Death Star Owners' Workshop Manual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death Star Owners' Workshop Manual
 PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote  

While Lucasbook has not officially announced this title yet, details have leaked via edelweiss and there have been some sly comments from those involved in the project.

First off, the book will be created by the same team who did the Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual: Ryder Windham, Chris Trevs and Chris Reiff. It has a tentative release date of November 2013, and there appears to be promotions scheduled for San Diego Comic Con.

Here's the blurb:
Quote:
Using brand-new, full-color cutaways providing a unique view inside the moon-sized marvel, together with other art and photographs, The Death Star Owner’s Workshop Manual provides the most thorough technical description of the Death Star available, making it essential reading for all Star Wars fans.

The Death Star is a spherical space station, the size of a small moon, highly armored and armed to destroy anything from enemy spaceships to whole planets. Using cutaway drawings, exploded diagrams, and photographs, backed by detailed technical specifications and descriptions of the onboard systems, The Death Star Owner’s Workshop Manual reveals the technology contained within and lays bare the awesome power (and weaknesses) of the Empire’s ultimate weapon.

Big thanks to Cerrinea for spotting this. More details via Roqoo Depot.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote  

Death Star Owner's Technical Manual comes out November 5 in hardcover. Random House has a preview here. Anyone plan on picking this one up?

Synopsis:
Quote:
Conceived as the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the Death Star battle station is equipped with a planet-shattering superlaser. The station is heavily shielded, defended by TIE starfighters and laser cannons, and invested with firepower greater than that of half the Imperial fleet. The Empire’s diabolical leaders have every reason to believe that their technological terror will induce fear across the galaxy. But the Death Star has one flaw.

This Haynes Manual traces the origins of the Death Star, from concept to a top-secret project that begins before the foundation of the Empire, which draws design inspiration from the Trade Federation’s spherical warships. In this manual, the Death Star’s onboard systems and controls are explained in detail, and are illustrated with an astonishing range of computer-generated artwork, floor plans, cutaways, and exploded diagrams, all newly created by artists Chris Reiff and Chris Trevas—the same creative team behind the Millennium Falcon Owner’s Workshop Manual. Text is by their Falcon colleague Ryder Windham, author of more than fifty Star Wars books.

Covering history, development and prototyping, superstructure, energy and propulsion, weapons and defensive systems, hangar bays, security, service and technical sectors, crew facilities, and with information about the Death Star II and its planetary shield generator, this is the most thorough technical guide to the Death Star available.

This Haynes Manual is fully authorized and approved by Lucasfilm.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really want to check this bad boy out, but I don't know if I neeeeeeed to run out and buy it....... Someone let me know!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote  

Well, I've read it. It's on par with the Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual, so if you looked at that one, you'll know what to expect. I personally liked the Falcon manual more, but that's because the Falcon just has more personality when it comes to ships, thus was a more fun read. But this book has a lot of info on Death Star.

Be sure to check out the preview Random House has on their website. That'll give you an idea what the book is like, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Having just finally bought and read the Millennium Falcon one I will definitely be picking this one up to go with it.

I'd love to see ones for the X-wing, and TIE series. Or something like the Star Destroyers and Mon-Cal Cruisers.

What did concern me a little about the Falcon one is that while it referenced a lot of EU material, it didn't mention anything after EP VI that I could see. Worries me about the future of the EU with the upcoming EP VII.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I had a look at a copy at Chapters. It looks pretty cool. One interesting thing is that it retconned the size of the Death Star II (previous official sources said 900km, but this supports the other, more reasonable size of 160km).

But yeah, it looks like it has some cool info in it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote  

Hmm, I didn't check the size of the second Death Star. I'll have to go back and look at that. I know they drew off of a lot of existing books for all the info.

It's worth noting that the Death Star book is like the Falcon in that neither one of them go past ROTJ. I actually spoke to Ryder Windham and he said part of that is past ROTJ, they don't have photo stills for the events, so they decided to just go up to ROTJ and stop there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Hmm, I didn't check the size of the second Death Star. I'll have to go back and look at that. I know they drew off of a lot of existing books for all the info.

It's worth noting that the Death Star book is like the Falcon in that neither one of them go past ROTJ. I actually spoke to Ryder Windham and he said part of that is past ROTJ, they don't have photo stills for the events, so they decided to just go up to ROTJ and stop there.

Good to have an explanation of the reasons for that, I was certainly wondering about it.

That said, its kinda a silly reason. Technical drawings, or text would also work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote  

Book is out today. You can check out my interview with Ryder Windham here: http://roqoodepot.com/interviews/death-star-owners-technical-manual-interview-with-ryder-windham/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think it's a little bit weird that I can just pop down to the shop to get what so many Bothans died for.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
I think it's a little bit weird that I can just pop down to the shop to get what so many Bothans died for.

Laughing

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote  

Bah, I think the Bothans overhyped their sacrifices for a plan that was leaked so they could end up in a trap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote  

Ryder did a nice write up on the Star Wars Blog

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/11/05/the-death-star-plans-are-now-in-your-hands/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Ryder did a nice write up on the Star Wars Blog

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/11/05/the-death-star-plans-are-now-in-your-hands/

They may be in my hands, but they are NOT in the main computer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Was flipping through this in the bookstore. Interestingly they do refer to events in the JAT when discussing the Death Star Prototype in the Maw, albeit briefly. But yay for post-ROTJ EU inclusion!!

Also, something that caught my eye as an odd decision. They describe the Tarkin, the Torpedo Spheres, The Eye of Palpatine in the book, but exclude the Eclipse and the Darksaber, which to me would appear to be logical extensions with an equal lack of "movie-real" images. Odd choice there IMHO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2