Syria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syria
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It's emerged that Syria have considered, or are considering, using chemical or biological weapons on the rebels. Unconfirmed reports say that said weapons already have been used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18864629

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18963720

What are your thoughts on this?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote  

My thought is: war is a messy business.

I haven't been following the fighting too much. On one hand you wonder if the international community should stay out of it and let them sort this out on their own. If the rebels win, they will have earned their independence and will have the satisfaction of having done it on their own and without anyone's help. Plus they won't be in debt to anyone.

On the other hand, if the international community steps in, you have to wonder if it will actually be better for the country. Countries don't step in for unselfish reasons. They always want something in return.j

As far as biological/chemical warfare goes, that seems to be a pretty dumb move. How can the government/army be sure innocent civilians won't be hurt by such force? And if they don't care, it'll only make themselves that much more hated and easily disposed of.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Syrian government have already proved they don't care about innocent civilians. Hundreds, if not thousands, have already died in indiscriminate bomb attacks. That, as much as anything, is what has prompted calls for international intervention.

Re: Syria
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

I honestly don't think people really care. Many Americans I know are deeply conflicted about what size popcorn to buy while watching the latest Hollywood drivel at the theater. They have a hard enough time spending two minutes to read an article, much less care about whats happening.

The value of life is cheap nowadays. That we would lend aid to suffering Syrians is doubtful, given the fact we believe it is our moral right to murder 1.2 million of our own children every single year.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The USA has now given just over $52 million in emergency aid to Syria.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Corellias Dream wrote:
The USA has now given just over $52 million in emergency aid to Syria.

A single five-day telethon in Saudi Arabia collected $72 million in aid. That was just citizens. [Financial Times] (the link appears to have a paywall, so just search for "telethon saudi arabia ft.")

While Russia continues to support the Syrian regime and ship tons of vehicles and weapons to them, the United States donates what amounts to almost nothing and engages in the most light rhetoric it can. The United States does not want to get involved, and clearly, it has not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I guess you're reading different news reports to me. Obama meeting with Putin to try and gain his help in getting Assad to stand down seems more than 'light rhetoric'.

Assad is Russia's strongest ally in the Middle East. A regime change there would damage Russia's presense in the region. Russia don't want change and have used their veto to prevent stronger UN sanctions. It's highly unlikely that they would agree to any UN troops being sent in; Even worse would be the USA acting alone.

Relations between Russia and the USA have not been helped by Mitt Romney identifying Russia as the single biggest threat to the USA. That man really has a knack for offending people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So... does anyone think the chemical attack was a set up? I am by no means an expert in this conflict, but for what it's worth, I suspect the rebels in Syria used chemical weapons, but made it look like the attack was done by the Bashar Al-Assad regime to draw the U. S. into the war. Feel free to ridicule.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think we should stay out of it and definitely should not put troops on the ground. Syria's done nothing to hurt the US or the other Western nations; this is an internal affair. Seriously. I don't condone what happened in any way and wouldn't wish it on anyone, but do we really need to stick our noses in Syrian affairs?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Syria has repeatedly fired missiles into Turkey which is a member of NATO. If Turkey invokes Article 5 of the NATO security umbrella, which they have every right and justification to do so, we're probably going to support that -- we probably have to. Cruise missiles launches from ships in the Mediterranean wouldn't even require U.S. pilots flying over Syrian air space. Turkey is our ally and of absolutely critical importance to the stability of the region. Turkey is also the only secular state that is also Muslim country. You can thank Ataturk for that. I mean that in all sincerity.

Also if the Arab League endorsed military action as they did in regards to Gadhafi, it would provide the necessary legitimacy for international military action against Syria.

As one writer put it, Syria is the problem from hell. You've got a proxy war going on there between Al Qaeda and Hezbollah, and no matter who ends up winning in Syria, the new government isn't going to be our friend -- which is certainly ironic since the Assads themselves fought proxy wars in the region in regards to Lebanon. But that doesn't mean the world can stand by and not respond.

Okay, so black humor here, but I sometimes think we should just move everyone in the Middle East up to the arctic circle so they can learn to chill out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For you tweeters, remember to mark this #HELLONSA
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1