group of Western businessmen. But research quickly becomes the least of Miles’ concerns when he is nearly killed by gunmen on a city plaza.

Suddenly Miles is racing across continents, shadowed by nefarious henchmen. At first, his only question is why people are pursuing him. But after a strange conversation with a mysterious Russian, who steers Miles toward the writings of Rasputin, he becomes desperate to know more–most important, what really happened to the family of Russia’s last tsar? His only companion is Akilina Petrov, a Russian circus performer sympathetic to his struggle, and his only guide is a cryptic message from Rasputin that implies that the bloody night of so long ago is not the last chapter in the Romanovs’ story . . . and that someone might even have survived the massacre. The prophecy’s implications are earth-shattering–not only for the future of the tsar and mother Russia, but also for Miles himself.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've read The Romanov Prophecy -- it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Bianca Christine wrote:
I've read The Romanov Prophecy -- it was pretty good.

This is actually the second time I've read it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went to a used bookstore and bought Le Morte d'Arthur. I've always wanted to read this but it's a bit too long for a library check out. Now I can read it at my leisure. I also picked up a nonfiction book about knight armour and weapons and a collection of stories by Chretien de Troyes. I love chivalric romances. It's high time that genre made a comeback. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Interesting fact, Sir Thomas Malory, who wrote that story of chivalry and courtly love Morte D'Arthur, wrote it while in prison for armed assault and rape ...

Finished Crucible. I found it quite enjoyable, really. There were one or two chapters which could have been written better, towards the end, but it didn't really impact the story. It was dark, but the characters were more in line with what they usually are, and was thoroughly entertaining.

Now reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mansfield Park is my favorite Jane Austin novel. Don't bother watching the last movie version. It's ghastly. They put something significant in it that was total fantasy on the writer's part and never existed in the novel.

When you've finished the book, I'll tell what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Double post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now that I'm all grown up the *Redwall* series has become very nostalgic for me and I'm having a huge re-read.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Something about A Game Of Thrones that doesn't make sense to me...

I'm not gonna put spoilers for stuff that has been shown on the TV series, but I'll block out the rest.

When Varys visits Ned in the dungeon he tells him to swear fealty to Joffery and preserve peace with the Lannisters, and that he loyally served Robert and wants what is best for the realm. Why does he say that?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
wouldn't he benefit from the Starks and Lannisters going to war?

If he was telling the truth that doesn't make any sense. It also doesn't make any sense that he would lie, especially if he wanted war, because Ned did what he told him to do and no one knew what Joffery was going to do.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's answered earlier in the novel and the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDnbHTcBWbQ

"What good is war now? We're not ready."

"We need time. Khal Drogo will not make his move until his son is born."

Varys had things pretty smoothly set up with Ned to take the black and preventing conflict between Winterfell and King's Landing and Joffrey ruined it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok, that is the answer. It's still pretty stupid and senseless though, because why have Drogo potentially fighting against the entire united Westeros when he could let them pick each other off and take it from there?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 90 of 106