The Unofficial EUCantina Timeline of Works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now to explain the mess that is the CLONE WARS SEQUENCE:

All Novels, Juvenile Novels, or Short Stories were placed in sequence according to the ERC to serve as a framework for this era. Leland's Clone Wars blog about specific episodes was used to place the first few, and more will be added as the blog is updated.

Explanation of sequence for the remainder of works follows.

You will note on the timeline that there are only very few dates sketched in thus far. That is because they are a mess. The throwaway line in Wild Space about occurring 7 weeks after Geonosis forces the compression of Anakin's apprenticeship into a time where all the stories told cannot possibly have occurred. I am taking that reference to have been mis-spoken by the character's internal monologue, and instead to mean 7 MONTHS.

This allows enough time to include all stories from Anakin's apprenticeship, while still leaving plenty of time for all seasons of the Clone Wars to have played out.

Menace Revealed: Machines of War and Most Previous Weapon - occur concurrently to Geonosis

Clone Wars (1st series) episodes 6-7 - the auditioning of Ventress must happen early in the clone wars (or before); but given her first assignment is to kill Anakin, it only makes sense if it occurs shortly after Geonosis

Clone Wars Omnibus: Sacrifice - stated to be only days after Geonosis, and not tied to Anakin/Obi-wan; instead the beginning of Vos's Odyssey. Therefore I kept it early enough that its within days, but still relatively close to the rest of his adventures.

Clone Wars (1st series) episodes 1-4, 8-11, 17-19, 20-21 - the battle of hypori can occur here as there is no early explaination of what Obiwan/anakin were up to in the days after Geonosis. This also ties in nicely to Ventresses first mission.

Clone Wars Adventures Vol 8 (x4) - Obiwan is on Kamino when genetic material is stolen; to minimize the number of attacks on Kamino, this must occur early in the war along with the first battle of kamino, or shortly before. hence being tied to the beginning of Omnibus Vol 1. However, Old Scores states that Aura Sing's battle occurs 3 months into the war (placing it near the Cestus Deception); the rest is taken as 3 weeks in.

Clone Wars Adventures Vol 1 (x3) - Kit Fisto is shown on Mon Calamari; implying occurrence of that battle after the attack on Kamino by Mon Calamari(ans?). This also links into Clone Wars Episode 5 (original series).

The remainder of the Clone Wars Omnibus 1 is taken to follow, as events in Schism are evidently long enough after Geonosis for Yoda/Mace to have noticed that jedi aren't returning when called, but close enough that many still have doubts about the war. This then leads into the rest of the omnibus.

General Tann's Campain can theoretically occur any time, but I placed it here for simplicity.

Clone Wars Episodes 12-16 are placed here purely to get them out of the way and because none of the characters involved are otherwise portrayed in any media at this point in the timeline

Another Fine Mess, and The Brink are placed here, concurrently with the above simply because there is no other place for them to fit them where Obiwan and Anakin are not otherwise engaged.

Clone Wars Adventures Volume 3 and 7 are placed here (along with Old Scores) around the Cestus Deception because none of the stories in 3 reference Obiwan or Anakin (allowing them to be concurrent to Legacy of the Jedi), and one story in 7 (Creature Comforts) show Obiwan and Anakin together, though the dialogue suggests a brief absence from the other's company.

Echuu's Campaign follows simply to follow Tann's campaign described earlier.

Clone Wars Adventures Volume 10 follow in order to tell another Obi-wan/anakin story on the way to secrets of the jedi, and allow the other stories within to occur concurrently with that work.

Clone Wars Adventures Volumes 2 and 6 follow Secrets of the Jedi, because Tinn is shown in 6 stealing a prottype starfighter that looks suspiciously like Grevious's that will appear in Clone Wars, and Hide in Plain Sight is specified to be 5 months ABG, making this a logical placement, pushing it relatively close to The Clone Wars movie.

Omnibus vol. 2 and 3 follow starting with the battle of Jabiim. While it says the battle has been raging for around 5 months, there is no actual suggestion that Obiwan/Anakin have been there the whole time. This suggests that this story starts around 5.5-6 months into the clone wars. All following comics from these omnibuses must therefore occur between 5.5 and 7 months ABG in order to finish them before The Clone Wars starts (and Jedi Trial occurs). They actually wind up stradelling Jedi Trial and Anakin's Knighthood (mistake in last ersion corrected). Obsession brings up a few continuity issues that will be discussed below.

Clone Wars Adventures Volume 9 occurs here because it is after Vos's redemption, but is presumably before TCW.

The New Droid Army follows here because while Anakin and Obiwan are shown to work together, there is no specification (to my knowledge) of their relationship. This allows it to occur after Anakin's knighting, but before TCW.

Decide Your Destiny follows here , concurrent to the initial TCW episodes and move because specific mention is made of Ahsoka being sent off to be a new apprentice, and later to the battle of Teth.

The Clone Wars Digests and Trade Paperbacks were inserted based on publication date into the series where they would be likely approximately match up with breaks in episodes which did not feature Obiwan/Anakin/Ahsoka. These dates may be adjusted as further explaination of episode timeline is provided by Leland.

Novelizations of Clone Wars episodes are placed in where they are expected to be placed by Leland, and will be moved as appropriate.

Times will be inserted for more stories as I read/watch through them to determine how many days are required for each to occur to allow maximum possible compression and overlap so that the timeline remains possible and realistic.

A note on obsession:

Phase III armor is depicted in several issues of the later Omnibus comics. However, these must occur before TCW, as there is no time period during the show where the players are in the configuration of alliances shown in the comic to allow these events to occur.

Two ret-cons solve this problem. First, that the armor shown in these comics are early prototypes being tested out for future rollout that are delayed for some reason (cost, manufacturing defects, plant invasion by separatists). Second, that Ventress finds some reason to return to Dooku, as yet unknown, which also results in her killing Alpha, explaining his replacement with Rex during the TCW episodes.

Any suggestions or questions on any part of the updated timeline are most welcome.

Some minor mistakes I have found during this afternoon have been corrected.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Cool. I hear ya. I used to have a similar spreadsheet (it was a Powerpoint presentation first, till it got so big I couldn't keep it stable). It was based around collecting, and so had one entry per story (title, series, author, month/year released, year in-universe), with columns for where to buy it (e.g. Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising #2: Initiates of the Sith was collected as an issue, in its own TPB, in the "TOTJ: Knights of the Old Republic PLUS" TPB, in a 20th Anniversary Hardcover, and in Omnibus: TOTJ Vol 2.)

Aha! That's where your encyclopedic knowledge comes from. Smile

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm planning on starting my own thread with this soon, but for now I'll post it here, for comments along with Henning's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq-AJq4h9GX7dGd5ZWxQUGpLdXpwY2tTV3RDeVN5b0E

This is a first updated draft of my new spreadsheet on collection. It covers:
-Novels
-Comics
-Short Stories
-Video games
-Audio dramas
-Other noteworthy bits

It does not include:
-Audiobooks
-Toys
-Articles that do not contain prose fiction (e.g. Hyperspace articles)
-Digital comics (unless that comic online for free, like TOR 1-6)
-Etc.

The one on the link posted is just for the Before The Republic Era (before 25,000 BBY) and the Old Republic Era (25,000 to 1,000 BBY). Separate sheets will cover the other eras. These eras are not large, and I like them the best.

One thing you'll see is that all media listed include a list of the formats they appear in. Comics show the issue, the TPB, omnibuses, etc. This is for the purposes of keeping track of collections. My old Excel version is colored to show what I own and what is not yet out.

So, first impressions?

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice.

I applaud you and Henning for your enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hi all,

Its been a LONG time since I updated this hasn't it?

Well there's been good reason for the delay. With the recent releases of the Essential Readers Companion, and Clone Wars Episode Guide, I've been re juggling things to fit better, and have actually gone through and completely organized the Clone Wars into a coherent timeline, broken down by day. Yes. by DAY.

I have also started a similar project for the Classic Era, but that's still a WIP.

The Entire Timeline (now over 1500 entries, and mostly complete other than a handful of RPG adventures and possibly a couple short stories) can be downloaded from Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsfj0hq64miprms/The%20Timeline%20Of%20Everything%20%28Star%20Wars%29.xls

In the next day or so I'll be posting the massive explanation of why everything in the Clone Wars was placed as it was (I may actually do a separate thread for that).

If anyone has any questions, comments, omissions or suggestions, I'm more than happy to talk about them.

Hope people find this new version helpful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^Over 1500 rows of titles! Man I feel like a SW noob sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Hi all,

Its been a LONG time since I updated this hasn't it?

Well there's been good reason for the delay. With the recent releases of the Essential Readers Companion, and Clone Wars Episode Guide, I've been re juggling things to fit better, and have actually gone through and completely organized the Clone Wars into a coherent timeline, broken down by day. Yes. by DAY.

I have also started a similar project for the Classic Era, but that's still a WIP.

The Entire Timeline (now over 1500 entries, and mostly complete other than a handful of RPG adventures and possibly a couple short stories) can be downloaded from Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsfj0hq64miprms/The%20Timeline%20Of%20Everything%20%28Star%20Wars%29.xls

In the next day or so I'll be posting the massive explanation of why everything in the Clone Wars was placed as it was (I may actually do a separate thread for that).

If anyone has any questions, comments, omissions or suggestions, I'm more than happy to talk about them.

Hope people find this new version helpful.

Take this with a grain of salt, but a poster on the TF.N forums apparently has an ARC of a forthcoming DK Reader's book called Jedi Battles; it supposedly contains a new timeline of SW works up to Endor, so the Clone Wars era could be straightened out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Take this with a grain of salt, but a poster on the TF.N forums apparently has an ARC of a forthcoming DK Reader's book called Jedi Battles; it supposedly contains a new timeline of SW works up to Endor, so the Clone Wars era could be straightened out.

Hadn't seen that.

I would be VERY surprised by that. I don't think that there's ever been a timeline in a DK reader before (though admittedly I don't collect them)

That said, I wouldn't complain.

EDIT: On looking up said book it does appear that it is a more complex book than the old DK readers and the first in a new style they're putting out. So perhaps it does. I will take a look at it when it comes out in January. Though I may wiind up sticking with my interpretation. Though Obsession is still causing me no end of troubles placing.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jedi-Battles-Read/dp/1409346803

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3