Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge by Martha Wells
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge by Martha Wells
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote  

This week Del Rey finally revealed the title for Martha Wells' upcoming Leia novel. It will be called Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge. Note that the series was previously called the Rebels series. It's now Empire and Rebellion.

Release Date: October 15, 2013
Hardcover

Blurb: Princess Leia Organa is on a mission for the Rebel Alliance when Imperial forces attack. Now she, Han, and Luke are on their own, working with pirates and dealing with traitors as they race the clock to protect the secrecy of a crucial meeting of Rebel conspirators!

I've read a few books by Martha Wells and they're all very good. She has a real knack for creating exotic locations filled with strange creatures.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Though I wasn't expecting it, I was hoping Han and Luke wouldn't be playing a major role. But based on that blurb, I suspect they will be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote  

Bumping this thread now that cover has been revealed. I really like the change in outfit.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I like Rebels more than Empire and Rebellion, but still Leia looks very cool in this outfite. With Brian Wood Star Wars it seems that badass Leia is the trand of the season Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote  

Release date for Razor's Edge has been moved up to October 1st.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Random House has a synopsis for the book up now...

I'll hide it just in case some feel that a synopsis is too spoilery.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I actually like the twist there seemed to be.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

As soon as I read that, I was sold.

I submitted my pre-order with Amazon. $17.94 and free 2-day shipping -- I love having Amazon Prime! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Last week...

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2013/09/50-page-fridays-martha-wells.html

Every Friday, we here @ Del Rey Spectra will place a 50 page excerpt of a selected title on Suvudu. Whether it is science fiction, epic fantasy, alternate history, horror, urban fantasy, paranormal, the possibilities are endless.

This week we’re reading an exciting excerpt from RAZOR’S EDGE, Martha Wells’ Star Wars debut!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/166029195/RAZOR-S-EDGE-by-Martha-Wells-50-Page-Fridays#.Ui3fxcbOmTM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote  

It's a good Leia and Han story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote  

Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge is out today in hardcover, digital and audiobook formats.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/225871/razors-edge-star-wars-empire-and-rebellion-by-martha-wells

This marks the first book in the Empire and Rebellion series, as well as Martha Wells' first Star Wars novel. Lots of Leia action with some good Han focus as well (and just a little bit of Luke and Chewie). Set a little bit before The Empire Strikes Back, it's a good book to check out if you want to relive the good old Original Trilogy period.

There's also already a ton of interviews with Martha if you want to check them out.

Fiction State of Mind
GeekMom
Geek with Curves
Her Universe
Hollywood.com
Jedi News
Roqoo Depot
TheForce.NetThis Blog is Full of Words

Extras
Razor's Edge artwork by Magali Villeneuve via FANgirl Blog

If you're in the Austin, TX area, you can head on over to the Arboretum Barnes and Noble on October 5 for Martha Wells and Aaron Allston's book signing on Star Wars Reads Day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, I just finished this and it really didn't do much for me. I didn't hate it but at the same time, I had to force myself to pick it up the second day I was reading it. I think that rather than it being bad, it was just a disappointment. Like I was hoping it would be so much more than it was. Maybe if I read it again down the line my opinion will change, but at the moment I can't help but think they could have done so much more.

One thing that I really didn't like was how they seemed to be acting that Alderaanians were too evolved to do what the Aegis crew was. That they were so much better than having to stoop to those levels. It felt like they were placing Alderaan on a pedestal above all the other worlds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote  

For me, it wasn't that they put Alderaanians on a pedestal, but that they threw pirates under the bus. In the early EU, Han was often referred to as a pirate. In this book, there seemed to be a consensus that pirates were a very bad group of society, and there wasn't any such thing as good pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Maybe it was a bit of both for they really pushed the pirates are scum of the galaxy a bit much. Though I also felt they pushed the idea that once Alderaan was destroyed then all survivors would naturally join the Rebels and not for revenge, for that was wrong, but because it was the right thing to do. For one to do anything else was beyond believe and sacrilege to the memory of Alderaan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote  

I didn't get that vibe from it. To me, it seemed like Leia's issue with the pirates was that they were killing civilians and trying to rationalize it as revenge against the Empire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2