What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I picked up Kelly Sue DeConnick's "Pretty Deadly" #1 yesterday. She's one of my favourite authors right now (doing an amazing job on Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble).

It's not my usual fare, and because it's only the first issue I don't know enough about the characters to make a great judgment, but it has my attention.

It's a western/fantasy/fairy tale, ostensibly about the daughter of Death (though only her legend was featured in the first issue).

I enjoyed it enough to try the first arc.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life, it was a few of the sex scenes that made me uncomfortable. Specifically, a scene in Winter King (I think) where King Gundelas of Silura rapes Nimue and in Enemy of God where Arthur catches Guinevere and Lancelot. In Mists of Avalon the incest scene between an unknowing Arthur and Morgaine was a little disconcerting too. I'm not prudish, by any means (I've seen the films Elizabeth and Last King of Scotland), but there are still times when reading (or watching) stuff like that disconcerts me a little. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the books, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Reepicheep wrote:

I also have the Heaney version with the original Anglo-Saxon beside it. I'm actually doing a knight book marathon right now. I'm attempting to read all the major fictional knight stories that I can get my hands on in chronological order from The Song of Roland to modern stories. I'll probably read The Song of Roland once I'm finished with Beowulf.

That sounds like quite a read!

Quote:
Btw is Derfel based on an existing Arthurian character or is he new?

Yes, Saint Derfel was a legendary Welsh monk who supposedly fought with Arthur. Although I suppose he could be thought of as new, since this is the first time I recall seeing him in an Arthurian story.

Quote:
@Taral: By Jove, it does! It looks like I'll be reading "The Warlord Chronicles" sooner than expected. I'll fit it into the reading plan I was talking about above.

Success!

Quote:
Life, it was a few of the sex scenes that made me uncomfortable. Specifically, a scene in Winter King (I think) where King Gundelas of Silura rapes Nimue and in Enemy of God where Arthur catches Guinevere and Lancelot. In Mists of Avalon the incest scene between an unknowing Arthur and Morgaine was a little disconcerting too. I'm not prudish, by any means (I've seen the films Elizabeth and Last King of Scotland), but there are still times when reading (or watching) stuff like that disconcerts me a little. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the books, though.

I can understand how you'd be made uncomfortable by them - although, despite a lot of discomfort I get from rape scenes, I'm glad that Cornwell did include them. That's partially why I like Cornwell, he tells the story unflinchingly, though not unfeelingly.

Also, I thought Mists of Avalon was a particular part of the WC books! I've not read/watched that series.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

When I was in high school, we read a book called "La Quête d'Alexandre" (Alexander's Quest). We read it almost exclusively because it was a book written by a French-Ontarian writer (and I went to a French-Ontarian school). The book has a scene in it of spousal rape, that goes into a fair amount of detail. It was a rough read when we were fifteen.

Fast-forward to now. My best friend is a teacher in the same school board we went to, and she teaches that book. She uses that scene as a metric to see who read the book. She assigns that chapter to read at home, and asks the kids what they thought of it. The ones who read it WILL have thoughts on it.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote  

I'm reading The Man Who Never Missed by Steve Perry (author of Shadows of the Empire). Kind of neat so far. It's a sci-fi story about a young man and his evolution into becoming a revolutionary.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

I also have the Heaney version with the original Anglo-Saxon beside it. I'm actually doing a knight book marathon right now. I'm attempting to read all the major fictional knight stories that I can get my hands on in chronological order from The Song of Roland to modern stories. I'll probably read The Song of Roland once I'm finished with Beowulf.

That sounds like quite a read!

Indeed. I'll be taking my sweet time and I'll be taking plenty of breaks, I'm sure. Here's my list:

The Song of Roland
Cantar de Mio Cid
Song of the Nibelungs
History of the Kings of Britain
The Life of King Arthur
aka Roman de Brut
Chretien de Troyes' Arthur stories
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Le Morte D'arthur
The Faerie Queene
Don Quixote
Ivanhoe
The Idylls of the King
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

(I might fit in Howard Pyle's Arthur stories here; I've only read the first one but really enjoyed it; I'll see if I can track down the rest)
"The Chronicles of Narnia"
LOTR (I might fit in The Hobbit and The Silmarillion as well)
(I'll admit Narnia and LOTR aren't technically "knight stories"... except maybe Prince Caspian, but close enough. I'll take an excuse to re-read them Razz )
"The Warlord Chronicles"
"Protector of the Small"
"Game of Thrones"

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Last Lion: Alone and Star Trek - Deep Space Nine: Unity.

The first time I checked Unity out from the library, I wasn't aware of the DS9 relaunch. After I started reading it and got to the point where it was mentioned that a recurring character from the TV series was killed off, I was going Surprised . What really floored me, though, was the crisis in Unity tying back into the Starfleet "Conspiracy" in the second to last episode of The Next Generation's Season One. Every time I watched that episode I was always left with unanswered questions ... until I read Unity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I started reading the first Mortal Instruments book. I gave up three chapters in.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I started reading the first Mortal Instruments book. I gave up three chapters in.

LOL why's that? Was it Twi–tastic?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
The Last Lion: Alone and Star Trek - Deep Space Nine: Unity.

The first time I checked Unity out from the library, I wasn't aware of the DS9 relaunch. After I started reading it and got to the point where it was mentioned that a recurring character from the TV series was killed off, I was going Surprised . What really floored me, though, was the crisis in Unity tying back into the Starfleet "Conspiracy" in the second to last episode of The Next Generation's Season One. Every time I watched that episode I was always left with unanswered questions ... until I read Unity.

I read up to (but not including) Unity when I read the relaunch. I thought the relaunch was a cool premise.

They set up that Conspiracy link really well, both in the previous Relaunch books and in the short-story collection "The Lives of Dax".

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reading The Song of Roland and loving it. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Reading The Song of Roland and loving it. Cool

I read that for class the year before last - a very enjoyable story.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished The Winter King. Going to jump straight into the next one, Enemy Of God, rather than do my usual thing, because I have a few books I want to get into as soon as possible.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

LOL why's that? Was it Twi–tastic?

It was so bad, man. The writing was almost Meyer levels of awful, the characters flat, and the plot ridiculous.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Dune Messiah this weekend. Before reading Children of Dune, I'm going to read Catching Fire (before the movie).

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 98 of 113