Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 186, 187, 188  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Doubt they'll cancel it entirely, Caedus, though I wish they would. But I agree enough is enough. If they're so determined to do a 5th film, then it should be the last, period Would have been better if they ended it with AWE as originally intended instead of falling prey to monetary greed.

Actually as much of a cash grab as it would have seemed I would prefer to have seen AWE split in half, they tried to jam way too much into the film and it felt like decent, archetypal, epic concepts that wound up bloated together in one film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They're probably moving PotC 5 to 2016 because 2015 is too convoluted. Disney already has Star Wars 7 and The Avengers 2 in 2015. And they would be competing against Man of Steel 2.

As far as the movies themselves... I liked the first two a lot, but the third was bloated as Caedus said. The fourth was better than the third, but not worthy of the first two. Another problem I have with the later films is that they pushed the supernatural aspect too much. The first movie seemed like an actual period film (although an exaggerated period film) for a while. If you didn't know anything about the plot, the curse was actually a shock when it was revealed. Then it just kept getting crazier and crazier with each passing movie, along with the action, stunts etc. I'd go for a PotC movie with no supernatural elements, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Spent the last week watching all four Middle Earth films. Quite amazing how neatly they tie together. One instance in particular that I had completely forgotten was the Fellowship discovering Balin's tomb in Moria in FOTR. When I was watching the AUJ scene where Balin is relating the story of the death of King Thror after the sack of Erebor, I remembered that detail, and it was very eerie watching the rest of the scene.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
They're probably moving PotC 5 to 2016 because 2015 is too convoluted. Disney already has Star Wars 7 and The Avengers 2 in 2015. And they would be competing against Man of Steel 2.

As far as the movies themselves... I liked the first two a lot, but the third was bloated as Caedus said. The fourth was better than the third, but not worthy of the first two. Another problem I have with the later films is that they pushed the supernatural aspect too much. The first movie seemed like an actual period film (although an exaggerated period film) for a while. If you didn't know anything about the plot, the curse was actually a shock when it was revealed. Then it just kept getting crazier and crazier with each passing movie, along with the action, stunts etc. I'd go for a PotC movie with no supernatural elements, but I don't think that will ever happen.

I agree 100%. I was willing to go along with the supernatural elements of PotC and PotC2, but by PotC3, I felt that it got ridiculous. The whole Calypso plotline made no sense whatsoever.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So...are we going to discuss the new Harry Potter universe films coming out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

We absolutely are!!!! I'm so incredibly excited. I think it will be a great way to revisit the universe without retreading the same ground.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
We absolutely are!!!! I'm so incredibly excited. I think it will be a great way to revisit the universe without retreading the same ground.

There we go! At 70 years before the events of the first film I'm guessing we'll finally be able to break away from the 'everything connected to Harry' stuff and get a full story. Kind of psyched for that (even though its kind of a cash grab).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Got Star Trek Into Darkness on DVD. Still love it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

There we go! At 70 years before the events of the first film I'm guessing we'll finally be able to break away from the 'everything connected to Harry' stuff and get a full story. Kind of psyched for that (even though its kind of a cash grab).

Wrong, it will be all about Freddie Potter, Harry's great grandpa.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Films? I thought there was only going to be one.

I'm tentatively excited about this. The HP books were pretty decently written, so I think Rowling could do a compelling story, but I do worry - too many unknowns for the moment.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:

Word. I remember spending that whole time in the movie theatre grinning ear to ear.

I'm just irritated that there was no audio commentary.

This past weekend I re-watched Jurassic Park with my wife and a friend, with a podcast commentary from a science podcast that the missus and I like. The podcast, called "Science...Sort Of", discussed "things that are science, things that are sort of science, and things that wish they were science." The hosts are grad students or post-grads and range across different fields (2 paleontologists, 1 physicist, 1 planetary scientist, 1 engineer, and 1 parasitologist). So there was a lot of fun talk about the science of cloning, the dinosaurs, the engineering of the park, etc.

Also, the hosts are just fun people to listen to. They're funny and engaging.

It was such a fun podcast. Also, the first Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies, and it holds up. The 20-year-old CGI (with extensive use of maquettes and costumes and puppets, as needed) holds up. Frankly, it looks much better than the Star Wars blu-ray.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Word. I remember spending that whole time in the movie theatre grinning ear to ear.

The audio commentary is available in the iTunes extras, which you can get as a Digital Copy with the BluRay.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Wrong, it will be all about Freddie Potter, Harry's great grandpa.

Lol I'd watch that because it'd be awful.

I think its actually about Newt Scamander though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

The audio commentary is available in the iTunes extras, which you can get as a Digital Copy with the BluRay.

Ooh! I didn't notice that! I need to re-download the digital copy and iTunes extras anyway (my laptop is old; it didn't quite work).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Ooh! I didn't notice that! I need to re-download the digital copy and iTunes extras anyway (my laptop is old; it didn't quite work).

Just a warning, it is the type of commentary that pauses the film to show you other stuff.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 159 of 188