What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Taral: It was still better than the film version...

Actually, AOTC was my favourite of the prequels, and third favourite overall. Your mileage may vary.

I'm happy; I just bought a bunch of Dune hardcovers off Amazon. One was in their bargain books section (60% off). The other two were still cheap, at 37% off their cover prices.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Actually, AOTC was my favourite of the prequels, and third favourite overall. Your mileage may vary.

I'm happy; I just bought a bunch of Dune hardcovers off Amazon. One was in their bargain books section (60% off). The other two were still cheap, at 37% off their cover prices.

Eh, to each their own on the prequels lol.

And Dune Hardcovers! Which ones, don't leave me in suspense!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
@Life: Do yourself a favour and DO NOT READ THE NOVELIZATION OF ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

I read that book as part of an ill-begotten plan to read all Clone Wars materials. One of my big problems was that Anakin's introspection about Padmé sounds way too much like Bella.

Note: I have not read Twilight, but my wife has and she shared with me criticisms about how there will be several page introspections about how hot Edward is.

I actually just read AOTC - half the time, Padme seems concerned that Anakin is going to rape her - definitely not the romantic story I was expecting.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Eh, to each their own on the prequels lol.

And Dune Hardcovers! Which ones, don't leave me in suspense!

The Bargain Books discounted one was Sisterhood of Dune (I think they're trying to get rid of the hardcovers in their stock and have it just be paperbacks). Then I also got Paul of Dune (which I recently read on audiobook and loved) and Winds of Dune.

I have four of the six original books in hardcover, and will likely replace my paperback copies of the other two soon (I'm missing Heretics of Dune and God Emperor of Dune).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
LIFE: do they still make cliff notes?

I do believe so. There's a few online, such as this one. If you're suggesting reading that instead of the book, that's a good idea, but personally I'd just feel compelled to read the book afterwards, so it wouldn't really save me pain.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
@Life: Do yourself a favour and DO NOT READ THE NOVELIZATION OF ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

I read that book as part of an ill-begotten plan to read all Clone Wars materials. One of my big problems was that Anakin's introspection about Padmé sounds way too much like Bella.

Note: I have not read Twilight, but my wife has and she shared with me criticisms about how there will be several page introspections about how hot Edward is.

To be fair, Anakin's hotness is really the only thing to recommend him Laughing . But thanks for the head's up.

Cerrinea wrote:
Look at it this way, Life, at least now you'll get all those "still a better love story than Twilight" memes.

That's a big plus Very Happy

Caedus_16 wrote:

@Life: If you must slog your way through the rest read it as a manipulation of the mindset of the person reading it. When I tried I noticed a few things that made me immensely disturbed. The first was that the main character has little to no description, yet her love interest is described down to the last detail and it allows the sad, lonely reader to slide right into the main character's slot. Only in the second book (so I've been told) does she finally take more than an ethereal form. Secondly, take a look at the relationship. Its abusive, its violent, its got a bit of a masochistic vibe to it. Depression and loneliness (psychologically speaking) can cause a latching tendency wherein the subject in question would rather suffer with someone to hang onto in their broken life than to be separated from them and that is exactly the plot of the 'novel'. Using these two things to look at it as a curiosity I was able to make over 100 pages before I chucked it away in disgust.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. And you're right about the image thing. I'll say more later, must dash.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, just to return to the Twilight thing for a moment, I've been asking my friends who've read Twilight - after several hours of interrogation, wherein they denied even knowing about such books - and they've said that the character description of Bella is very vague throughout the entirety of the books. From the books, all you get is 'very pale skin, brown hair'. So she basically looks like this:

It seems that you have to go to Meyer's own website to get a full description:

Yeah ...

In other news, I've started reading God Is Disappointed In You by Mark Russell, Illustrations by Shannon Wheeler. It's essentially the bible, slimmed down and written in modern day language, and it's quite humorous, and keeps the summaries accurate to the original stories. Though I got the kindle ebook; it has a few misspellings and some bad editing. One would hope that the book version is much better; it's much better presented with faux leather, guilded pages.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Silence of the Lambs. It's odd, but after reading the two books, my opinion on who's the better killer (not including Lecter) has changed - almost reversed. Now I think Red Dragon is the superior character.

Now reading Sense and Sensibility. Bit of a jarring change.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished re-reading Dune. Just started Dune Messiah.

After this, I've not read any other Dune books, so it'll all be new!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm currently deep inDoctor Sleep by Stephen King. Its...its good. I don't think it can live up to the novel preceding it, but its good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote  

I didn't like Dune Messiah as much as Dune. I sort of had a disconnect with the main character in the second book.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I didn't like Dune Messiah as much as Dune. I sort of had a disconnect with the main character in the second book.

I hear ya. Ultimately, I think Dune Messiah just isn't about Paul-Muad'Dib anymore. It's about all these other characters who were secondary at best (Irulan, Mohiam), if not entirely absent (the Tleilaxu, the Navigators), from Dune.

When taken like that, then the story becomes more manageable. Especially since Children of Dune is about the kids (I read about half of it many many years ago).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Only have one part of The Last Lion: Visions of Glory left to read. After that it'll be on to The Last Lion: Alone. I'd like to be able to get Alone finished by Saturday because I'm spending the night at my grandparents' house from Wednesday at least through Saturday. I borrowed Alone from my grandfather since I don't have my own copy yet, and if I can get it done by Saturday then I won't have to take it home again.

Saturday is probably optimistic, considering I still have about 250 pages of VOG left to read and Alone is nearly 700 pages, but considering I won't have any chores or anything to do after Wednesday morning ... who knows?

Also working my way through Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25. I'd never heard of Richard Paul Evans until last week, but I must say his Michael Vey series is quite good so far. I should be getting another book in the mail tomorrow - Covered With Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry at Gettysburg. I'm excited to start reading that one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

I'm gonna shoot in the dark and guess that you'll enjoy God Emperor of Dune as I did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote  

Hopefully. I've been buying all the other Dune books in my free time. They're all waiting for me, eyeing me evilly from the bookshevles. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Hopefully. I've been buying all the other Dune books in my free time. They're all waiting for me, eyeing me evilly from the bookshevles. Laughing

The gaze...its hypnotic, yes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 96 of 110