Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Um, what? This dude interprets "JJ is a good storyteller too" as "JJ is THE MAN... Arnt is off... and he's the main hand on the controls" which by implications means that he is going to change Arndt's story to his own... contrary to what the author initially states "I have no doubt Michael Arndt's work will be the spine of "Star Wars Episode VII"

If he didn't think that, why would he say that? He sounds like a moron, sorry.

"I would be shocked, frankly, if JJ Abrams didn't do at least one pass at the script"

DUH, the director wants to work on his own script. That's no news. This guy is using doubling speak calling it no surprise and then fueling the fires of speculation.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A lot of people seem to be despairing that the Sequel Trilogy will be based on George Lucas's original treatments, but I see this as a good thing because it shows some level of planning and inspiration. If Disney greenlit Episode VII out of the blue and the filmmakers had to scramble to get a story together, I would feel much worse about this movie. I don't have a problem with Lucas's overall vision of the Prequels, what got me was the specifics: bad dialogue, irrational character decisions, continuity errors etc. Having George Lucas envision the basic story of the Sequel Trilogy based on ideas that predate the release of the first Star Wars movie and having other more capable people handle the details seems like the right road to take.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote  

I'm with Reep on this. I have no problems with George doing the story treatment the script is based on.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Why is that? All of the SW movies had many rewrites that went away from GL original ideas for them. Wel,, All the OT, anyway.

News to me. All I've ever heard of were people helping him turn his abstract ideas into a usable script with solid dialogue, pacing and scene structure. His ideas expressed in a filmable format. With all evolutions of the plot being his doing. Never have I heard of Marcia, Francis or Steven coming in and altering the direction of the story or mythology as part of their contributions.

With the Ep. 7 treatment, we can expect no more than a vague overview of the plot and characters, with the nitty gritty details and its expression in the finished movie being the responsibility of other people. In other words, nowhere near the same reason to rewrite anything, as the first attempt -not written by an incompetent like GL- should have been adequate. And even if not, the rewrites would at least have been made by Arndt after getting feedback from others. When he instead leaves, we must consider other possibilities.

I just can't see anyone involved daring take the risk of rejecting that treatment, and following, I can't see some abrupt change of screenwriter as an indication of anything other than more conformity to it. Having deviated too much and a breakdown of subsequent negotiations is the most compelling reason I can think of for Arndt to have left the production. He is skilled enough to have alleviated public fear, and was handpicked by GL: It would take a lot for him to be fired. SW is a career-making opportunity even to a nobody, so it would take a lot for him to give it up and quit. So what else than irreconcilable creative differences could cause this break?

And given that Arndt is out, in the above scenario that means the treatment is still in. Hence my conviction that any changes by JJ and Kasdan will conform closer than Arndt did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote  

@DarthMRN: Have you read any of J.W. Rinzler's "Making of" books? The ROTJ one in particular gives lots of detail on the evolution of the script, through its various drafts, and even transcripts of meetings between George, Kasdan and Marquand as they worked out the details of the script and plot points. George was very open to changes.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I guess I just don't see where it is implicit in the announcements that Arndt is "off" the project and especially not that he is choosing to leave because of problems he has with the staff members, or he is being forced to leave because they have problems with him.

I would assume he was commissioned to draft a script and do just that, no less no more. I don't see why we should assume that he would be expected to participate in any future changes to the script or why we should assume that there is a creative conflict if he is not.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@DarthMRN: Have you read any of J.W. Rinzler's "Making of" books? The ROTJ one in particular gives lots of detail on the evolution of the script, through its various drafts, and even transcripts of meetings between George, Kasdan and Marquand as they worked out the details of the script and plot points. George was very open to changes.

Nope. Any pertinent examples come to mind? I find it hard to believe others would even attempt to encroach on his control of the specific content and mythology, let alone him accepting such after having fought with studios all along and watched Kershner butcher ESB in his absence.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I guess I just don't see where it is implicit in the announcements that Arndt is "off" the project and especially not that he is choosing to leave because of problems he has with the staff members, or he is being forced to leave because they have problems with him.

I would assume he was commissioned to draft a script and do just that, no less no more. I don't see why we should assume that he would be expected to participate in any future changes to the script or why we should assume that there is a creative conflict if he is not.

You'd think there was a comment or interview with him where he pre-empted speculation like mine, or was just curteously handing the reins over to the next batch of people. Instead we have KK reassuring us that the replacements are competent enough. There is the main implication.

But further, one has to ask why Arndt would leave at all. Why a director and SW veteran were suddenly better choices than a dedicated script writer of the highest order. Why he didn't just collaborate with them if their input was that invaluable. Scheduling conflicts? Arndt wasn't willing to clear his slate for kriffing Star Wars?!
I freely admit to being a layman to matters related to scriptwriting, but I sure don't see the sense in completely replacing the writer at a given point in development, and especially not in a production that has to be right, perhaps more than any other movie in recent memory.

It just smells fishy all around. Of course, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation. But that seems the unlikely scenario, given the info we have.

The creative conflict bit has to do with GL wanting Arndt from the beginning, all the while being so anal about his creative control that Iger had to make sure he had the law on his side if they decided they needed to override him. What I know about GL's priorities regarding this production leaves only creative differences a compelling enough reason for Arndt to be axed, unless he simply quit, where again, creative differences is the most likely reason I can think of, given the magnitude of SW on anyone's CV and bank roll.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-disney-651482

Not good, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Why do I get the feeling Bob Iger will replace Lucas as the target of fan scorn for the Sequel Trilogy?

Rushing stories is never a good idea...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been mildly skeptical of the 2015 date from the time the news of the sale broke last year. Even with some work already done on the script by last October, I still didn't think they could make a 2015 release; nows it's a full year later and the only thing that has been confirmed for certain is the director. No hints at a cast lineup, no story hints, nothing. Either they're being secretive (too secretive) or the production's in trouble and they're trying to gloss it over.

2015 is already jammed anyway. Disney was setting itself up for potential problems if one of their three tentpole franchises crashed and burned due to the '15 movie swamp. Setting Avengers 2 for May and Pirates 5 for July was not, I think, a very smart move, particularly for Pirates since it would be facing some possible stiff competiton from ID2 and MOS 2. They showed sense in finally wising up and delaying Pirates. With Star Wars Disney should take the lesson from Paramount with Star Trek Into Darkness that there's no shame in delaying an installment of a major franchise from a long comitted release date slot if it's not ready rather than rushing it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does Episode VII even have a release date? I know we have a release year, but did we get an actual date? If not, then why not delay it?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Does Episode VII even have a release date? I know we have a release year, but did we get an actual date? If not, then why not delay it?

No, Disney hasn't set a firm release date beyond the repeated "summer 2015".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think delaying it would mess up their larger plans (their release schedule beyond 2015).

I don't see why they can't do a lot of work simultaneously though. The needn't really be done until filming starts, and I've heard of cases of re-writes happening while filming too (case in point: they re-wrote Amazing Spider-Man 2 during filming, cutting all of Shailene Woodley's scenes as MJ, even though they'd filmed a bunch of them already). The casting is a more pressing concern, since negotiations can take time, and schedules need to be arranged.

They need to get on casting though. Avengers: Age of Ultron is also due for 2015, and the new cast members are being announced already, and the script is fairly far along I think. Conversely, Ant-Man has a script (I think), but no cast members have been announced.

So I think they just need to buckle down, work simultaneously, and get it done.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote  

@DarthMRN: one example would be that George wanted two Death Stars in ROTJ. I believe is was Marquand (though it might have been Kasdan, I would have to look it up) that said they should drop the second Death Star and just have one. George also had the Death Stars not working so there would be a time clock on the events (a rush for the heroes to defeat the badguys) but Marquand said they should drop that and have the Death Star fully functional.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Episode VII release date announced

December 18th, 2015. Interesting to see them veer away from the Wednesday before Memorial Day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 21 of 33