Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Afleck has the physical attributes and acting skills to pull this however I can't imagine a convincing Batman voice coming from his mouth.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Who really cares? He's just going to have a cameo in Man Of Steel 2, which is going to suck.

A Justice League movie is probably never going to happen since every part of setting it up has bombed so far. Green Lantern bombed. MOS barely floated. Wonder Woman fell apart in development hell. If they do a Flash movie it will bomb too.

The new Spiderman was a marginal success because of the Marvel hype and on account of the last one sucked. They have no such precedent with Batman, and doing another Batman movie anytime in the next five years will doom it.

DC dropped the ball and they think that they can seriously stand toe to toe with Marvels Avengers movie franchise just based on the lingering popularity of Nolan's Batman.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Who really cares? He's just going to have a cameo in Man Of Steel 2, which is going to suck.

Dude, have you seen the logo for Man of Steel 2? I will be very surprised if Affleck's role is limited to a cameo. He's a principle character of the movie.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Saw The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones on Saturday night.

I had fun with it. My wife, who loved the books, didn't care much for it (it diverged from the books in some serious ways that she didn't like).

My biggest problem was that it left out critical parts of the backstory. If you read the book, you got it. But as someone who didn't read it, I was out of the loop. I don't think it was intentional; I think they tried to cut out backstory that was above and beyond the story they were telling (you can't include every story element from the book). But that choice wasn't executed well, and I was left wondering "what's his deal?"

But I had fun, and that's the minimum I expect from any movie.

I also decided to re-watch Star Trek: Nemesis and District 9 yesterday. Good times. Also: most of Season 1 of Modern Family (one of the funniest shows on TV right now.)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I also decided to re-watch Star Trek: Nemesis and District 9 yesterday.

Nemesis has gotten a lot of flak for its well justified plot holes and the chase sequence on Kolarus III is a little stupid, but I enjoy it far more than the clunky Insurrection and Generations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

A Justice League movie is probably never going to happen since every part of setting it up has bombed so far. Green Lantern bombed. MOS barely floated. Wonder Woman fell apart in development hell. If they do a Flash movie it will bomb too.

The new Spiderman was a marginal success because of the Marvel hype and on account of the last one sucked. They have no such precedent with Batman, and doing another Batman movie anytime in the next five years will doom it.

DC dropped the ball and they think that they can seriously stand toe to toe with Marvels Avengers movie franchise just based on the lingering popularity of Nolan's Batman.

Batman will have much more than a cameo in MoS2. And from what it looks like, they'll introduce Flash, Wonder Woman, etc. in Justice League before giving them spin-off films because they aren't very marketable by themselves. (But, then again, neither was Iron Man back in the day...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
they aren't very marketable by themselves. (But, then again, neither was Iron Man back in the day...)

I don't know what you mean by this. Are you saying that until the first Iron Man movie Iron Man wasn't considered marketable? Maybe that's true, but the plan from film one was always to build up to Avengers.

I really have no idea if making a Justice League movie and then making spin offs will work for DC, but I'm reasonably certain that it wouldn't have worked for Marvel which is why they did the reverse. Going back to Iron Man, would his film have worked if he was first introduced in a stand alone Avengers film before going solo? Hard to say. Probably not.

I say that Superman was a bomb because it didn't do very good, but it was actually a success because it did better than projected. Yes, DC was counting on it bombing.

Why would they do that? Because Superman was a test. I think superman 2 will be a test as well. Based on that I think that we can expect to see at least one more DC movie going forward...perhaps Wonder Woman in Superman 3?... until Justice League. Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Olympus Has Fallen.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen.

Free advice: watch "White House Down."

My analysis: both of these movies are the same concept (terrorists take over the White House, President trapped inside, Only One Man Can Save The Day^(tm), and there's a subplot involving a child). Basically Die Hard, in the White House.

Olympus Has Fallen is that, played straight.

White House Down is that, but played over-the-top. It's a lot less realistic, but a lot more fun.

My wife and I had more fun with White House Down, because we were spending a lot of time laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Olympus Has Fallen could have been so much better, but it was very awkwardly paced IMO, and Gerard Butler's acting was a bit laughable. I was looking forward to it, but I was very disappointed when I saw it opening weekend...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen.

Free advice: watch "White House Down."

My analysis: both of these movies are the same concept (terrorists take over the White House, President trapped inside, Only One Man Can Save The Day^(tm), and there's a subplot involving a child). Basically Die Hard, in the White House.

Olympus Has Fallen is that, played straight.

White House Down is that, but played over-the-top. It's a lot less realistic, but a lot more fun.

My wife and I had more fun with White House Down, because we were spending a lot of time laughing.

I intend to rent WHD when it comes out on DVD.

Joe, I thought the pacing was fine and Butler played his role pretty good. It's the near constant s- and f-bombs that really irritated me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Stay far away from Elysium then... Razz

When regarding the pacing to OHF, it just seemed that they tried to drag on fast-paced action sequences out too long. The 25-minute scene of people doing nothing but shooting each other on the White House lawn reminded me so much of the battle at the middle/end of Transformers 3. It just felt so awkward and I felt they could have gotten the point across in shorter time, while focusing on other scenes.

Not saying it was a bad film, but I had high-hopes going into it and I was disappointed.

This is in contrast to White House Down, which I thought was going to suck, but I was pleasantly surprised. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Forget that, watch Air Force One.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Transformers 4 Title Revealed:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/03/transformers-4-title-buzz-chinese-cast-new-car

May consider seeing in in theaters, but to me it's just a spin off Transformers series that just happens to be set in the same universe as the previous 3 movies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Forget that, watch Air Force One.

I second that!

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 157 of 186