What Game Are You Playing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I realized I never completed the Dawnguard or Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim, so I started playing Skyrim again. On account of building a new computer last fall, I modded the **** out of Skyrim using the Skyrim Total Enhancement Project so it looks absolutely amazing.

My new pastime is taking random screenshots of the landscape.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished playing through a couple of games (different games. It would be weird if I played several versions of the same game), and have settled on Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II. It's ... not a game I could easily recommend. Or at all.

EDIT: I thought I should include some of its merits, here, before it's lost in the rant. Erm. Well. It has some of the actors from the films, like Elrond and Gandalf. And the generic Elven voices are humorously camp.

It just fails across the board. An RTS game, you're presented with two campaigns: the Good, and the Evil. The Good is played from the perspective, primarily, of the Elves, and the Evil from the Orcs. Both are set around the time of the main books/films. The handling is the main problem. It's fairly difficult to select individual units - especially hero units, which are small and often difficult to see on screen - and then move them to a specific place. Often, as you try to select a new unit, after giving orders to the previous, you end up not selecting the new one, but ordering the old to move to where the new unit is placed. The camera controls are not very well tuned, and I've probably spent most of my time trying to fix it on one particular unit, and failing miserably. You don't even want to move it over the map. You will get lost. The mini-map is of no help whatsoever, in this, and in other things - such as trying to locate the hero units because you can't remember where you put them and can't find them on the screen. The Fortress (the base building part of the game) isn't particularly helpful. You're given a fairly large number of buildings to construct, but only two or three are of any use, and it's quite vulnerable to attack, even with turrets and a wall. To be honest, there are only a few reasons to even play the game:

1 - you're a die-hard LotR fan, and want to play it simply because you want to experience everything LotR.
2 - An exercise in self-flagellation.
3 - For the easy achievements.
4 - Because you had a hankering for LotR and thought it couldn't be as bad as you remember.

I don't think there are very many RTS games on console, but this would be fairly low down on the list. You know, near the bottom. Or the bottom. I've only played a few myself - Halo Wars (the best), Civilisation Revolution - very good, very fun game, Viva Pinata - also fun, though a little annoying trying to get the different species (apparently classed as RTS, though I wouldn't have thought so), and Star Trek Legacy - which is much like LotR: BfMEII. Although, it couldn't possibly be as bad as I remember it ....
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote  

Crash Override wrote:
I think you push either the back button or one of the thumbsticks down to "spot" an enemy and place a cursor over his head for you and your teammates, and for him to appear on the minimap.

You're right! This totally changes things now that I can actually help my team! (So far I still suck something awful at aiming with a console controls but that may also have been because I had the sensitivity down too low for sufficient twitch response).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Battle for Middle Earth II. One of the things I liked about it was the music, especially the 'Dwarf' songs (like Pride of the Dwarf).

Now playing Star Trek: Legacy.

What have I done?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been playing Dishonored again, this type trying not to kill anyone in the game. Not for achievements, but just to see if I can do it, and what the alternate ending is like. It's pretty hard so far, but a lot of fun trying new things and exploring new routes for levels.

The problem is that I can't find a mechanism to tell me if I accidentally killed a character. I only find out at the end of a level. I went through the entire prologue and had to re-do it because of one accident (I think I left an unconscious body too close to something that I needed to blow up).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I tried that on Deus Ex. I was having trouble with one particular area - the mech I had to fight would always explode when it died, killing the nearby unconscious guards, so I had to move the bodies away from that area, usually while being shot at by snipers. It was a lot of fun, though, as I managed to get it precisely right. I turned shooting people and running away into an art form.

Unfortunately, I still didn't get the achievement. Knowing my luck, killing the robots counted against the tally.

What's your opinion of Dishonoured? I hear good things about it, but then again I've not really been paying attention.

Taking a break from Star Trek. One thing I will say about it, though, is that it's pretty cool seeing the iconic ships fly about. It also has the voices of the captains (I can't remember if it has Sisko. Almost definitely not Janeway) - though their acting is quite lacklustre. Now playing Bioshock Infinite.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Bioshock: Infinite. Absolutely stunning. I'm not entirely sure what I liked more, the voice acting or the story. Certainly, the graphics and gameplay were top notch, but the acting so well done, the script so well crafted, that it was utterly mind-blowing, and really made me feel for the two main characters.

Now playing Gears of War 3. If I remember correctly, it was written by Karen Traviss.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Gears of War 3. The story was good, but I'm not entirely sure about the gameplay. There was less of a focus on cover shooting - a staple of the series. I could walk through most levels without bothering about ducking into cover. Of course, I'm sure the story'll be different on higher difficulties, but on normal I thought it was an odd change. Otherwise gameplay was quite solid.

Now playing Hitman: Absolution.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Hitman. I was ... a little disappointed in it. The removal of the map and the introduction of that sense thing, I actually enjoyed, but I wasn't particularly fond of the bad guys, and the actual hit part of the levels were a tiny part, sandwiched between a longer than necessary infiltration and extended extraction. However, the gameplay was very good, I enjoyed playing it.

Now playing Mass Effect 3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I too just finished Hitman yesterday. And I agree, great looking game, solid gameplay, but it just didn't feel like Hitman of the past. I didn't miss the map and thought the sence felt like a good replacement. Point shooting was a sweet add on. Story was waaaaaay whack. A.I was pretty dumb most times. Even with all of that I got 21 hours out of the single player and i will still give it a B to a B-

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Mass Effect 3. While not the strongest, I though it was quite good. The combat, while hardly a revolution, was solidly built, and presented no difficulties. The story was not very deep, but still well told. I'm a sucker for desperate last stands.

Now playing Star Trek. Again. One level is thoroughly enjoyable. It's the first level where you, as Picard, controls the Enterprise, and must seek out Sisko, in the Defiant, who is hiding amid some nebula cloud. The level achievement is to not kill any Romulans. This necessitates a lot of sneaking about, hiding in the gas clouds, hoping they don't spot you. The sight of the large warbirds through the gas, and the well judged music, make for a pleasant, tense atmosphere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Last week I brought back out Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, and finally bought Mass Effect 3.

Finished a new playthrough of Mass Effect 1 (female Shepard, mostly renegade, romanced Liara, let Ashley die). Now I'm working my way through Mass Effect 2.

I even downloaded and even bought (!) some DLC for the first time. Played Bring Down The Sky in ME1, and downloaded all the free ME2 DLC (Firewalker, Zaeed, etc.) and also bought one more (Kasumi). I'll also buy Overlord soon, and Lair of the SHadow Broker and Arrival before playing ME3.

And I've been looking at ME3 DLC too. I'll probably buy the one with Javik.

But can I tell people something I discovered (and which led me to buy ME3)?

I found the joy of watching video game playthroughs on Youtube. For example, I wanted to play the new Star Trek game (the Kirk and Spock co-op game that serves as a prequel to Into Darkness), but when I got it from the library, I saw how buggy and terrible it was. But the story still interested me (and the Star Trek comics consider the game canon). So I went on Youtube and found that someone had played the game, edited it so that it looks like one continuous run, and posted it as a playlist. I could experience the story, without playing the game.

I did a similar thing when trying to write about Clone Wars video games without playing them. You could see someone play and beat it on Youtube, with all cutscenes intact.

I found one of these playthrough playlists of Mass Effect 3, and watched about an hour of it. The vast majority of that hour was cutscenes, so it was like watching a movie. I loved it, and wanted more. Found a copy at Wal-Mart and bought it (though I didn't need to worry too much about finding a hardcopy, since all the disc did was install Origin lol).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone played Dark Souls? I know it's an old game, but I don't buy new ones and I finally got the chance to buy it when it was a $5 DL on cyber monday.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now playing Dishono(u)red. Question: what does installing the game onto the 360 harddrive do, if anything?

At first I wasn't sure about the game, but it's started to grow on me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote  

I read the Mass Effect novels recently so I've been replaying the games. I finished Mass Effect 2 (with everyone alive) and now I'm working my way through Mass Effect 3. It's lots more fun this time around. I think the first time I played ME3 I loaded a bad ME2 save (ie. half my crew was dead). It's a lot more fun seeing all the old team mates popping up, even if some of them still die.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 33 of 38