Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Now that JJ is directly writing it, we'll be getting JJTrek with a different name. Oh, well. It was nice having a little bit of hope while it lasted. Still, now that it has no chance at all of being good, atleast I won't have any expectations of it being anywhere close to decent, so I won't be dissappointed. I never thought I'd see the day where all I wanted was for george Lucas to write a Star Wars movie. I'm sure that compared to VII, Phantom Menace will look like a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote  

I was really hoping for some Ewoks, but with Kasdan and Abrams finishing the script, it looks like that won't happen. (neither of them like Ewoks)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
It smells of complete and unwanted rewrite, which in my experience is correlated with an increasingly messy movie, as more creative visions and perspectives start competing.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the news. I know The Voyage of the Dawn Treader went through multiple scriptwriters. I fear Episode VII will end up, like VDT, as a compromise movie. There are so many groups of people to please: Disney, Lucasfilm, J. J. Abrams, George Lucas, OT purist fans, Prequel defender fans, EU fans (and every other faction) etc. There's no single vision for the groups to rally behind. Star Wars has become so divided that I don't think that would even be possible.

I like Arndt, but I have to admit, it's pretty cool that they have Kasden involved with the script.

@Skuldren: You know I wouldn't mind some more Ewoks. Especially an Ewok bounty hunter or something. Something you wouldn't expect.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Niner wrote:
Now that JJ is directly writing it, we'll be getting JJTrek with a different name. Oh, well. It was nice having a little bit of hope while it lasted. Still, now that it has no chance at all of being good, atleast I won't have any expectations of it being anywhere close to decent, so I won't be dissappointed. I never thought I'd see the day where all I wanted was for george Lucas to write a Star Wars movie. I'm sure that compared to VII, Phantom Menace will look like a masterpiece.

Let's try to keep a little optimism, Niner. You're too pessimistic about this. We don't know precisely what's happening with the script - whether it will be completely rewritten or just some changes. Besides, calling it "JJTrek with a different name" borders, to me, on the ridiculous. Remember, Star Trek at least has some real elements in it, whereas Star Wars is completely fictional. And I do not consider ST09 and Star Wars to be in any way alike as some maintain they are. They're both different sagas set in different universes, period.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Not to mention Abrams actually really likes Star Wars, whereas he seems indifferent towards Star Trek.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

haha, niner. Let the H8 flow through you!
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote  

Don't listen to him, Niner. Resist the dark side...unless we end up with Luke Lensflare as the leader of the Jedi Order. Then it's time to switch sides. Twisted Evil

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cue inevitable delay announcement.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm not too hopeful for VII. Then again, my hatred for Abrams is such that, if this was the SW Universe and I were a jedi, I'd be instantly lured to the dark side by the promise of getting some...payback for ST09 Twisted Evil

To be fair, JJ didn't write ST09, but I don't believe all of its story/character problems were the fault of the writers, even if the writers also wrote the horrible Transformers 1 & 2. The only thing he's helped write that I've seen was Armageddon, and thats the only Michael bay movie I like. But, that movie had about five writers, so for all I know he wrote the really stupid parts of that movie (that Bay wasn't responsible for).

I'm glad his writing partner for VII has some good credits to his name, but I'm thinking this will end up being mostly JJ's movie, with a bit of help from the guy who wrote V,VI and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I really hope its the reverse, and its mostly Kasdan's movie, but I doubt it. Either way, thinking about it, I guess the movie has a chance of being good, although I stand by my comment about how I'd rather get another Lucas movie than this. Atleast that would be more of a known quality, and I'd prefer the normal (aka mediocre to horrible) Lucas movies that we've gotten since Episode I over JJ Abrams movies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That script rewrite is the best news I've heard so far on the movie. If the original script is as we suspect just a work up of Lucas' treatment, then it can only be an improvement. Star Wars needed all those rewrites because Lucas screenwriting was a huge mess, frankly.

As the director JJ would be writing his own shooting script, that's standard. He is probably just tweaking the script for filming and bringing Kasdan on board to get it in line with the other SW movies, again a big plus.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote  

Kasdan is well known for his desire to kill characters off in Star Wars. Think this will be his big opportunity to get it in the final script?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ You mean Kasden is the Troy Denning of screenwriters? Razz

I'm neutral on this. I think Kasden's influence will be good, but it is worrying that yet another voice is being added to the stew. Coould be good, could be bad. *shrugs*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That script rewrite is the best news I've heard so far on the movie. If the original script is as we suspect just a work up of Lucas' treatment, then it can only be an improvement. Star Wars needed all those rewrites because Lucas screenwriting was a huge mess, frankly.

I'd be very, very suprised if any rewrite was a move away from GL's treatment, rather than conforming more to it.

If there is one thing the information so far has convinced me of, it is that GL was quite reluctant to part with SW. It seems very likely that he made it contractual that the movie would be based on his treatment. And even if he didn't, how stupid would Disney be to risk their first test of handing SW by deliberately moving away from the sancity of Lucas' blessing and creative vision? At least if it goes sour they can blame him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I'd be very, very suprised if any rewrite was a move away from GL's treatment, rather than conforming more to it.

Why is that? All of the SW movies had many rewrites that went away from GL original ideas for them. Wel,, All the OT, anyway.

But you do make a good case and I agree with you. I think the changes will concern more towards the filming and less towards altering the storyline.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, I am firmly on the side of those who think this is not a big deal. Via Club Jade, here's a pretty good, measured opinion on the development: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/jj-abrams-and-lawrence-kasdan-take-control-of-star-wars-script-as-spring-start-date-approaches
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 20 of 33