What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See that's the thing though, I'm saying don't financially support OSC. If you must read Ender's Game buy a used copy, but other than that boycott his work. That's how you stand against what he is doing. I don't plan on seeing the film and I don't own the novel, I borrowed a copy from the library when I was in high school and didn't know what he is into. You're right, he isn't entitled to be protected from the repercussions of his actions and my point was exactly that, we have the right to stand against it vocally and not buy it, but regardless of all of that the novel is still an enjoyable story and while I won't buy a new copy I'll certainly still consider buying a used one simply because of how much I like the plot and characters.

As for Polanski I still enjoy the film, but the man himself is detestable and disgusting. That's a very prime example of where one might not really be able to separate the work from the act. I, for one, still consider the story a wonderfully engaging one and I enjoy the original novel as well. But Polanski is one of the most vile creatures ever created.

The sad thing about that case, in my eyes, is that the woman Geimer claimed to have received more trauma from what she went through with the media than anything she suffered at the hands of Polanski, which says something because that was awful.

But back to the film. Its a unique film in its genre and I actually still throw it on occasionally as background noise, but I completely understand not being able to separate in that case. It was probably a bad example on my part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
The sad thing about that case, in my eyes, is that the woman Geimer claimed to have received more trauma from what she went through with the media than anything she suffered at the hands of Polanski, which says something because that was awful

I remember the case very well because I was an adult at the time. Of course, Polanski had major sympathy going for him because of Manson Family murders. Also, it being 1977 pretty much the only thing mentioned in the news was statutory rape which means it could have been consenting. I can guarantee you, there was absolutely no mention of sodomy -- it just wasn't done in those days -- although the victim being 14 was an uh oh moment. However, there was a lot of blaming the mother for letting her daughter be alone with Polanski, thus victimizing the mother as well. There just wasn't the same attitude then as now, and public opinion did not want to find fault with Polanski. If the true facts of the case had been known at the time, public opinion would have massively swung from support to "let's hang the b-tard.", which is exactly why Polanski pleaded guilty to sex with a minor. That, and the fact that the victim's family and probably the prosecutor as well wanted to spare the girl the trauma of a trial, because rape trial were very ugly for the victim back then. They're bad enough now, but in '77 they were positively medieval. With the societal attitudes being what they were in '77, I can well imagine the victim was completely traumatized by the media and the public.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
The sad thing about that case, in my eyes, is that the woman Geimer claimed to have received more trauma from what she went through with the media than anything she suffered at the hands of Polanski, which says something because that was awful

I remember the case very well because I was an adult at the time. Of course, Polanski had major sympathy going for him because of Manson Family murders. Also, it being 1977 pretty much the only thing mentioned in the news was statutory rape which means it could have been consenting. I can guarantee you, there was absolutely no mention of sodomy -- it just wasn't done in those days -- although the victim being 14 was an uh oh moment. However, there was a lot of blaming the mother for letting her daughter be alone with Polanski, thus victimizing the mother as well. There just wasn't the same attitude then as now, and public opinion did not want to find fault with Polanski. If the true facts of the case had been known at the time, public opinion would have massively swung from support to "let's hang the b-tard.", which is exactly why Polanski pleaded guilty to sex with a minor. That, and the fact that the victim's family and probably the prosecutor as well wanted to spare the girl the trauma of a trial, because rape trial were very ugly for the victim back then. They're bad enough now, but in '77 they were positively medieval. With the societal attitudes being what they were in '77, I can well
imagine the victim was completely traumatized by the media and the public.

I'm going to continue this discussion of separating art from artists via PM because this is engaging to me and I want to continue it (and it seems as though you do as well) but its getting off topic for this thread so I'll discontinue it here. Unless a thread opens up about it that is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds good, Caedus. Send me a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have begun reading A Game of Thrones. So far it has been good, but it hasn't really captured me the way other books (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) have. Some books I don't want to put down. This book, I read it in bits and pieces, but I haven't wanted to just sit down for a few hours and read it.

How do other people feel about it? (And no spoilers please - I haven't read the series before or seen the TV show).

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I dig it, but its more of a political thriller overall than an action piece so your like of it depends on how you see that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, I've been debating reading GoT for a long time. I tried watching the show but I got about an hour into the first show and was bored. It just didn't hook me.

I recently read a book I can recommend highly: The Darwin Elevator. It just came out July 30, and Del Rey has already had to rush a second printing. It's a trilogy and the second book, The Exodus Towers, releases on August 27. The third book, The Plague Forge, releases September 24. These are all paperbacks.

Anyway, it's a very well written book, and I suggest going over to Goodreads and check out the reviews there. It's rating an average of 4 stars there, but the 4 stars are at 40% and the 5 star ratings are at 35% so this is a well-received novel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote  

I'm still buying Game of Thrones on the cheap. I've got a couple of books so far. I'm waiting till I have the whole series before I begin Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For me the mythology of GOT is the most interesting part. It depends on what you find to be interesting. In terms of actual plot advancement, there is very little. Most of it is set up for a big event and then the ramifications of the big event play out until the next one, and so on.

If the central conflict that you are worried about is "When will Danaerys get to Westeros?" then you probably won't enjoy the series.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The story has one of the most rich builds I've ever read, I think DPW nailed it on the head. If you love complex world-building and such then this is definitely the book for you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The thing that's holding me back is the length. Don't get me wrong, I love long books, but they need to be good enough to deserve the length.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think that the lack of plot advancement is my difficulty with the book. I'll definitely finish it, but it's unlikely I'll ever reread it.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

GrandMaster wrote:
I have begun reading A Game of Thrones. So far it has been good, but it hasn't really captured me the way other books (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) have. Some books I don't want to put down. This book, I read it in bits and pieces, but I haven't wanted to just sit down for a few hours and read it.

How do other people feel about it? (And no spoilers please - I haven't read the series before or seen the TV show).

I haven't read Game of Thrones, but if I might make a suggestion? If you want a book that captures you and hold you right from the beginning then you might want to look into reading books by Steve Berry. He doesn't write historical fiction, but he'll take something from history and weave a story around it. I'd put it into the International intrigue genre. His books grab you and throws you right into the action....no 2-3 chapters to set the story up. I just re-read The Romanov Prophecy a second time and couldn't put it down and I knew what what happening.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

People have said for the GOT show that they weren't really into it until episode five or so, and then they were hooked. Which is five hours and halfway through the first season. That's a pretty big commitment to something that you're "meh" about, but if it pays off it could be worth it.

I would recommend to at least finish book one. I think it's the best book of the series from beginning to end. If at the end you still aren't feeling it, then you never will and you'll know.

I also personally hate to start a book and not finish it.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
The thing that's holding me back is the length. Don't get me wrong, I love long books, but they need to be good enough to deserve the length.

Quick and completely unrelated question, if there are any admins in this conversation: what is the forums policy on "That's What She Said!" jokes. I was about to post one, but don't know if that crosses some kind of inappropriate behaviour line (so I'm getting around it by posing my joke as a question, and also learning about forum decorum at the same time).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 92 of 106