Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, I saw the film, was annoyed with that line, and, until just now, didn't know that Tyson was also critical of it ...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Also, there's a gaff that bothers me to this day. Just a stupid line of dialogue, but it can also take you out of the experience. Charlize Theron mentions that the ship is half a billion miles from Earth. That's not in another star system. That's near Jupiter.

Neil Degrasse Tyson, is that you?

I know that you didn't specifically say that it was your idea, but you did omit that a famous person said it and thereby leave open the implication that it was you who thought of it, not just repeated what someone else said. So basically I'm calling out shenanigans on that as a legitimate mistake since it's something that most people did not actually have a problem with when watching the movie.

Lol, yes, I'm sorry about not crediting that appropriately. That was Neil Degrasse Tyson who assessed that.

I apologize for accidental shenanigans.

On an unrelated note: the Director's Cut of Star Trek: TMP was better than the original release. They re-edited some of the effects shots, fixed a few mistakes (some people felt that the cloud being 82 Astronomical Units in diameter was too big, so they re-edited it to 2 AU; and they replaced an old matte painting background that had moons in the background, but the TV series said that Vulcan had no moons, so I understand some fans were pissed).

They also cut out a bunch of random "look at the size of that thing!" type stuff, and some elements of Deltan culture. They did, unfortunately, keep the extremely long "Look! New Enterprise!" scene. That went on forever!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
They did, unfortunately, keep the extremely long "Look! New Enterprise!" scene. That went on forever!

That scene did originally have a good purpose - it was the first time the Enterprise was shown in movie theaters, with a much bigger budget than the TV show. At the time, people were excited to see that scene.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
They did, unfortunately, keep the extremely long "Look! New Enterprise!" scene. That went on forever!

That scene did originally have a good purpose - it was the first time the Enterprise was shown in movie theaters, with a much bigger budget than the TV show. At the time, people were excited to see that scene.

I suppose you're right. And it also got to showcase the great new score. I just felt it was too long.

I would've loved to have seen some of those old movies in theatres, especially back in the day. Imagine the end of Wrath of Khan for the first time, without any other context (like future movies and TV shows).

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I suppose you're right. And it also got to showcase the great new score. I just felt it was too long.

I would've loved to have seen some of those old movies in theatres, especially back in the day. Imagine the end of Wrath of Khan for the first time, without any other context (like future movies and TV shows).

The whole movie was too long. Btw, I did see the original movies in the theaters (first one was out in '79) but it's been so long ago I just can't remember very much about how I felt. Besides, Star Trek was already a known quantity so they just didn't have the same impact as Star Wars in '77...and by Star Wars I mean ANH.

But anyway I like the even numbered ones and the odds can go to that great film vault in the sky :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched TWOK and TSFS yesterday after TMP, then TVH, TFF, and TUC today.

TWOK - as good as I remember it being the first time. 'Nuff said.

TSFS- as good as I remember. Kirk's reaction at David's death was perfect, though I don't think saying "You Klingon ******" three times in a row was necessary. The scene with Uhura and the young officer was pretty funny, especially when she pulled the phaser on him.

TVH - A great ending to the Genesis arc, though I honestly found Gillian a little annoying and her coming to the 23rd century was hard to swallow.

TFF - uh ... no comment.

TUC - another great movie. Christopher Plummer does a pretty good job as Chang. The Shakespeare quotations were a little overused. I miss Sulu at the helm, but he's a good captain in his own right.

One thing confused me, though; what did Azetbur and Kirk's exchange at the end mean? "You've restored my father's faith" - "You've restored my son's." I don't understand that.

Am I correct in guessing that the explosion of Praxis happened earlier than 2293 in the ST09 timeline and that's why the one province on Qo'noS was uninhabited in Into Darkness?

Edit: never mind the Praxis question. I just looked it up and the answer's yes. Duh!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OT: But do you think that the supposed rivalry between Trek and Wars fans is real or embellished? In my experience, most people seem to be cool with both franchises.

Personally I don't really like Trek that much because I prefer the more fantasy oriented SW. But I've never felt any antagonism from or against Trek fans.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I don't know about the Trek/Wars thing. But apparently some Star Wars and Doctor Who fans really don't get along ...
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There is a bigger issue with antagonism from Trek fans than Wars fans. Trek Fans (from what I have noticed) who are antagonistic (because nowhere near all of them are) act so because they consider their preferred stories more intelligent and more intellectually relevant than Wars.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
There is a bigger issue with antagonism from Trek fans than Wars fans. Trek Fans (from what I have noticed) who are antagonistic (because nowhere near all of them are) act so because they consider their preferred stories more intelligent and more intellectually relevant than Wars.

And Star Trek came first, so they can claim that Star Wars was riding Star Trek's coattails. Sure, the level of interest in ST probably helped SW, but the success of SW led them to make the ST films, which led to TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. So I see them as more symbiotic.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

And Star Trek came first, so they can claim that Star Wars was riding Star Trek's coattails. Sure, the level of interest in ST probably helped SW, but the success of SW led them to make the ST films, which led to TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. So I see them as more symbiotic.

Exactly. I view them as pretty much equal in stature. SW has a richer EU (don't tell the ST fans that though) whereas Star Trek has better TV shows and its successfully pulled off the format in a way Star Wars never figured out. The OT Star Wars films, however, are better than anything the ST films put out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I don't know about the Trek/Wars thing. But apparently some Star Wars and Doctor Who fans really don't get along ...

You haven't seen the movie Fanboys, have you? Wink

I watched Star Trek first, mainly because I was alive then and Star Wars didn't exist yet. Also the original message of ST was commentary on the present day. ST ran during the height of political and social unrest and Roddenberry used the TV show as a forum to deliver messages. For those who were watching ST at the time, it offered hope for the future. I personally loved the original Trek but that's because it wasn't really a scifi show at all.

However, as soon as I saw Star Wars in '77, that was it for me. I still like Trek, but Wars has my love.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone else seen Gravity? I thought it was awesome. I can't remember the last time I've felt anxiety during a movie. Excellent use of 3D.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Has anyone else seen Gravity? I thought it was awesome. I can't remember the last time I've felt anxiety during a movie. Excellent use of 3D.

I've heard nothing but good things, but I have zero interest in seeing it.

Unless it features almost exclusively someone's innermost thoughts as they kareen (sp?) away from the Earth on a one-way course for death by asphyxiation in the loneliness of space (which it could be if that's the direction they chose), then I'm alright not seeing it.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

I've heard nothing but good things, but I have zero interest in seeing it.

Unless it features almost exclusively someone's innermost thoughts as they kareen (sp?) away from the Earth on a one-way course for death by asphyxiation in the loneliness of space (which it could be if that's the direction they chose), then I'm alright not seeing it.

That's what you fill in yourself. The main character is easily relatable, so you see the events through her eyes. I was thinking what I would be thinking if I was in that situation for sure. The best part of the movie was the reality of it. Even though I was in a room full of people I felt so alone while watching. I think that was more disturbing than the imminent danger of projectiles, lack of oxygen etc.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 162 of 186