Fan Phenomena - Star Wars is a cool book that is a collection of essays covering the phenomena of the Star Wars franchise and the fandom that creates and supports it. The book covers a range of topics...
- Fashion (Cosplay, high street fashion trends)
- Language (eg. Slang, parlance, dialect; words and phrases particular to each ‘phenomenon’)
- Fan Media (fan fiction, art, fan films)
- The virtual (videogames, fan-films, role-play, blogs, fan forums)
- Philosophies (cod-religions that have evolved from the source phenomena)
- Economics (merchandise, branding, memorabilia)
It also mentions a few members of the fandom, including fanzines, fanfilms and fansites such as EUCantina. I thought the shout outs to fansites was pretty neat.
"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood