What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Persuasion. This wasn't a terribly good book, for me. In fact, it rather summed up what I don't like about Austen. First, which isn't her fault, is the prose of the era. It's never really sat well with me, and I think that's because it's in the English language's awkward teen years. It's still got some resemblance of past stories, but it's trying to grow into a more 'modern' language, that turns up just a few short years later. Secondly, it's Austen's own writing - which, again to be fair, may just be a product of the times. I just don't like the narrative. It jumps quickly from one perspective to another, includes asides, mid conversation, that don't really give any hint as to whether it's in narrative or in dialogue. Lastly, it's the stories themselves. Granted, I've only read three cover to cover and am familiar with another, but they don't really change. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, per se, but Persuasion lacked character, and so it was more noticeable this time round. In all stories, two love interests, one the one she ends up with, and is altogether rather obvious about it, and the other is one she 'could never love', and is in all three justified in such disliking by his poor behaviour. Beyond that, I haven't really seen the period of courtship. In Emma, the love interest was always there, as was the love, and it took the circumstances for her to realise that she loved him. There was no falling. In Mansfield Park, it deviates slightly. There's an instance where this falling could have started, but then Austen skips over a few years, so we never really see it develop. In Persuasion, the falling happened years ago, and it's the second chance we see.

However, though this book was my least favourite, it does include two of my favourite bits of writing. The first is a speech by the main character, in the 23rd chapter. As she gives this speech to a mutual friend of hers and her interest, her interest is within earshot. It's certainly quite evocative. The second happens immediately after, and is the letter her interest writes her.

Now reading Red Dragon. I can't believe I've never thought to read it before. Alongside it, I'm watching the movies, starting with Silence of the Lambs, then Hannibal, then Red Dragon and finishing with Manhunter (unless I'm recording the wrong one).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just finished The Catcher In the Rye by J. D. Salinger. Salinger really nailed depression. Holy cow. Now for some lighter reading: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LIP, why are you watching the movies in reverse order?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Save for Manhunter, I'm watching them in release order, rather than chronological order. Manhunter I've been saving until last because I don't have it on DVD, and had to wait until it was on TV. I'm doing it in release order because I think it's interesting to see Hopkins' performance change from the three, specifically in that order. Seeing Red Dragon first, I don't know, but it seems off. Although that could just be a faulty memory, I haven't seen it in a long time.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

"Fairyland" wasn't really gripping me so I'm re-reading Ingo by Helen Dunmore.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I just finished re-reading a bunch of my comic books so that I could put them away (I bought a new long-box, and my temporary bookshelf-storage was filling up). I read the first arcs of Thor: God of Thunder, Captain Marvel (with Carol Danvers), All-New X-Men, Journey into Mystery (with Sif), Indestructible Hulk, and some random issues I had lying around of Astonishing X-Men (the ones associated with Northstar and Kyle's wedding).

Next up is my new Trade of "Guardians of the Galaxy".
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Red Dragon. The writing style was not exactly to my taste, but the story was so good that I could overlook that. I've not read the book before, and only seen the movies, and I noticed one or two differences - naturally. I may just be remembering the films incorrectly. Not that they took anything away from either, it's just something I thought to point out.

Now reading Pride and Prejudice.

I'd also like to read the original Grimm's fairy tales. It's been a bit of a problem, trying to find the originals online - mainly because I worry that I'm not actually reading the originals. Does anyone know a good, reliable place? I'm reading the ones here: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Grimm_fairy_tales_Margaret_Hunt.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished P&P. It was nice. Just nice. Although, watching several adaptations at the same time did make it more interesting: namely the previously mentioned Lizzie Bennet Diaries, and the Bollywood version, Bride and Prejudice. Utterly fantastic.

Now reading Silence Of The Lambs.

I've stopped my read-through of the Grimm fairy tales, because I have to read something else. Twilight.

I, er, lost a bet Sad .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote  

@Life: how was Twilight?

Recently I finished Five By Five 2: No Surrender, a military sci-fi anthology with five novellas by five different authors: Aaron Allston, Kevin J. Anderson, William C. Dietz, R.M. Meluch and Brad Torgersen. Overall, pretty good anthology. I liked all of the stories excerpt Torgersen's cause his didn't have an ending, it just was a teaser for some bigger series.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I've stopped my read-through of the Grimm fairy tales, because I have to read something else. Twilight.

I, er, lost a bet Sad .

You poor...poor b@$****.

Seriously though, read it as a work of psychological manipulation and you can slog through it. I made it a full 100 pages or so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What. Have. I. DONE?!

It's - it's - what the hell is this rubbish? I'm sincerely regretting getting the ebook, because I really want to burn this thing. Skuls, I'm not that far in, but I really don't like it. The writing is appalling and the characters - oh god, I can't even articulate how bad they are. My reaction to them goes from my mind going numb, unable to comprehend the awfulness to 'I think my head will explode'. By the end of the book, I think I just might turn into the Hulk. Radiation is not needed. Read this and you'll turn into a big green rage monster.

@Caedus: That's certainly how it reads, and it makes much more sense that way. It just - what?! This is romantic? No.

You know what's the worst part? I have to read all of the books. If I don't make it, I love you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LIFE: do they still make cliff notes?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

@Life: Do yourself a favour and DO NOT READ THE NOVELIZATION OF ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

I read that book as part of an ill-begotten plan to read all Clone Wars materials. One of my big problems was that Anakin's introspection about Padmé sounds way too much like Bella.

Note: I have not read Twilight, but my wife has and she shared with me criticisms about how there will be several page introspections about how hot Edward is.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Look at it this way, Life, at least now you'll get all those "still a better love story than Twilight" memes.

Last edited by Cerrinea on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Taral: It was still better than the film version...

@Life: If you must slog your way through the rest read it as a manipulation of the mindset of the person reading it. When I tried I noticed a few things that made me immensely disturbed. The first was that the main character has little to no description, yet her love interest is described down to the last detail and it allows the sad, lonely reader to slide right into the main character's slot. Only in the second book (so I've been told) does she finally take more than an ethereal form. Secondly, take a look at the relationship. Its abusive, its violent, its got a bit of a masochistic vibe to it. Depression and loneliness (psychologically speaking) can cause a latching tendency wherein the subject in question would rather suffer with someone to hang onto in their broken life than to be separated from them and that is exactly the plot of the 'novel'. Using these two things to look at it as a curiosity I was able to make over 100 pages before I chucked it away in disgust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 95 of 106