Changes to all the Films
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

He's no Keanu Reeves.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^Very true.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's a good question: Are there any changes you've actually liked better than the original?

Call me sacrilegious for saying this, but I thought the Special Edition ending to RotJ (excluding Hayden's ghost) was vastly superior to the Yub Nub song. It pains me to say it because I'm usually against Lucas tinkering with the films to that extent. However, the new ending is much more appropriate to end an epic trilogy.

I also really don't mind Morrison's Boba Fett. I actually like the new voice better, but I admit it wasn't necessary to dub it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

All the changes to the Death Star battle in ANH are superior to the original. The CGI ships move faster and have better movements on the screen.

In fact, I prefer most of the altered versions to the original. I really only have issues with Greedo/Han and that's mostly the way it's done, it's a sloppy cut that makes no sense visually, the Jabba scene because of how bad Jabba looks, and the loss of "Bring my Shuttle" and addition of the pointless shuttle landing scene.

Vader's No in ROTJ is a take it or leave it for me. It doesn't bother me that it's there.

If you have avoided buying the Blu-rays because of 4 seconds of footage you are doing yourself a massive disservice. The movies look beautiful and the special features are incredible.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Murray1134 wrote:
All the changes to the Death Star battle in ANH are superior to the original. The CGI ships move faster and have better movements on the screen.

In fact, I prefer most of the altered versions to the original. I really only have issues with Greedo/Han and that's mostly the way it's done, it's a sloppy cut that makes no sense visually, the Jabba scene because of how bad Jabba looks, and the loss of "Bring my Shuttle" and addition of the pointless shuttle landing scene.

Vader's No in ROTJ is a take it or leave it for me. It doesn't bother me that it's there.

If you have avoided buying the Blu-rays because of 4 seconds of footage you are doing yourself a massive disservice. The movies look beautiful and the special features are incredible.

Some of the changes really irk me, but I can't deny the quality of the Blu-Rays. I saw the ESB and RotJ Blu-Rays theatrically screened at CVI and they were absolutely gorgeous. The only reason I don't have them is because they're kind of pointless when you don't have an HDTV.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Vader's "Noooooooo!" never really bothered me. It just didn't really make a difference to how I saw the movie.
Now the one change I really liked was Hayden Christensen as Anakin's Force Ghost. It just made me more emotional seeing an Anakin I actually recognized than an old man I've never seen before in the whole series!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Darth Vader's "Noooooooo!" never really bothered me. It just didn't really make a difference to how I saw the movie.
Now the one change I really liked was Hayden Christensen as Anakin's Force Ghost. It just made me more emotional seeing an Anakin I actually recognized than an old man I've never seen before in the whole series!

That's because you view these things through the lens of the prequels as part of the SW story. If you accept that the prequels weren't terrible and rightfully belong to the SW story then it makes sense to have a running thread connecting both trilogies.

But consider what these things meant to the movie and to the previous films at the time of it's release when there were no prequels.

Seeing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker was powerful because this was the first time we'd ever seen Anakin and more importantly it was the first time we saw Darth Vader as a human being made of flesh. Seeing him as a frail old man was such a stark contrast to the robotic inhuman depiction of Darth Vader and it really showed who he was inside, not just behind the mask.

Vader's exclamation is a significant thematic change. His cry of anguish is an emotional release of all the feelings he has bottled up bringing us back to the moment we he first became Vader. Again, originally we did not have that. Vader rising up to overthrow the Emperor, literally and figuratively, in stoic silence was a complete surrender of himself for his son and it was shocking to the audience because we could not have seen anything like that coming from him.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Seeing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker was powerful because this was the first time we'd ever seen Anakin and more importantly it was the first time we saw Darth Vader as a human being made of flesh. Seeing him as a frail old man was such a stark contrast to the robotic inhuman depiction of Darth Vader and it really showed who he was inside, not just behind the mask.

I haven't seen the blu-rays, but don't you still see Sebastian Shaw when Luke removes the mask? Personally, I like the change to Hadyn as the Anakin Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. It's symbolic in that it's Anakin before Darth Vader so it's fitting that we'd see the Jedi he was and is again.

Plus I hold to the totally for no valid or canon reason whatsoever that Force ghosts can appear in whatever form they choose. This is why I always picture Obi-Wan as Ewan. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Plus I hold to the totally for no valid or canon reason whatsoever that Force ghosts can appear in whatever form they choose. This is why I always picture Obi-Wan as Ewan. Wink

Well, it might soon be canon, if Ewan McGregor appears as Obi-Wan's ghost in Episode VII.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

I haven't seen the blu-rays, but don't you still see Sebastian Shaw when Luke removes the mask? Personally, I like the change to Hadyn as the Anakin Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. It's symbolic in that it's Anakin before Darth Vader so it's fitting that we'd see the Jedi he was and is again.

Yeah, Haden is just the ghost , not under the mask.

That makes sense but it just doesn't quite work out for me. Since Obiwan and Yoda are depicted at the time of their deaths and Anakin is not, it's a bit mismatched. I'm not really sure what can be done about that. Having Obiwan as Ewan might have made the point better, but it would be confusing for his characterization. I think that the original made the point well enough.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

When it comes to Lucas's changes, I like the Special Edition, which I have on VHS. After that, I'm not a fan of his changes, and I refuse to ever watch the version with Vader screaming as he throws the emperor down the tube Evil or Very Mad I also think adding whiny Anakin's ghost to VI was stupid.

Still, I thought the special edition had cool stuff. Bespin looks a lot nicer in EpV, Mos Eisley looks cooler and I personally liked the added Jabba scene. Then again, this is the version I first saw, so its the SW I've grown up with. Still, I wouldn't want to go back to the original versions at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That makes sense but it just doesn't quite work out for me. Since Obiwan and Yoda are depicted at the time of their deaths and Anakin is not, it's a bit mismatched. I'm not really sure what can be done about that. Having Obiwan as Ewan might have made the point better, but it would be confusing for his characterization. I think that the original made the point well enough.

The difference is that Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't turn to the dark side. For Anakin, in a sense redemption is reversion - to the person he was before turning, or more properly to the relationship that person had with the Force. The Hayden ghost represents this. There is no need to make this point in the case of the others because it doesn't apply to them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Makes sense thematically, but is a can of worms epistemologically.

Once a person turns to the Dark Side the person that was part of the Light Side remains, not just as a mental imprint, but actually as part of the Force? If so, then what happens to the Dark part, why does it not remain? And which part was it that saved Luke? If it was the pre Dark Anakin, then in a sense doesn't that invalidate the redemption of Darth Vader? If there was always a pure Light Side and good Anakin, then he did not need to be redeemed and should have remained no matter what Vader did or didn't do. If Vader was not redeemed but remained as a part of Evil and died with the Emperor then it doesn't have the same effect.

Now on the other hand as C. said, maybe Force Ghosts can take any form they want and he choose to take the form that had meaning to his relationship with Obiwan and Yoda. I kind of like that idea as it ties the three of them together and in that way the final scene was not about Anakin vs. Vader, but about the three Jedi that were intricate to each others lives and about the three Jedi that guided Luke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 3 of 3