What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Speaking of good audiobooks, most of the Series of Unfortunate Events audiobooks are narrated by Tim Curry and are absolutely wonderful. They were great to listen to on long road trips when I was a kid.

Audiobooks are best when the narrator is good. My wife and I listened to The Fault In Our Stars on a recent road trip, but we bought the special edition read by the author (the real audiobook that Penguin sells is narrated by a young woman, given the fact that the story is told from the POV of Hazel, a 16-year-old girl, but DFTBA Records sells one narrated by John Green, who is a wonderful speaker).

I'm also looking forward to getting the audiobook for World War Z from the library, which was done more as an audio drama. Since it's a series of short stories anyway, they got a full cast for each narrator, and it's a lot of big celebrities (noting that Max Brooks is the son of legendary film star Mel Brooks, he had access to quite a talent pool).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AdmiralSteven wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
I have begun reading A Game of Thrones. So far it has been good, but it hasn't really captured me the way other books (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) have. Some books I don't want to put down. This book, I read it in bits and pieces, but I haven't wanted to just sit down for a few hours and read it.

How do other people feel about it? (And no spoilers please - I haven't read the series before or seen the TV show).

I haven't read Game of Thrones, but if I might make a suggestion? If you want a book that captures you and hold you right from the beginning then you might want to look into reading books by Steve Berry. He doesn't write historical fiction, but he'll take something from history and weave a story around it. I'd put it into the International intrigue genre. His books grab you and throws you right into the action....no 2-3 chapters to set the story up. I just re-read The Romanov Prophecy a second time and couldn't put it down and I knew what what happening.

I bought Romanov Prophecy a few years ago. You're right; it is a good book. Some have knocked Steve for his writing style, but personally I rather like it. The last few chapters of RP in particular are amazing, with (I'm going to use spoiler tags here just in case)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I've also read The Third Secret and The Columbus Affair. TS is rather forgettable, but CA is very good.

Have you read any of Berry's Cotton Malone series? I tried to read Templar Legacy a few years ago but couldn't really get into it. I'm thinking about giving the series another go, though, because his two recent works, The Tudor Plot and The King's Deception both deal with English history, which I'm a sucker for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Do those Romanov books feature Rasputin? If so, I may be interested.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Do those Romanov books feature Rasputin? If so, I may be interested.

Romanov Prophecy does feature Rasputin, yes, but its the only Romanov centered work that Steve Berry has written so far.

In RP, Rasputin makes an important prophecy (hence the title) in the prologue about the Revolution and the family. He doesn't appear in the rest of the book, obviously, but as the main protagonist learns more about the prophecy and it actually starts to unfold, its almost like you can sense Rasputin's spirit in the background.

Interestingly enough, I stumbled across another Rasputin novel on Amazon, Rasputin's Shadow, that's set to come out on October 8th and I'd like to read that one. The author is Raymond Khoury.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

sounds good. I dunno about Khoury. His first couple books were about the Templars, Davinci Code kinda stuff. Not terrible, but merely "meh" to me.

Not to be a snob, but I prefer real history or historical novels about secret societies, instead of books set in modern times about an ancient secret society trying to push some rubegoldberg plot and being foiled by clarice sterling/ Jack Ryan/ Jack Reacher etc.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
sounds good. I dunno about Khoury. His first couple books were about the Templars, Davinci Code kinda stuff. Not terrible, but merely "meh" to me.

Not to be a snob, but I prefer real history or historical novels about secret societies, instead of books set in modern times about an ancient secret society trying to push some rubegoldberg plot and being foiled by clarice sterling/ Jack Ryan/ Jack Reacher etc.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. When I tried to read Berry's Templar Legacy it just didn't click, because I felt it was going over some old ground from Da Vinci Code even though it had a far different plot angle from DVC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished William Shakespeare's Star Wars. I'll post fuller thoughts on Monday, but I'll simply say now that it was quite positively received, and well written.

Now reading Persuasion by Jane Austen.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Started The Romanov Prophecy and The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill - Visions of Glory, 1874-1932 yesterday. Should have RP finished by the end of the week, hopefully, but VOG is going to take a good deal longer, and I'm planning to read Alone, 1932-1940 and Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965 once I finish VOG. All that could take me until Christmas, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm rereading Catching Fire at home and at work, I'm listening to A Storm of Swords.

I wouldn't "read" nearly as much as I do without audiobooks...I just don't have the same amount of free time that I used to have when I was younger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bianca Christine wrote:
I'm rereading Catching Fire

I have to re-read that sometime before the movie comes out.

I'm finishing up The Darkest Road, the final book in the "Fionavar Tapestry".

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished my audiobook of Paul of Dune. I'm about halfway through Dune: House Atreides.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep wrote:
Bianca Christine wrote:
I'm rereading Catching Fire

I have to re-read that sometime before the movie comes out.

That's what I'm doing. Smile

I listened to the audiobooks the first time around...so actually "reading" it is nice. Either last year, or earlier this year, Amazon had a sale...and I got the Kindle version of the entire trilogy for $5. I couldn't pass up that kind of deal. :D

I don't have a Kindle, but the Kindle App on my Android phone works just fine. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not really into audiobooks. Someone else reading a book to me out loud? That's what my parents use to do to put me to sleep when I was a kid.

I'd need the opposite of George Costanza, I'd need to hear someone with my voice reading it.

I only like them for nonfiction books because it's more like someone giving a lecture, which I'm OK with. Just not someone reading a book, I just can't follow that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
I have begun reading A Game of Thrones. So far it has been good, but it hasn't really captured me the way other books (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) have. Some books I don't want to put down. This book, I read it in bits and pieces, but I haven't wanted to just sit down for a few hours and read it.

How do other people feel about it? (And no spoilers please - I haven't read the series before or seen the TV show).

I haven't read Game of Thrones, but if I might make a suggestion? If you want a book that captures you and hold you right from the beginning then you might want to look into reading books by Steve Berry. He doesn't write historical fiction, but he'll take something from history and weave a story around it. I'd put it into the International intrigue genre. His books grab you and throws you right into the action....no 2-3 chapters to set the story up. I just re-read The Romanov Prophecy a second time and couldn't put it down and I knew what what happening.

I bought Romanov Prophecy a few years ago. You're right; it is a good book. Some have knocked Steve for his writing style, but personally I rather like it. The last few chapters of RP in particular are amazing, with (I'm going to use spoiler tags here just in case)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I've also read The Third Secret and The Columbus Affair. TS is rather forgettable, but CA is very good.

Have you read any of Berry's Cotton Malone series? I tried to read Templar Legacy a few years ago but couldn't really get into it. I'm thinking about giving the series another go, though, because his two recent works, The Tudor Plot and The King's Deception both deal with English history, which I'm a sucker for.

I have read the first 2 book of the Cotton Malone series and love it. I would give it another go. Someone posted that the Templar legacy is too much like The Da Vinci Code, and I can see that, but it is a good book. Steve Berry's books takes you right into the action, and that's what I love about his books. I, too, want to read The Tudor Plot and The King's Deception, but haven't gotten around to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I forgot that The Book Thief is going to be adapted into a movie. I'll need to re-read that along with Catching Fire for November in the near future.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 94 of 111