Quote or Question for the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You see, I was actually thinking of Star Trek when I wrote this. I only saw the two Abrams films and I kind of liked the first one but I loved Into Darkness. So I don't really think I can go around calling myself a Star Trek fan based on my love for Into Darkness. Some real trekkies might start to pepper me with questions about the first movies or the tv show! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think, like Joe, you can call yourself a fan, part of the fandom, if you like just one film, book, comic, game or what have you. Saying someone isn't a true fan at any point beyond that is a slippery slope*. However, you would need a qualifier, again like Joe being a mild ST fan, if such need arises. I would say I'm a big SW fan. But if someone says to me they a SW fan, I'd say 'Great!' And that would probably lead to a fun conversation.

*That wasn't directed at you, it's just something that has come up in past conversations and quite annoys me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
*That wasn't directed at you, it's just something that has come up in past conversations and quite annoys me.

Don't worry, I've also encountered people in conversations, mostly Lord of the Rings nerds, who accuses other people of not being a "real/true fan" because they only watched the movies and not read the books. I have too only read the first book but watched all the movies (including The Hobbit) and still call myself a Lord of the Rings fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Yes, I've come across a few people like that. When you look at the definition of such things, it's always basic, always 'fans like x', not 'fans have read every single thing' or 'fans have collected every piece of memorabilia', but the basic 'fans like x'. It's not a requisite to have done so.

Oh feck it, I'm going to have to add some more things to my signature now. This thing just keeps getting longer and longer ....
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Imo if you see or read something and you feel the love, you're a fan. Quantity isn't the issue.

For instance, I've seen the LOTR trilogy. I liked them, but I'd never describe myself as a LOTR's fan. While I was entertained, it didn't bring on the love. Definitely not a Tolkien fan because I can't stand his writing style. I've tried several times to read his books, and I just can't get into them. So, nope, not a fan.

Another example would be Marvel. I read some Thor comics when I was a kid but that's it. However I love the Marvel movies and really want to see more, so I'm a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I LOVE The Dark Knight Trilogy. The three of them are my favourite movies ever (yes, even more than Star Wars). However, that's really where my Batman fandom ends. I've tried reading several graphic novels and while I found them interesting I just couldn't get into them like the movies. There's no Christian Bale, no Christopher Nolan, no Michael Cain, no Heath Ledger, no kevlar armour, no Tumbler etc. It just isn't the same. I'm also not much of a comics guy generally. I've been meaning to watch the older Batman movies though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I LOVE The Dark Knight Trilogy. The three of them are my favourite movies ever (yes, even more than Star Wars). However, that's really where my Batman fandom ends. I've tried reading several graphic novels and while I found them interesting I just couldn't get into them like the movies. There's no Christian Bale, no Christopher Nolan, no Michael Cain, no Heath Ledger, no kevlar armour, no Tumbler etc. It just isn't the same. I'm also not much of a comics guy generally. I've been meaning to watch the older Batman movies though.

There's a few Batman novels set in the same continuity as the Nolan films. One is co-written by Michael Reaves. There's "Dead White," "Fear Itself," and "Inferno." "Dead White" and "Inferno" have audio dramas that are fully cast.

As for the earlier films, I think the Tim Burton ones are interesting in the sense that they're so stylistic. They seem to be set in modern day but the fashion and style of design and architecture is 1920s noir.

But I find myself in the same boat with comic books in general. I think my knowledge of Batman or Superman is probably greater than the average person, but it's mostly through osmosis and I haven't read every single comic for either. I've never read ongoing for either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I did not know that! I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

@Reep, there are some Batman graphic novels that might tickle your fancy if your fandom is set in the Nolan movies.

Namely, Frank Miller's Batman: Year One and its spiritual sequel, Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale's Batman: The Long Halloween.

These were the books that were most heavily drawn from when making Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. They're very noir and don't go too deep into superpowers and the like.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote  

Now that I have a 360 I've been seriously considering upgrading my TV from an old tube TV to an HDTV. As I've discovered playing Halo and Battlefield 3 on my old tube TV sometimes the low resolution can make a game more frustrating than fun since I can't always see an enemy until I'm right on top of them.

Doing research into what TV to get I've heard that, unlike tube TVs, HDTVs have input lag (whose amount varies from model to model) between receiving the signal from the source and displaying it on the screen. Now I get that the input lag is in miliseconds, not seconds but I don't want to go and buy a TV thinking the miliseconds won't be noticeable only to find that they are. So to my fellow gamers out there who have experience playing games on HDTVs how noticeable are those miliseconds?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Honestly, it depends on the system. I had problems with my Wii (especially when playing Gamecube games on it). The lag was *just* long enough to mess up action timing.

That said, any good HDTV will have a "game mode", which will reduce any lag.

I don't use the game mode when playing PS3, since I never noticed any problems. Only on the Wii have there been lag issues. Since an XBox 360 is closer to a PS3 than a Wii, I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, make sure you figure out if the TV has a gaming mode, and it will be fine.

A few tips that I learned:

1- Don't buy Plasma. They're great TVs, but I almost ruined my parents plasma TV when I left the Wii on pause for an hour. Plasma burn is a real thing, and while it isn't a problem for most people, it can be for gamers.

2- 1080P, and at least 120 Hz (not sure what that last stat refers to, but I'm told that 60 Hz TVs aren't as good for gaming.)

3- Do not overspend on HDMI cables. A cheap HDMI cable may produce lag, but it will be imperceptibly small. I buy mine from Costco, for like $50 for a two-pack.

4- CNET is your friend.

5- Some models have really bad glare on the screen from lights in the room. I had to return a TV because the glare was so bad. Try to look at the floor model at a angle where a light reflects off it, and see how bad it is. The good ones just reflect a dull glow, but bad ones can be like mirrors.

6- Ask the guy all the questions you want (there are no stupid questions when you're buying a $500-$1000 TV), but resist when he pushes the expensive HDMI cables (because he probably will).

I got a 40" LCD television a couple of years ago, when my old tube TV suddenly died. Bought one at Costco, but the glare was bad, the remote was awful, and it had too few ports. So I returned it the next day, and bought a very similar one from Future Shop (almost identical, but with a better remote, no glare, and more ports). I honestly think the Costco one was the knock-off cheap equivalent of the good one I bought.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The reason that some people don't want to come out as Cosplayers is that they are worried people will think they are Furries. If you don't know what that is, don't google it. Believe me.

Fan exclusivity is dumb. If you are a LOTR Fan you love all things LOTR. But if you're a fan of the movies, then you need not necessarily like anything else and that's totally fine and you are still a true fan.

Now I don't quite get why you would love a movie and not want to read the books that it is based on, but what I really don't understand is the people who actively hate on the source material of something that they claim to love. It happens all the time with Game Of Thrones. People say, "I love the show, but I'm not some nerd that reads Fantasy books."

Also a lot of SW movie fans hate the EU too. Yet those losers also like the Clone Wars TV show.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote  

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Honestly, it depends on the system. I had problems with my Wii (especially when playing Gamecube games on it). The lag was *just* long enough to mess up action timing.

That said, any good HDTV will have a "game mode", which will reduce any lag.

I don't use the game mode when playing PS3, since I never noticed any problems. Only on the Wii have there been lag issues. Since an XBox 360 is closer to a PS3 than a Wii, I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, make sure you figure out if the TV has a gaming mode, and it will be fine.

A few tips that I learned:

1- Don't buy Plasma. They're great TVs, but I almost ruined my parents plasma TV when I left the Wii on pause for an hour. Plasma burn is a real thing, and while it isn't a problem for most people, it can be for gamers.

Thanks! I was leaning towards plasma because CNET (ironically) said it isn't a problem even for gamers. Reading a few reviews on Amazon seemed to be saying otherwise so I was starting to feel iffy about that.

*EDIT* I should add that, given the time I have in grad school I probably wouldn't have gaming sessions for longer than 2 hours. Still not sure plasma is a good idea.

Quote:
2- 1080P, and at least 120 Hz (not sure what that last stat refers to, but I'm told that 60 Hz TVs aren't as good for gaming.)

I've heard likewise, I'll have to see what's on the market I guess.

Quote:
3- Do not overspend on HDMI cables. A cheap HDMI cable may produce lag, but it will be imperceptibly small. I buy mine from Costco, for like $50 for a two-pack.

I think Amazon's in house brand is some of the cheapest I've seen so I was going to go with that but thanks for reinforcing that there's nothing wrong with buying cheap cables!

Quote:

4- CNET is your friend.

good to know I'm not the only one who trusts them!

Quote:

5- Some models have really bad glare on the screen from lights in the room. I had to return a TV because the glare was so bad. Try to look at the floor model at a angle where a light reflects off it, and see how bad it is. The good ones just reflect a dull glow, but bad ones can be like mirrors.

haha I doubt glare will be too bad (I already put blackout curtains on my bedroom windows to eliminate glare on my current tube tv). I'm more concerned of off angle viewing since the way I have to set up my room to make everything fit I sit off center of the screen (my bed takes up the space dead center of the screen, I could sit on the bed I suppose but I prefer a chair with a back rest). That's why I was thinking about plasma since I've heard it has better off angle viewing.

Quote:
6- Ask the guy all the questions you want (there are no stupid questions when you're buying a $500-$1000 TV), but resist when he pushes the expensive HDMI cables (because he probably will).

I got a 40" LCD television a couple of years ago, when my old tube TV suddenly died. Bought one at Costco, but the glare was bad, the remote was awful, and it had too few ports. So I returned it the next day, and bought a very similar one from Future Shop (almost identical, but with a better remote, no glare, and more ports). I honestly think the Costco one was the knock-off cheap equivalent of the good one I bought.

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably buy my TV at Best Buy or Sears (maybe Target) as those stores are closest to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

^^Regarding glare, it's not just the glare from the sun, but also from the lights in the room itself. A lamp that's in front of the TV (even behind you) can produce glare, and bad screens can reflect terribly. I'm happy that mine just produces a faint glow, even from the overhead light that points directly at the screen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My family still has tube TVs as well... One of the reasons I don't have the SW Blu-Rays. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 26 of 27