Comics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good to know the new Sandman is er, good. I didn't like most of the spin offs because they were all about the Endless. The most interesting thing about the original series comic is that most of the time it wasn't about the title character.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Good to know the new Sandman is er, good. I didn't like most of the spin offs because they were all about the Endless. The most interesting thing about the original series comic is that most of the time it wasn't about the title character.

It spent a about 80% of it on him but chose to bring others into the mix to share the focus, but this new series is all about Dream. The Corinthian has made an appearance as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote  

I read some of the Before Watchmen comics last night while waiting for Walking Dead to come on. Tried some Ozymandias, Rorschach, and Skullkickers. Can't say I really enjoyed any of them. The Ozymandias ones were fairly boring and the writer didn't do a lot to truly expand on the character or accomplish anything worthwhile with the story. It was like getting scraps of backstory filler. I didn't care too much for the artwork either. Felt like a blond version of Superman or Teen Titans Aquaman. Perhaps the worst part was that Ozymandias seemed stronger than he was smart.

The art and dialog on the Rorschach one was disappointing. Skullkickers wasn't even a Watchmen story, but a bunch of mini-stories for other stuff (a dwarf and barbarian, some cowboy, an elf assassin, and an alien).

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I heard the Comedian and Minutemen ones were good (from reviews). I didn't read any of them.

I just finished Marvel's Battle of the Atom event. The four main X-Men titles (All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Wolverine & the X-Men) crossed over to tell a cool time-travel story. X-Men from the past came to the present (main plotline of All-New X-Men), and in the event X-Men from the future come back to the present to warn of bad things (a la Days of Future Past), and to send the past X-Men back to their time.

The art design of the older characters was really cool, with old Deadpool, Jean Grey as a female Xorn, old Beast, Ice-Hulk and Ice-Wizard, Colossus with a wicked handlebar mustache, etc. The story was cool, if somewhat convoluted. I'm hoping it'll be more clear when I read all ten chapters in one go, instead of spread out (I usually re-read my comics in whole arcs before they go in long-boxes).

The only big problem was the end. Marvel has a tendency of putting too little effort in closing threads and too much effort at setting up new ones. The last event, Age of Ultron, was terrible for that (they interspersed the covers of the books they were setting up through the last issue).

But yea, I enjoyed the story, and look forward to some of the outcomes (like an All-New X-Men/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover, where teenage Jean Grey is put on trial for the deaths that she will commit as an adult as the Dark Phoenix (our past, her future).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote  

I still haven't gotten into Marvel yet.

I've been following along with DC Comic's Forever Evil series mostly. I've read the first two issues of the main line, I read Ostrander's Villain's Month issue of The Cheetah, Arkham War #1 and The Rogues Rebellion #1 (they're all a part of the Forever Evil event).

It's different. The badguys from Earth 3 (I think) come to Earth and kill off all (or most) of the Justice League so now the badguys rule the world. I haven't read a lot of DC Comics so I'm not very familiar with all the superheroes and villains, but I like the generally concept and Lex Luthor has a pretty cool role in it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Overall between the big 2, I think Marvel is putting out a stronger line up. Outside of the Bat family I haven't dug too deeply into DC, none of it really excites me. However, Marvel has some great books like Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Captain Marvel.

I was reading Uncanny Avengers for a while, but it lost me. Uncanny Xmen has been good, especially if you read Avengers vs. Xmen. About the only Marvel thing I can't get behind is Superior Spider-Man, this thing needs to go away and never be spoke of again. I miss Pete.

Outside of the Big 2, Fatale and Saga are simply amazing. TMNT is really great.

There really is no shortage of great books out there to read, even if you're not a fan of the capes and tights.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Marvel has a stronger overall, but DC has titles that are better (plus they have Vertigo). If you want more DC than Batman read Swamp Thing and Animal Man, phenomenal series.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote  

Read some more Before Watchmen comics. The Nite Owl one caught my interest and Minutemen is really good. I definitely recommend checking that one out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Read some more Before Watchmen comics. The Nite Owl one caught my interest and Minutemen is really good. I definitely recommend checking that one out.

I wasn't a fan of Nite Owl, but Minutemen is amazing from beginning to end and easily the best of the 'Before Watchmen' experiment (that fizzled out and didn't even finish). The other one I really enjoyed was Silk Spectre.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote  

I read the new annual for Injustice: Gods Among Us. It was pretty good. Lobo shows up to take out Superman and gets talked into going after Harley Quinn instead. Very funny. Worth checking out, even if you don't follow the series. It's a good standalone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote  

TFAW.com is running their annual Black Friday sale next week, it's a good time to pick up comics as they usually have some really good deals on the nick and dent issues with the additional discounts they toss on. So, does anyone have any comics that came out this year that they highly recommend?

My personal recommendations would be Axe Cop volumes 1-3 (very funny, but on Volume 2 is in color), Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin, Ewoks: Shadows of Endor, Transformers Monstrosity and Autocracy (both are really good storywise and artwise, excellent storyline for Megatron), and Injustice: Gods Among Us is worth checking out. Issue #1 was really good, it's a little weak toward the middle of the series, but it picks up toward the end, and the Annual was really cool.

Link: http://www.tfaw.com/Promos/Black-Friday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

For the next couple of days, there are pretty good sales at Comixology, if you want to try digital comics. The first arcs from Marvel NOW are 99 cents per issue, and a lot of DC graphic novels are $5.99.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote  

Read Rogues Rebellion #3 last night. I'm really liking this series. It features the villains from the Flash, and in this issue, they're facing off against the Batman villains. It's got fun artwork and a good writer. Worth checking out.

I also checked out the arc for The Star Wars #0. Very heavy on art, not a ton of info. It's not really guide but more of a neat bonus issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 5 of 5