Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 173, 174, 175  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:

You haven't seen the movie Fanboys, have you? Wink

I watched Star Trek first, mainly because I was alive then and Star Wars didn't exist yet. Also the original message of ST was commentary on the present day. ST ran during the height of political and social unrest and Roddenberry used the TV show as a forum to deliver messages. For those who were watching ST at the time, it offered hope for the future. I personally loved the original Trek but that's because it wasn't really a scifi show at all.

However, as soon as I saw Star Wars in '77, that was it for me. I still like Trek, but Wars has my love.

Haha, yes, I've seen it.

Recently I've been watching TOS. I can't really say I'm a fan of it, though. I much prefer the later series', DS9 in particular.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

You haven't seen the movie Fanboys, have you? Wink

I watched Star Trek first, mainly because I was alive then and Star Wars didn't exist yet. Also the original message of ST was commentary on the present day. ST ran during the height of political and social unrest and Roddenberry used the TV show as a forum to deliver messages. For those who were watching ST at the time, it offered hope for the future. I personally loved the original Trek but that's because it wasn't really a scifi show at all.

However, as soon as I saw Star Wars in '77, that was it for me. I still like Trek, but Wars has my love.

Haha, yes, I've seen it.

Recently I've been watching TOS. I can't really say I'm a fan of it, though. I much prefer the later series', DS9 in particular.

I've been rewatching by DS9 DVDs. I've also been listening to a podcast called "Mission Log", where they go through and analyze every episode of Star Trek, looking for messages, meanings, etc. and whether the episodes last the test of time (spoiler: some very much do, others not at all). It's been a lot of fun, especially when they deconstruct some of the things that do not hold up (rampant sexism, for example, despite the show's attempts to be progressive in other areas).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral, what do you think of the late Season 4/early Season 5 storyline with Kira as surrogate mother to Kirayoshi O'Brien? I've seen a few, but not all, of those 14 episodes.

The scenes inBody Parts are decent, especially the Kira & Keiko scene in the O'Briens' quarters while Keiko is recovering.

The sneezing scene in Apocalypse Rising was rather hilarious with Dax's sassiness and Worf's exasperated question to Sisko about Dax's previous host. Of course, Dukat's surprise on seeing Kira pregant and learning O'Brien is the father had me chuckling.

The Darkness and the Light was pretty good, even though Kira should have known better than to put both herself and the baby in danger.

The Begotten, though ... that one sucks. The rivalry between Shakaar and O'Brien had me rolling my eyes. IMO, the only good scene from that episode was when Y'Pora was holding the newborn Kirayoshi.

Edit: I mean that The Begotten subplot with Kirayoshi's birth sucks, not that the entire episode sucks. The "A" plot with Odo is great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral, what do you think of the late Season 4/early Season 5 storyline with Kira as surrogate mother to Kirayoshi O'Brien? I've seen a few, but not all, of those 14 episodes.

The scenes inBody Parts are decent, especially the Kira & Keiko scene in the O'Briens' quarters while Keiko is recovering.

The sneezing scene in Apocalypse Rising was rather hilarious with Dax's sassiness and Worf's exasperated question to Sisko about Dax's previous host. Of course, Dukat's surprise on seeing Kira pregant and learning O'Brien is the father had me chuckling.

The Darkness and the Light was pretty good, even though Kira should have known better than to put both herself and the baby in danger.

The Begotten, though ... that one sucks. The rivalry between Shakaar and O'Brien had me rolling my eyes. IMO, the only good scene from that episode was when Y'Pora was holding the newborn Kirayoshi.

Edit: I mean that The Begotten subplot with Kirayoshi's birth sucks, not that the entire episode sucks. The "A" plot with Odo is great.

Personally, I thought it was a clever way to get around Nana Visitor's pregnancy without completing ignoring it.

There's a great moment in Apocalypse Rising I think where Kira blames Bashir for the whole thing - which was the writers' way of acknowledging that Alexander Siddig was actually the father.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

GrandMaster wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Personally, I thought it was a clever way to get around Nana Visitor's pregnancy without completing ignoring it.

There's a great moment in Apocalypse Rising I think where Kira blames Bashir for the whole thing - which was the writers' way of acknowledging that Alexander Siddig was actually the father.

I also thought the arc was a clever way to deal with her pregnancy (significantly better than that half-season where B'Elanna wore that other uniform to hide Roxann Dawson's pregnancy). And it did have some clever moments (not just the sneezing scene in Apocalypse Rising, but also the scene where Kira tells Dukat straight-faced that O'Brien is the father of the baby).

Was Body Parts the one with all the sexual tension? Because that was well done.

I don't remember the details of the rest of the episodes you referenced (I've seen them all before, but in my re-watch, I'm only as far as S4: The Sword of Kahless). I remember the O'Brien/Shakaar rivalry, but didn't think anything strongly about it (except that Keiko and Kira's reaction to it was good).

Little Green Men was on the other day, and it remains one of my favourite episodes.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I've been rewatching by DS9 DVDs. I've also been listening to a podcast called "Mission Log", where they go through and analyze every episode of Star Trek, looking for messages, meanings, etc. and whether the episodes last the test of time (spoiler: some very much do, others not at all). It's been a lot of fun, especially when they deconstruct some of the things that do not hold up (rampant sexism, for example, despite the show's attempts to be progressive in other areas).

Yeah, I do remember more than a few instances of sexism in DS9 which made me rather disappointed in the show. Thanks for the info on that podcast; if I ever get around to rewatching it, I wouldn't mind listening to it.

Speaking of sexism in Star Trek, one of the more shocking examples, to my mind, that I came across during my watching of TOS was when Kirk was split into two Kirks, due to a transporter malfunction: a good Kirk and a bad Kirk. The bad Kirk attempts to rape Yeoman Rand. At the end of the episode, Spock says to Yeoman Rand 'the imposter had some interesting qualities, wouldn't you say, Yeoman?' Yeah. Spock said that. Shocked
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry for the double post.

Since when have they been making a film version of The Man From UNCLE? That's news to me (although, to be honest, I was never a big fan of the show so it's not really in the top five of the best things to happen to me today) A crew were filming it today up at Goodwood House.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote  

I went and saw Machete Kills. I really liked the first movie, but this one wasn't nearly as good. That said, I still enjoyed it and had some laughs. Most surprising of all was the Star Wars references. Best scene was when Danny Trejo and Mel Gibson are driving around in a landspeeder. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I finally saw Now You See Me. It was ok, but, man, too much Mark Ruffalo. I get why they focused on him so much, but his bits were the most boring.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No way! I thought Mark Ruffalo is such a great actor that he can play a crappy actor. Well a cliched detective anyway. Don't blame the Ruffalo, blame the script.

The twist ending should have been that he was Batman and he stole his own money. That would explain why he was hanging around with Morgan Freeman and Michael Cane.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote  

Did he HULK SMASH! anyone? Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I bought and re-watched Monsters University tonight and it was better than I remembered. I think I can now safely say it is up there with Pixar's greats... which in my book includes every Pixar movie except Cars 2 and Brave.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote  

I saw Gravity, I thought it was a pretty decent movie. Due to the special affects and the nature of the film, it's definitely more oriented toward the big screen experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

This past weekend my wife and I found a store that rents movies (all the ones near our house closed down!) We rented a few titles:

1- Warm Bodies: I had a lot of fun with this. The Romeo and Juliet vibe was really well done, if a bit on the nose at some points. But I thought the story was cool. My wife was worried that too much of it would be voice-over, but we agreed that the internal monologue parts were well done.

2- Much Ado About Nothing: This was Joss Whedon's modern take on the Shakespeare play, using almost entirely actors from his shows (Alexis Denisof, Amy Acker, Nathan Fillion, Tom Lenk, Clark Gregg, the guy who played Simon on Serenity, 1-2 people from Dollhouse, etc.) Reminded me a lot of Baz Lurman (sp?)'s Romeo + Juliet, in that it was in a modern setting, but used the script of the play. I particularly liked how they did soliliquys, having the character talking to themselves as they did things like exercise.

3- Now You See Me: Still haven't seen it. Due back Saturday, so will probably watch it Friday, if I had to guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
1- Warm Bodies: I had a lot of fun with this. The Romeo and Juliet vibe was really well done, if a bit on the nose at some points. But I thought the story was cool. My wife was worried that too much of it would be voice-over, but we agreed that the internal monologue parts were well done.

I love that movie and I'm not ashamed! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 163 of 175