Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pixar film #15, "The Good Dinosaur" bumped back 18 months, from May 2014 to November 2015, and switched to #16. "Inside Out" will now be #15 for Pixar. "Finding Dory" pushed back to June 2016. Means "Big Hero 6" looks like the only animated film on Disney's roster for next year and "Inside" and "Dino" the only animated features for 2015, unless WDAS decides to bring forward one of their films to follow "BH6."

Not sure what this means for the Monsters U short that was set to be released with "Dino." Will they still hold to that or release it sooner and in a different way?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, this is good news. Pixar recently released director Bob Peterson from The Good Dinosaur (which really saddened me actually) and it's ridiculous to expect Pixar to have this done for May. I was actually really worried about this movie and the released date change makes me feel better. I'm glad Pixar is taking the time to get this right rather than rushing to get it out... even if it means the first year since 2005 to not have a Pixar movie. Sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Honestly, this is good news. Pixar recently released director Bob Peterson from The Good Dinosaur (which really saddened me actually) and it's ridiculous to expect Pixar to have this done for May. I was actually really worried about this movie and the released date change makes me feel better. I'm glad Pixar is taking the time to get this right rather than rushing to get it out... even if it means the first year since 2005 to not have a Pixar movie. Sad

Something the company has always been best at is making sure that their stories are done well (well except with Cars 1 & 2) and them pushing films back, to me, always hints that they are unsatisfied with the project as is and would rather do it right. You're correct, its worth it to go a year without a Pixar film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never really understood the flack Cars got (the first one, I mean - the sequel left a lot to be desired). The only complaint I have with it is that it dragged a bit; otherwise I thought it was good. *shrugs*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly it just wasn't my thing. It was the first Pixar film that I felt didn't have pretty much universal appeal (well I also hated Wall-E but that's a whole different conversation) and I definitely wasn't the target audience with that one. I found it mildly entertaining but nothing I'd have watched twice and certainly nothing I thought needed a sequel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
I've never really understood the flack Cars got (the first one, I mean - the sequel left a lot to be desired). The only complaint I have with it is that it dragged a bit; otherwise I thought it was good. *shrugs*

It was a good kids movie. Just not up to Pixar standards.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I loved the first Cars but it wasn't as gripping as some of Pixar's other films. I just think of my four-year old cousin who loves Lightning McQueen, though. It's very marketable towards kids, and while the story isn't great, it's still good. Like Padme said, it's a kids film at its core.

I haven't seen Cars 2, however...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, when my cousin was about that age, he loved Lightning McQueen too. Now, he loves Star Wars!

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote  

So, after many years of not watching the movies, I'm doing an Indiana Jones rewatch this week. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on Monday and it's still one of the best movies I've ever seen. Just pure fun. The special effects still hold up pretty well, and the Well of Souls full of snakes still creeps me out.

Yesterday I watched Temple of Doom. My memory was that this was a good movie, not my favorite of the series, but still a good one. When rewatching it, I realized that the beginning of the film is actually pretty rough. The dance sequence breaks reality, the raft out of the plane and then over the cliff was a bit too much, and then just the general annoyance of Willie in the beginning...it all added up and really had me turned off. But once they got to India and started riding elephants, I was back in, and from there on out, the movie was really good. Though I did question the mine car chase...that was pretty over the top. They probably should have pulled back a little on that one.

Tonight I'll be watching The Last Crusade. As a kid, this was my favorite, so we'll see if that holds true.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^Do you plan to watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I got Star Trek Into Darkness as a birthday present and have watched it twice this week.

It's as good as I remember from seeing it in theaters in May, but one thing still bugs me: the darker, more formal looking uniforms seen a few times at the beginning and at the end. They're wearing the regulation gold, red, or blue shirts depending on their specialties the rest of the time, so why these darker uniforms, especially since they didn't even appear in the first film? Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I got Star Trek Into Darkness as a birthday present and have watched it twice this week.

It's as good as I remember from seeing it in theaters in May, but one thing still bugs me: the darker, more formal looking uniforms seen a few times at the beginning and at the end. They're wearing the regulation gold, red, or blue shirts depending on their specialties the rest of the time, so why these darker uniforms, especially since they didn't even appear in the first film? Makes no sense.

I think that's what the top brass at Starfleet Academy was wearing in the first movie - to me it seems to be like something they wear on base, whereas the regulation gold, red, or blue shirts are worn on starships.

I think this Starfleet is more militaristic than the original Starfleet (and with good reason), so they follow military dress standards more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote  

Well Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is still my favorite. It taps into all the cool elements that appeared in Raiders and adds a top notch production quality to the film.

Won't be re-watching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's not that I don't like the movie, but it's not like it's been years since I've seen it.

I did watch Prometheus for the first time the other day. It was good, but also strange. I still can't get over the girl giving birth to a baby octopus. And she didn't even give it a name! Laughing

"I shall call you...Squidward."

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

I did watch Prometheus for the first time the other day. It was good, but also strange. I still can't get over to the girl giving birth to a baby octopus. And she didn't even give it a name! Laughing

"I shall call you...Squidward."

I haven't seen this yet, but I've heard Prometheus is soooo much better if you look at it from this perspective: the Earth took all of humanity's worst scientists and sent them off into space, and that spaceship filled with terrible scientists stumble upon (whatever it is that they find in the movie).

The movie makes much more sense when you assume that these people are just terrible at their jobs.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't judge it till you've seen it. Its the first science fiction movie in a long time that made the audience think and it wasn't well received. Instead of attempting to glean their own answers and think about it most were just pissed that not everything was given to them in a silver platter in the manner in which they are now accustomed.

There were bad decisions made by some of the characters, but I understand some of them. Not everyone in every movie is going to make the right decision and it irks me when people that call a movie bad because the characters aren't geniuses in every field. Not every scientist will have their lives together, not every group will interact perfectly and such, and on and on. About the only thing that truly bothered me was the guy with the map getting lost. Other than that I found them realistic and human characters. Daddy issues, insecurity, so many things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 160 of 186