What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 144, 145, 146  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm not a fan of prophecy or resurrection in my stories, so I'm glad neither of those things came about. And I do agree with Lucas that having both Anakins be part of a prophecy was a bad idea and would have come off as unoriginal to me. As for changing away from the Sith, I actually think the story worked better because they weren't Sith. So with the vetos Lucas made, I'm good with.

As for neither son dying, I can understand why people would want that, but I'm never been a fan of certain characters being unkillable for one reason for another. While I wish they built off it more, Anakin's death did lead to some good stories so I'm good with it happening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I could go either way. The NJO is my favorite EU regardless.

Anakin's death "worked" in the narrative in that it drove Jaina through her quasi trilogy of Dark Journey, Rebel Dream, and Rebel Stand and it played an important role in Traitor for Jacen. That said, Jaina's arc probably wouldn't have been diminished if Jacen's "death" was all there was to it. But there's not really any story in the latter ten books of the series for Anakin to occupy, which is probably why they carried through with it despite dropping the prophecy and the Light-Bringer "decoy" component to the story.

Also, I've put Vector Prime on hold for August and in the interim I'm reading Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void. Plus I picked up Book of Sith. I've found the Sorzus Syn stuff the most interesting thus far, as well as the Darth Plagueis stuff. I've also been re-reading the Dawn of the Jedi comic arcs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Took a break from Mercy Kill -- a short term book from my library came in and it took precedence -- but am now back to reading it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm wrapping up my summer vacation by reading The Last Command this week.

In more recent weeks, thanks to a friend loaning me some of his books, I've read Revan, Deceived, and Red Harvest along with Lost Tribe of the Sith. I thought Revan was kind of weak and Deceived wasn't much better. I think they hinge a little too much on familiarity with KOTOR and TOR. Red Harvest was actually rather good, though still a little too ghoulish(ironic, considering I read the entire book in a single day) for my tastes. Lost Tribe was pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Mansfield Park. It was decent enough, although I'm not a fan of the way Austen ends her books. I really enjoyed Fanny, though, especially after the sisters went away. And I couldn't help but laugh at the portrayal of my birth city, Portsmouth. Accurate, though.

Now reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

I suspect thou art the sole reader of this,
so please share thy thoughts when finished.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Hogy wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

I suspect thou art the sole reader of this,
so please share thy thoughts when finished.

This is quite a shame, as it's really rather good. And I will do! Perhaps even in the style of Shakespeare.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm re-reading Outbound Flight. I had forgotten how good this book was.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

AdmiralSteven wrote:

Just finished this. It was ok.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Mad Wook wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:

Just finished this. It was ok.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So far I can't put it down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just finished Mercy Kill. I really enjoyed it once I got into it, I'd like to read more about the new wraiths. I liked the relationship development between Piggy and Scut.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I re-read through the Black Fleet trilogy. I think Luke's arc in it is really good. It's to some extent the same arc that Jacen goes through in the New Jedi Order, albeit abbreviated, and Luke's coming at it from a different perspective.

"I found the Force at a time when what I needed was power. I wanted a weapon to protect my friends, not enlightenment. I was thinking of war against the Empire, not peace with the universe. Perhaps something of that lingers in how I see myself."

pg. 161 Shield of Lies

"It's not about waging war, Anakin. It's about finding peace, and your place in the galaxy."

pg. 83 Vector Prime (HC)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just started Crucible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Re-reading The Approaching Storm.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 139 of 146