What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Hopefully. I've been buying all the other Dune books in my free time. They're all waiting for me, eyeing me evilly from the bookshevles. Laughing

The gaze...its hypnotic, yes?

Their gaze forces you to buy. It's a trap.

But knowing there's a trap is the first step in evading it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25, a little over halfway through Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen, and about a fifth of the way through Covered With Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry at The Battle of Gettysburg. Enjoying all of them, especially Covered With Glory. Now I'm tempted to buy Boy Colonel of the Confederacy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am reading C. S. Lewis - A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet by Alister McGrath.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finshed Rise of the Elgen.

Still reading Covered With Glory and loving it. It's really amazing how the 26th North Carolina kept up their advance against the 24th Michigan that July 1st even with their comrades dropping like flies from the enemy fire - especially the color guard. Speaking of the color guard, I was very surprised to read that the 26th's two senior officers and one of General JJ Pettigrew's own staff officers actually carried the colors at different times for a few seconds during the advance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm trying to finish up A Dance with Dragons. This one's slow going.

I also got the first Mortal Instruments book from my library. Let's see if it manages not to be awful.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

I've been working on A Storm of Swords. Not sure I'm going to continue after that.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:

I've been working on A Storm of Swords. Not sure I'm going to continue after that.

Is if because you want to be surprised when watching the show or because you just aren't interested? Because I love AFFC but ADWD didn't do it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:

Is if because you want to be surprised when watching the show or because you just aren't interested? Because I love AFFC but ADWD didn't do it for me.

I find myself getting bored of half the characters. Most of them are just traveling from one place to another for a thousand pages, with not enough action or intrigue happening in between. A Storm of Swords just feels way too long.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Sense and Sensibility. In my opinion, the weakest of her novels.

Now reading an old favourite of mine: The Warlord Chronicles: The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. I got a little [a lot] bit excited about this a short while back, when reading up on the books on TVTropes, and got a hankering to reread it. Then I open the book and remember how unwieldy some of the names are. Luckily, Cornwell has provided a list of how to pronounce some of the names.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:

I find myself getting bored of half the characters. Most of them are just traveling from one place to another for a thousand pages, with not enough action or intrigue happening in between. A Storm of Swords just feels way too long.

I get that. The whole story is a slow burn.

A pity though, a little over halfway through ASOS some real s*** goes down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

Now reading an old favourite of mine: The Warlord Chronicles: The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. I got a little [a lot] bit excited about this a short while back, when reading up on the books on TVTropes, and got a hankering to reread it. Then I open the book and remember how unwieldy some of the names are. Luckily, Cornwell has provided a list of how to pronounce some of the names.

I've read The Winter King and Enemy of God, but not Excalibur. Embarassed Seeing the events through the eyes of a character like Derfel was great. Mordred the Younger is a complete a**. A good and different take on Arthurian legend, but some scenes in both books did make me a little uncomfortable. (So did some scenes in Mists of Avalon, for that matter.) I thought the last line in Enemy of God was brillant: "But for us, who had kept our oaths, it was what we had always wanted, for now, in all but name, Arthur was King."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Finished Sense and Sensibility. In my opinion, the weakest of her novels.

I do plan on reading these some day, but I don't have much money to spend on books due to schooling and such (and unfortunately my library does not have "The Warlord Chronicles"). So, when as I said ASAP, I meant it.

I'm reading Beowulf right now.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

I've read The Winter King and Enemy of God, but not Excalibur. Embarassed Seeing the events through the eyes of a character like Derfel was great. Mordred the Younger is a complete a**. A good and different take on Arthurian legend, but some scenes in both books did make me a little uncomfortable. (So did some scenes in Mists of Avalon, for that matter.) I thought the last line in Enemy of God was brillant: "But for us, who had kept our oaths, it was what we had always wanted, for now, in all but name, Arthur was King."

Having Derfel as the main character is, to my mind, Cornwell's masterstroke. From what I know of you, I think I can guess as to the type of scenes that made you uncomfortable, but what specifically? And I can't recall, off-hand, the Mists of Avalon scenes.

Also, read Excalibur, or you're dead to me Razz .

Quote:
I do plan on reading these some day, but I don't have much money to spend on books due to schooling and such (and unfortunately my library does not have "The Warlord Chronicles"). So, when as I said ASAP, I meant it.

That's okay, no pressure Smile . I just wanted you to read them, because I know you like Arthur, and that type of story, and thought you might like them. Also, they're my favourite stories by far, so I'm inclined to want everyone to read them.

Quote:

Which version? I've the Heaney version, which I thoroughly enjoyed, not least because it has the original version beside it.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:

Does your library do Interlibrary Loan? You might be able to get it that way.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Quote:

Which version? I've the Heaney version, which I thoroughly enjoyed, not least because it has the original version beside it.

I also have the Heaney version with the original Anglo-Saxon beside it. I'm actually doing a knight book marathon right now. I'm attempting to read all the major fictional knight stories that I can get my hands on in chronological order from The Song of Roland to modern stories. I'll probably read The Song of Roland once I'm finished with Beowulf.

Btw is Derfel based on an existing Arthurian character or is he new?

@Taral: By Jove, it does! It looks like I'll be reading "The Warlord Chronicles" sooner than expected. I'll fit it into the reading plan I was talking about above.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 97 of 110