Narnia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

According to a report from NarniaFans.com Douglas Gresham said he is "confident" that more Narnia films will be made. For those who don't know Gresham is C. S. Lewis's stepson, head of the C. S. Lewis estate, and executive producer of the Walden Narnia films.

Obviously, this isn't anything official, but it's still encouraging. I've been feeling really nostalgic recently about anticipating the Narnia films (among other things, I've been a nostalgic sap for the last little while). I've been listening to old NarniaWeb podcasts and revisiting various other NWeb things. And... I really miss it. NWeb hasn't completely died, but it isn't very lively either. I feel like I'm getting in the mood to be a hardcore Narnia fanboy again... which I am anyway, but without current news and stuff, it's difficult to channel that geeky energy. Hopefully, I'll have an outlet in the not-to-distant future.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Getting sentimental in your old age Wink .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha. I guess so.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was on TV today. I was overcome by sadness. The franchise started out so promising.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know... The drop in quality in VDT was so surprising and disappointing. I'm not even saying this from a book fan's perspective (though of course that's a whole other story Rolling Eyes ). Just as a follow-up to the last two movies, without even considering the books, the drop in maturity, acting, script, even effects was jarring. It's like the creative powers behind that movie just didn't care. It makes me wonder what VDT would have been like if Adamson had been directing.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked VDT movie. Better than Caspian, actually. But that's mostly because I think it's a better story. I think Disney was right to cut back on budget for it, that was the only way it was going to be profitable. The idea that sequels are instant money makers is not a rule. Sure they could have done things differently, but by that point that was really all they could do. The phrase strike while the fire is hot is never more true than for the entertainment biz. They had to release a Narnia movie every year for it to pay off. The wait killed it.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You thought VDT had a better story?! Do you mean as an adaptation or just as a film? Or are you talking about the books?

I think most people will agree that LWW worked the best as a standalone film and as an adaptation.

PC was an interesting mixture. Some parts were really, really good. All of the stuff about the Golden Age of Narnia being gone were very beautiful and poignant for me. And Reepicheep was awesome!! Eddie Izzard was the perfect actor to portray Reep and his dialogue, animation etc. was near perfect (and, as you can probably guess, this is pretty important to me). They got a lot of the themes right and in some ways I liked it better than LWW... however, some parts drove me crazy as a fan. Suspian didn't bother me that much honestly. It's so short and insubstantial, you can basically ignore it. Caspian getting in a shouting match/rivalry with Peter was just wrong. For Caspian, High King Peter coming back is like King Arthur coming back for us. In the book, Caspian is in total awe of Peter, and the other three Pevensies. Caspian's education with Dr. Cornelius was cut unfortunately. It's one of my favourite parts of the book and I was very sad to see it go, but I understand that there wasn't really a spot for it and they got the main idea of that scene (the sadness of the Golden Age being over) in other scenes. What I couldn't understand however, was the cutting of the romp at the end (Aslan turning boys into pigs, an abusive father into a tree etc.)! I understand it would be a complete change in tone from the rest of the movie, but that's kind of the point. After centuries of magic being suppressed by the Telmarines, it's back in full force. They needed to cut out most of the Second Battle of Beruna (the last third is too action heavy) and put the romp in its place. So overall, as an adaptation, it was mixed, but certainly more good than bad. What they got right, they really got right. There were lots of moments (probably more than LWW actually) that gave me pure fanboy delight). As a movie, I would place it slightly under LWW.

Then there's VDT. What a trainwreck. As a movie, I just thought it was really juvenile and forgettable, the sort of movie you watch once and forget about an hour later (unless it happens to be an adaptation of one of your favourite books!). As an adaptation it was just cringe-worthy. The good things were Will Poulter's performance as Eustace (he did for Eustace what Izzard did for Reep; wonderful casting) and the design of the Dawn Treader. The bad things are legion. The Green Mist was dumb, a mindless evil with no motivation or even any real threat (the Lone Islanders it "swallowed" were completely unharmed). The story goes from being a selfless quest of honour to recover seven lost lords to a desperate quest to find seven swords. Credit is taken away from Aslan and given to Eustace for the defeat of the Dark Island. The Undragoning (one of the most important scenes in the series) is intercut with a Sea Serpent battle and totally slopped up. Caspian's clever trick and the brilliant dialogue between Caspian and Governor Gumpas was replaced by a generic sword fight. The joke at Ramandu's Island ("If it is a distraction for you...") was inappropriate and totally killed the atmosphere of the scene. Lucy and Edmund both suffer character regressions, especially Edmund. Lucy acted more grown up in PC than VDT and much of Georgie Henley's acting came across as really awkward, clearly meant for someone half her age. Edmund was just butchered. I loved Edmund in PC. At the end of LWW (book), Edmund is described as growing into a grave and quiet man, great in judgment and I thought PC showed this really well. In VDT, Edmund is almost back to where he was in LWW (e.g. sticking his tongue out at Uncle Harold Rolling Eyes ). And then he gets tempted by the White Witch (who has no right to be in this movie)! Edmund is past this nonsense! He shattered the Witch in PC, mirroring the Witch stabbing him in LWW, bookending his arc. Story's done. I'm guessing reason behind both of these regressions was the film-makers wanting to remind the audience of the 740M earning LWW, since that seemed to be the thinking behind much of this movie. *headdesk*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I just meant the story in general. VDT is a classic quest story with different magical lands. CP was more like an King Arthur knights tale. I'm not into that, I liked straight fantasy better. More humans less magic is not what I like in those books.

I guess I compare them too much to LWW because that and Magician's Nephew are the ones I read the most and I've only read CP and VDT once and don't remember them enough to compare to the movies. As I said before when I started a Narnia reread I gave up halfway thru Horse because I hated it and I've never read any of the books that come after Voyage.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Prince Caspian is generally the least favourite of the series, but it's always been one of my favourites (of course, I really do love these books just about equally). As I'm sure you know, I've always liked knights and chivalry and all that stuff and while almost all of the books have some element of that in them, Prince Caspian has the most. As for the lack of magic, I always found that incredibly poignant. Everything about the trees becoming silent and the Dwarves, Dryads etc. hiding in the forest, I 've always loved. It's so wonderfully heart-breaking. Lost innocence is probably my favourite theme in stories. And, of course, when the magic comes back at the end, I'm always grinning ear to ear while reading it. I think another thing that makes people dislike Prince Caspian when compared with the others is the four chapter flashback of Trumpkin telling the kids about Caspian. I'll admit it is awkward structuring and it might have bothered me the first couple times I read it, I can't say it bothers me anymore. Those four chapters are probably my favourite chapters in the entire book.

Why did you hate The Horse and His Boy again?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry for the double post, but... IT'S HAPPENED!

The Silver Chair will be adapted for the big screen by the Mark Gordon Company. The Mark Gordon Company has produced films such as Saving Private Ryan, Speed, The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 B.C., 2012 and the television show Grey's Anatomy.

Mark Gordon wrote:
Like many readers, both young and old, I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis’s beautiful and allegorical world of Narnia. These fantasy stories inspire real-world passion among millions of devoted fans around the world. As we prepare to bring the next book to life, we are humbled and excited to contribute to the outstanding legacy of Narnia.

Vincent Sieber (of the C. S. Lewis Company wrote:
We are very excited by this partnership and to be able to work on this movie from its earliest conception on such a collaborative basis. It gives us the opportunity to develop a script and then produce a film with some of the most talented industry professionals whilst remaining completely faithful to this much loved book.

My head is spinning right now. Hopefully I got my facts straight. Here's the link:
http://www.narniaweb.com/2013/10/production-company-announced-for-the-silver-chair/

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is...significantly frustrating. I like some of the films produced, I despise others and the tv show. So...unsure of how to feel about this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

haha, that's what I thought. One in five ain't bad!

For H&HB I didn't like the characters. I'm sure that it's part of the Horse's character arc, but he's really annoying in the beginning. I also know that the Pevenses sp? are in it, but having new characters to follow made it hard for me to like them.

I read the stories in their stupid chronological order because that's how they are set up in the version I have, it's one book. The changes to the world make sense in Caspian, but when you jump from LWW to HHB, it's like what the heck is this? The story doesn't even take place in Narnia. I just don't care about Calorman, or whatever, and I don't really understand why I am supposed to. I can understand how it makes sense as a book that Lewis wrote later, but it doesn't work for me as a sequel to LWW.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I read the stories in their stupid chronological order because that's how they are set up in the version I have, it's one book. The changes to the world make sense in Caspian, but when you jump from LWW to HHB, it's like what the heck is this? The story doesn't even take place in Narnia. I just don't care about Calorman, or whatever, and I don't really understand why I am supposed to. I can understand how it makes sense as a book that Lewis wrote later, but it doesn't work for me as a sequel to LWW.

While I can't agree that Bree is annoying, I can understand this. It actually took a while for certain books to click for me as well (that was so long ago though, I'm so used to just loving them lol). Each book is very different from the one before it, and while I now think this is one of the series' strengths, I didn't like it in the beginning. Actually the same thing happened with Legend of Korra and the two Batman Begins sequels. The dramatic change from the previous movie, show, book repulsed me at first, but I soon learned to appreciate it and even be glad it is that way (so it isn't a repeat of the previous story). I think this is another problem the movies ran into, especially with PC. PC was not the sequel non-book fans were expecting at all. Hence the weaving in of past and future stories in the VDT movie. (And blast that chronological order! Wink )

@Caedus: I'm not really sure what role the Mark Gordon Company will playing, whether it will be creative, financial, both, or neither, so no comment on its track record. I'll be much more interested to see who will direct. I gotta say though, with this news, Star Wars Episode VII has taken the back seat.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't believe I missed seeing this over the last two days. Really great news! Hopefully SC will be more faithful to Lewis' vision than VDT was.

I can kind of understand why some think MN should be next, but really, SC makes more logical sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

MN as a movie could only be done as a prequel after all the other films were made, or as the start of a Narnia reboot, neither of which really works all that well. It could've worked as an adaptation for the BBC series, because TV can do non chronological serials, but not so much with a movie series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 30 of 31