Star Wars: Rebels
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars: Rebels
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It's still around a year away from hitting our televisions, but yesterday the first teaser for Star Wars: Rebels aired on Disney XD. I'm sure a lot of you have already seen it but if you haven't, here's the link.

http://youtu.be/O1_F7zg4B30

At only 15 seconds long and shows practically nothing except a star destroyer, however my alarm bells are already ringing about this project. The voiceover proclaims "A rebel alliance will form, the Jedi will rise, and you will know the power of the force".

What concerns me here is the "Jedi will rise" part, I was hoping for a show focusing on the non-Jedi aspect of the Rebel Alliance. A New Hope and the rest of the Original Trilogy hinges on the fact that the Jedi have been extinct or at very least inactive/in hiding for two decades. I can get over a TV show not meshing with the EU but I would be seriously disappointed if it detracted from the movies.

Anyhow, I thought we could do with a thread for discussion of the show, our hopes, fears, expectations and excitement.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Nothing but agreement here. They mention the titular muggles once, and the Jedi twice. That bodes ill for Luke as something special, or the EU as legitimate.

On TFN there is widespread fear of Ahsoka being the Alliance's go-to Jedi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
Nothing but agreement here. They mention the titular muggles once, and the Jedi twice. That bodes ill for Luke as something special, or the EU as legitimate.

Actually, because of the EU there are more confirmed survivors of Order 66 than victims.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
DarthMRN wrote:

Actually, because of the EU there are more confirmed survivors of Order 66 than victims.

You're right, it is a bit ridiculous how many Jedi apparently managed to escape the Emperor and Vader's thorough attempts to wipe them out. I've accepted the ones we already have but adding more (and I'd say from the teaser we're not just talking about a lone Jedi) concerns me slightly.

Having said that, I understand that the writer's will not consider the EU as part of their continuity and the large majority of the show's audience will be oblivious to the countless other Jedi hiding out in the galaxy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
DarthMRN wrote:

I was thinking more of those Jedi affiliated with the Rebels. Starkiller's part in its formation stands on shaky grounds unless he is the Jedi that will rise, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
DarthMRN wrote:

You're right, it is a bit ridiculous how many Jedi apparently managed to escape the Emperor and Vader's thorough attempts to wipe them out. I've accepted the ones we already have but adding more (and I'd say from the teaser we're not just talking about a lone Jedi) concerns me slightly.

Having said that, I understand that the writer's will not consider the EU as part of their continuity and the large majority of the show's audience will be oblivious to the countless other Jedi hiding out in the galaxy.

Having so many Jedi survive the Purge (even having any Jedi besides Obi-Wan and Yoda) takes away the power of the Order 66 scene in RotS. That was one of the few scenes in the Prequels that made the audience really feel something.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

First of all, Order 66 had a 90% kill rate (Insider), but that still means about 100 Jedi survived the initial Purge. That is totally feasible & realistic.

Quinlan Vos was in TCW which makes him screen canon. If they follow the part of his storyline that he survived the Purge, he could be in Rebels.

Obi-Wan in ANH: Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and kill the Jedi. That doesn't mean it happened all at once. Easy storyline for Vader tracking down survivors after Order 66 -- which Dark Horse is already doing.

I'm not going to get in a tizzy about surviving Jedi until I see something to really get in a tizzy about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ummmmmmmmm yea I know it is a 5 second clip but does anyone els get the "This is going to be a kiddy show, like 5-10 year old kind of children's show" feeling?!? I know Clone Wars was a "kids" show although I'll take a ten page argument out with anyone about how it was very mature and boaderline not a kids show........ But this.... Maybe it was just the Disney announcers super excited "saterday morning pitch" of a sale but..... I don't know. People were mad about lines like "artoey" and "sky guy" but can u imagin how childish a real children SW show can go... Scares me a bit

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
First of all, Order 66 had a 90% kill rate (Insider), but that still means about 100 Jedi survived the initial Purge. That is totally feasible & realistic.

Quinlan Vos was in TCW which makes him screen canon. If they follow the part of his storyline that he survived the Purge, he could be in Rebels.

Obi-Wan in ANH: Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and kill the Jedi. That doesn't mean it happened all at once. Easy storyline for Vader tracking down survivors after Order 66 -- which Dark Horse is already doing.

I'm not going to get in a tizzy about surviving Jedi until I see something to really get in a tizzy about.

What I find slightly tizzifying is the "Jedi will rise" line, that doesn't sound to me like Vader is going to have much success with his hunting and killing. I just can't see the writers creating (or reusing) Jedi main characters and then killing them off in a TV show that's aimed at children. Jedi surviving Order 66 is one thing but living on past ANH is another.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

This is true. I guess it's the fact that the amount of named Jedi who were killed vs. named Jedi who survived is about 50/50 (and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are more who survived) and it gives you kind of a skewed impression of Order 66. It doesn't seem like 90% of Jedi were killed even if that is the statistic. I can't argue with your logic though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

1337Jedi wrote:
Ummmmmmmmm yea I know it is a 5 second clip but does anyone els get the "This is going to be a kiddy show, like 5-10 year old kind of children's show" feeling?!? I know Clone Wars was a "kids" show although I'll take a ten page argument out with anyone about how it was very mature and boaderline not a kids show........ But this.... Maybe it was just the Disney announcers super excited "saterday morning pitch" of a sale but..... I don't know. People were mad about lines like "artoey" and "sky guy" but can u imagin how childish a real children SW show can go... Scares me a bit

Hopefully the creators will be inspired by the movies closest to the show, meaning a tone similar to the OT where TCW was closer to the PT. If it is meant as an introduction to the ST for a new audience, such a tone becomes even more likely. Not to mention that the big driving force behind the "it's for kids"-approach was the guy no longer in charge.

The odds are with us that it won't be more kiddie than TCW, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If Darth Maul and Boba Fett can survive dying, why not the Jedi? Bring back Mace Windu!
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:

Though I agree with the overall sentiment, I do have to quibble over the specific statistics. At the start of the war there were - I think according to Lucas - about 10,000 Jedi. For the Purge to have a kill rate of 90% and leave 100 Jedi, then 9,000 would have had to have died from the war, leaving only 1,000 Jedi at the end (pre-Purge). I'm not entirely certain that's correct. There was certainly attrition of Jedi numbers, but I think a more plausible number would be about 9,000 left. Now if you wipe out 99% of that, you are still left with slightly less than 100 during the Dark Times, giving Vader plenty to do while he's not quelling rebellions or surviving assassination attempts.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well the source is Insider Magazine and that makes it canon. What can I tell you?

I thought Karen Traviss's stats on clone numbers was ridiculously low, but it too is canon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

More Rebels info. The further demolition of the EU has begun.

http://www.newsarama.com/19219-nycc-2013-star-wars-rebels-the-might-of-the-empire-panel-live.html

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 5