What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Last night I stayed up till 3 AM reading Razor's Edge. I can't remember the last time I did that with a Star Wars book. I hope we can, somehow, get Martha Wells to come back to the EU.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was under the impression that that wasn't out until next week...

Darn lucky teddy bear.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The release date is 24 September, but Star Wars books aren't subject to sales embargoes. Back when I bought Star Wars books brand new, I usually picked them up almost a week before.

The Chapters by my work has 22 copies on the shelf already.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Almost done with Kenobie, absolutely love it!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
I was under the impression that that wasn't out until next week...

Darn lucky teddy bear.

I'm assuming Dance is reading an ARC - Advance Reading Copy. Sites get those from publisher for review purposes. They aren't the final proofed copy. I've also read the ARC for my review next Tuesday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote  

Speaking of ARCs, I'm reading an advanced copy of The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler. I've never read any of the making of books before, so this is a new experience. So far it's really cool. It talks about where different elements of the movie came from, how they were created, etc. It includes different drafts of the script, transcripts of writer's meetings where George, Kasdan and Marquand talk about changes. Plus there's tons of stuff on Ewoks Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Re-reading Shatterpoint right now. I last read it years ago, but it is as great as I remember. Stover really does well with character-driven works.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
The release date is 24 September, but Star Wars books aren't subject to sales embargoes. Back when I bought Star Wars books brand new, I usually picked them up almost a week before.

My chapters used to have things out a week early too.

But since Ep III came out, I'm lucky if they have anything on shelves a week to two weeks later. And that goes for all of them in the entire city.

Its faster to order it with free shipping from chapters.ca the day it comes out than wait for it to come out on shelves. Sigh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth_Henning wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

But since Ep III came out, I'm lucky if they have anything on shelves a week to two weeks later. And that goes for all of them in the entire city.

Its faster to order it with free shipping from chapters.ca the day it comes out than wait for it to come out on shelves. Sigh.

Word to the wise: if you need to order from Chapters, you may as well just save money and order from Amazon. You don't save much on paperbacks, but great savings on hardcovers. And really, if your brick-and-mortar store is genuinely not meeting your needs, then you may as well go with Amazon.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Word to the wise: if you need to order from Chapters, you may as well just save money and order from Amazon. You don't save much on paperbacks, but great savings on hardcovers. And really, if your brick-and-mortar store is genuinely not meeting your needs, then you may as well go with Amazon.

I find paperbacks are usually cheaper online from chapters (with the membership), and I get most trades and omnibusses about 40% off on average. Which usually beats everything i can find on amazon shortly after release.

Hardcovers I refuse to buy (and keep) new. I don't like the format, and I'll only buy it to read when it comes out and return it (and before anyone complains, the spine is never cracked on them - you couldn't tell the difference from right out of the shipping box).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas *cough* Alan Dean Foster.

It's interesting how Emperor Palpatine is described as an isolated shut-in, with his underlings pursuing their own agendas outside of his knowledge or control. This is a far cry from the calculating and in-control Palpatine in the movies.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's a reason I don't read Alan Dean Foster Star Wars novels. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I currently decided to dip back into some of my older books. Finished I Jedi and am now reading the Hand of Thrawn books. Might try to X-wing novels next.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
There's a reason I don't read Alan Dean Foster Star Wars novels. Wink

I was disappointed when I found out Lucas didn't write this book. Here I thought I would be getting Lucas's vision for Star Wars at its purest. Guess not. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's worth the read for the hilarity factor alone. Owen Lars is Obi-Wan's brother and there are ducks on Tatooine. ADF was a little confused about things. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 140 of 145