The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I posted this on the TF.N Lit boards about two months ago in reply to another poster.

Nathan Butler suggested on the SWT-G Facebook page on May 20th and June 6th that this(referring to Leland Chee's tweet that there are no current plans to mesh pre and post 2008 Clone Wars stories) could mean that Star Wars could be split into two continuities, with the first six films and the EU works being one continuity until Episode VII comes out, while the second would be all the films (including the ST) plus TCW and Rebels.

I've been leaning toward this idea for the last several months. Face it, Episode VII is likely to be a game changer; SOTJ and the Kemp duology might be on ice, which could potentially mean that Crucible (and Legacy) might end up being the last EU work(s) chronologically in the established EU. To be honest I like the idea of TCW being in its own continuity with the films and Rebels; means a fix to mesh all the pre and post 2008 Clone Wars works isn't quite so necessary. It would also allow fans to - and yes, I'm using the term here - choose which continuity to be their personal canon. I get the feeling there will probably be something like this eventually:

Timeline I: Episodes I-IX, TCW (and related works?), Rebels (Droids, Ewoks, and Holiday Special as well if people want to get technical.)

Timeline II: Episodes I-VI, all EU material published from 1977-2013, except for the TCW related works?*

Timeline III: Everything from Timeline I plus EU works connected to the ST?

*Tough call here since Mortis made its way into FOTJ.

WHat do you think? Impractical? Possible? Any suggestions I might have overlooked?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In other words George Lucas canon. But for realzies this time.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't see the practical difference between a completely new EU overwriting the old, and two different continuities. The odds of more works being produced for the old EU when the ST is the hot new thing on the block are astronomically low. And continuity only has value towards the creation of future works. The old EU being officially acknowledged as an alternate universe, all the while falling by the wayside completely, and having no power to confine the new one, would be mere lip service.

In practice it means the new EU steamrolls the old, no matter how you slice it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
The odds of more works being produced for the old EU when the ST is the hot new thing on the block are astronomically low.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I find it hard to believe that the Powers That Be will continue to publish books set in an "alternate timeline". The EU fanbase is already shrinking and I can't imagine it will gain many new members new that the Sequel Trilogy is in the works. The timeline will probably be split in two, but I doubt the second timeline (i.e. the one with the EU) will be continued. It will just be a relic of the past.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

With a new EU, would you like to see things from the old EU brought over (like Mara Jade or the Solo kids), or would you like to see a clean break?

Personally, I think a clean break would be best. Let the new EU be it own thing.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

With that, I'd want a clean break. Granted I'd miss the characters, but thanks to reading other serial fiction where they've done reboots but kept the characters I know it doesn't always work that well. I'd rather see the writers of a new EU have their hands completely free and not tied to the remnants of the old one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
With a new EU, would you like to see things from the old EU brought over (like Mara Jade or the Solo kids), or would you like to see a clean break?

Well, I don't think Mara and the Solo kids would even be possible in light of Episode VII. Luke will almost certainly married to someone or living a life of celibacy and the Solos will almost certainly have different kid(s).

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Regardless of my personal preference, I think pilfering the old EU for its best contributions is the most likely outcome. In my limited experience, that is what tends to happen with fiction. Shed the bad, take the good with you for the reboot.

TCW is example of this mindset: "We gave a small nod to the EU, for the fans" to paraphrase Filoni on several occasions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I really don't want to see the old EU go. Its the only reason I love Star Wars so much. Its why, to me, SW is mostly tied with Star Trek as my favorite media franchise. Without it, its just a few good movies, one ok movie, and two horrible ones, which would put it below star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, and stargate when it comes to Sci Fi franchises I like. I have no interest in VII (the director who destroyed Star Trek getting his hands on SW? I'd rather get more Jar Jar) so if the EU is done, to me SW will be dead. I'll still love what we got, and read the stuff I haven't gotten to yet, but to me, a reboot of the EU means the franchise is officially dead. It will also mean the Star Trek novelverse will be the only ongoing good sci fi I have left. With babylon 5 and Firefly long dead, Star Trek live action just being a series of lowest common denominator action flicks and Star wars movies soon to be the same, the Star Wars EU and Star Trek books are where I get my sci fi enjoyment these days. I really don't want to lose Star Wars, but I won't read a reboot of the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EU continuity almost seems like a moot point, but it's one of the things about Rebels that got my panties in such a bunch.

The Clone Wars was ostensibly Lucas' idea, and it at least made an attempt to mesh a little bit with the EU which he had tacitly endorsed most of the time and had explicitly endorsed several times. Rebels is now Lucas free, so what chance do you think it has for preserving EU continuity?

I've read a lot about people feeling like it will stamp out The Force Unleashed. No matter how you feel about that story itself, it was one of the projects that was heavily endorsed by Lucas and promoted as a significant canon story. If they scrap that it will be bad blood for me.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote  

Well Pablo seems to be pretty active in the "Story Group" there always mentioning now. If anyone can tie-in the EU to the new material, he can.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Star Wars has officially degenerated to the same level as Star Trek when it comes to canon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ You just realized this now? Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More like realized there's no stopping this downward spiral, Reep. Wink

That said, its a bit sad to see Star Wars sliding to this level. I get the feeling that Pablo is kind of starting not to care so much about how Star Wars as a whole maintained a pretty good continuity over the last 30+ years, and the EU is being dismissed, to quote Darth Henning's term over on TF.N, "fluff."

And this leaves me torn. I want to see the new movies in theaters like I did with AOTC and ROTS. I was excited for them. At the same time, however, I spent several years (until my parents put their foot down) buying EU material, material that I wanted to finish someday since I'm still missing many of the books, all of the comics, and a bunch of other stuff.

But now I'm beginning to think, "Why should I care? What is it really worth anyway if the new films and Rebels are going to set a cavalier attitude toward continuity and no more material for EU 1.0 will be produced ( though admittedly, the latter would give me a chance to catch up on everything)?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
But now I'm beginning to think, "Why should I care? What is it really worth anyway if the new films and Rebels are going to set a cavalier attitude toward continuity and no more material for EU 1.0 will be produced ( though admittedly, the latter would give me a chance to catch up on everything)?"

Indeed. Saying that the EU - which has made Lucas a whack load of money and that we've invested in financially and emotionally for years - is nothing but "fanfiction" was not cool (and complete nonsense! Mad ). But... yeah, I've ranted about this many a time and it seems redundant to do it again. Not cool, Mr. Lucas.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 67 of 69