Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched The People Vs. George Lucas on netflicks. Pretty funny stuff about people hating on the man. But really, us SW fans sure are a bunch of big babies.

The whole "George Lucas ruined my childhood!" thing... if watching a crappy movie is the worst thing that ever happened to you, it's not even first world problems, it's just insanity.

oh yeah, it contains a lot of foul language. It doesn't bother me, but I don't really think it's appropriate to make an R rated movie about star wars.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I got to see The Thing in theatres last night and it was a great time. The practical special effects in that one are incredible, I'd been wanting this one to show up for awhile and I finally got to see it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Watched The People Vs. George Lucas on netflicks. Pretty funny stuff about people hating on the man. But really, us SW fans sure are a bunch of big babies.

The whole "George Lucas ruined my childhood!" thing... if watching a crappy movie is the worst thing that ever happened to you, it's not even first world problems, it's just insanity.

oh yeah, it contains a lot of foul language. It doesn't bother me, but I don't really think it's appropriate to make an R rated movie about star wars.

Yeah that documentary was hilarious. Those people and Red Letter Media have some of the biggest cases of rose-colored glasses I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I recently watched Red Letter Media's review for TPM and it really annoyed me (more than the Prequels ever did!). Most of Red Letter's gripes could be easily explained, were also present in the OT, weren't really problems at all, were minuscule problems etc. (The same can be said about CinemaSins btw... so stupid Rolling Eyes) If you put the OT under that level of scrutiny, they wouldn't hold up either. What film would?

I've went through three stages of opinion concerning the Prequels. When I first watched the Saga in its entirety when I was 12, I loved all six movies. When I became a teenager, I (of course) became an OT purist and pretty much disowned the prequels. Now I defend the prequels at least somewhat. I still think the OT is far superior to the PT, but come on the Prequels weren't that bad. There are parts that really, really annoy me, but there are also parts I like. They certainly aren't the abomination that so many think they are.

I have a feeling that every future Star Wars movie will be blasted by a major percentage of the fanbase, simply because they are impossible to please. If they went to see the original Star Wars in 1977, I bet they would hate it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched Monsters University with my parents tonight and enjoyed it. I was almost howling with laughter near the end when Dean Hardscrabble runs for cover after hearing the screams on the other side of the door.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yesterday night my wife and I watched Now You See Me. Really fun, and really intriguing.

The ending genuinely surprised me. It's been a long time since a movie took me by surprise as thoroughly as it did. That makes me happy.

Also: Thor: The Dark World is in theatres this Friday. I bought my tickets yesterday. THOR!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Of course you didn't see it coming, that would have required it to make any kind of sense within the plot of the movie and have a basis in what came before instead of being randomly thrown out there and offered as a retroactive explanation.

There are multiple scenes where the guy says statements that are flat out lies to other character which in no way serve his purpose, but they misdirect the audience. For instance the entire plot about the spy. Why would the real spy accuse a person of being the spy when they both knew that that person was not the spy? It would make sense if he told someone else that to draw suspicion away from himself and onto them, but he doesn't tell anyone else. It makes no sense to tell that person he's suspicious of them other than to make the audience think they are suspicious.

I could go on. Just try to think about it. It's a great twist because it comes out of nowhere, but going back and trying to use that knowledge to explain the rest of the movie does not work, so it's ruined afterwards.

It also drains away any dramatic tension from the movie when you realize that there was never any threat to stopping him from getting what he wants. It's just a guy getting what he wants, only you don't find out what he wants until the end.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^Maybe. But I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the surprise. Even if it didn't make much/any sense looking back, it took advantage of the concepts of misdirection and "don't look too close" and all that jazz.

The movie kept me guessing the entire time, too. So even if the final answer was strange, the tension built and maintained throughout was great.

I liked it, but to each their own.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
The same can be said about CinemaSins btw... so stupid Rolling Eyes

I have a real hatred of CinemaSins - half the stuff they point out are production errors, and almost nothing rises to the level of "sin."

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Don't get me started on them...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
The same can be said about CinemaSins btw... so stupid Rolling Eyes

I have a real hatred of CinemaSins - half the stuff they point out are production errors, and almost nothing rises to the level of "sin."

Production errors make nice easter eggs. Nothing sinful about that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I bought my tickets for Thor: The Dark World!

Got the seats where you can put your feet up on the metal bar (in front of which is the spot for wheelchairs.)

I swear, I would pay the premium for picking your own seat any day. Why we haven't been able to do that for years, I will never know. I'm told that a lot of theatres outside of North America let you pick your seats in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I watched Iron Man 3 again.

I still don't like it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I watched Iron Man 3 again.

I still don't like it.

Yeah I tried a second time as well, still found it tedious and annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Earlier this week I watched last year's remake of Red Dawn. Lots of fun! Mindless action at its best.

And then yesterday I watched Dredd. The story wasn't great, and the violence was a bit too graphic for my taste (I'd rather the characters tell me someone got their eyes gouged or got skinned, and then have other characters react to it, rather than directly see it all). But I thought it was cool. Glad I didn't see it in theatres though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 164 of 186