Fandom Apocalypse?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Looks like 2014 may be slim pickings as far as novels go. Maul:Lockdown in January, Honor Among Thieves in March(I think), plus the Luke novel. With Sword of the Jedi and the Kemp duology apparently in limbo, will three books be all we get next year - unless work starts on Episode VII tie in material?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You know, one of the reasons I liked the EU was because it fleshed out the universe to the point where RPG settings were possible. I enjoy SW games very much. The movies were too limited to do that. But with TCW, and now Rebels, the ST and the spinoffs, the Lucas/Disneyverse has finally been fleshed out the the point where the EU isn't needed for that purpose anymore. And it will only get richer.

So that made my desicion to quit the EU and rely only on the Lucasverse much easier. I'm actually having some fun recently unlearning EU facts and rediscovering the spirit of the true GFFA, arriving at conclusions like there being no other Purge survivors, darksiders indeed having their destiny dominated forever, there being no Force sects outside the Nightsisters, Jedi and Sith, the Sith only ever having been two at a time, droids having no rigid classifications and programming priorities, there being a relatively small rooster of possible Force Powers etc. etc. etc.

Apocalypse? Maybe. But also rebirth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some days I actually get excited about new Star Wars movies and stuff... but today I just want the Disney-verse to die in a fiery hole. Evil or Very Mad

EU killers...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Due to anything in particular that's been announced, or just a general downswing in mood?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Downswing in mood. When I posted the current match in the Best Thing thread (Mara vs. Lightsabers), it brought back memories of all our beloved characters from the EU. I started getting really nostalgic and inevitably got pretty ticked at Disney, Lucas etc. for killing the EU.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote  

Well it technically isn't dead yet. Bit of a holding pattern, but certainly no declaration of death. I may be an optimist, but there is the possibility we could see some EU in the new sequel trilogy regardless of how many public outlets are against that.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You don't need to be an optimist to think so. Throwaway movie references seem more than likely.

I think Reep was talking about the truth value of the EU getting killed. And references won't help against that, if other content blatantly proves there was no truth value to it in the first place -save that which the moves dictate, which is no different from brand new content.

With the likely consequence that no more material will be made for the EU that we know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It is very true that nothing has officially been said about whether the EU will be erased by the new movies, but I'm 95% sure it will be. MRN is right though; the thing that really got me, before the Sequel Trilogy was even announced, was Lucas relegating the EU to "fanfiction". I've written on this site many, many times why this is so wrong, so I won't do so again.

I was actually getting excited about the new movies recently, but now I'm in the mood to boycott again...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well at least they have given us time to prepere for the Inevitable.

While I'm sure there'll be a lot of bitching about how Disney raped their childhood and such, no one will actually be able to say that he/she didn't see it coming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Calling the EU fanfic is quite the insult, even if you don't like it at all and don't consider it canon. The authors who wrote the books are just that, professional writers that were commissioned by a publishing company to create material for sale and dozens of them were on the NY Times bestseller list.

PS. I know that no one here is saying that, it just makes me mad that people do say it.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Yup.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Calling the EU fanfic is quite the insult, even if you don't like it at all and don't consider it canon. The authors who wrote the books are just that, professional writers that were commissioned by a publishing company to create material for sale and dozens of them were on the NY Times bestseller list.

PS. I know that no one here is saying that, it just makes me mad that people do say it.

Got in an argument with a Star Trek fan once. They claimed their EU was professionally written, entertaining, and should be canon while Star Wars EU was nothing but trashy fanfic. People make me mad...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Fanfic or not is a matter of perspective. In the context of truth value it isn't an unfair comparison to make. But quality and officialness are obviously grossly in favour of tie-ins.

So if I see tie-ins compared to fanfics in the context of canonicity, I can't very well blame the one saying so, even if they are wrong in other contexts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 6 of 6