The Best Thing About Star Wars Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106, 107  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi gets my vote. He was the best part of the prequel trilogy and an on-tho-go advisor. Darn, I wish I had one of those...

I'm sorry Han, you may have been the best pilot of your time and the last hope for us Forceless people here on earth but no one kicks your but harder than Obi-Wan Kenobi!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Caedus_16 wrote:
1. Epic picture choice

2. Solo. Nothing embodies the galaxy at large like he does. He has been rich as you can be and dirt poor, he is Joker-like in his lack of defined past, and he can hold his own with his Jedi family against anything. He has laughed in the face of powerful gangsters, been frozen and came back, and if we go all EU about it (and in the end isn't that what we're about?) he has taken on the craziest of the crazy. He'd have gone toe to toe with Onimi himself (and came closer than anyone but Jacen) and he had it in him to attempt to save Nom Anor (which is a very big deal for the one non-Jedi in the room at the time it happened). Solo is a noir anti-hero, a leader, and a beast in all aspects. Solo wins, hands down, he's much more interesting than the stoic Kenobi.

That is a brilliant defence of Han Solo, and could turn even the most ardent Obi Wan supporters. Unfortunately, I like stoicism Razz .

Kenobi.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote  

Han Solo. As cool as Obi-Wan is, Han added a lot more to the films.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Coruscant looking at the Jedi Temple in the distance...

Life Is The Path wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
1. Epic picture choice

2. Solo. Nothing embodies the galaxy at large like he does. He has been rich as you can be and dirt poor, he is Joker-like in his lack of defined past, and he can hold his own with his Jedi family against anything. He has laughed in the face of powerful gangsters, been frozen and came back, and if we go all EU about it (and in the end isn't that what we're about?) he has taken on the craziest of the crazy. He'd have gone toe to toe with Onimi himself (and came closer than anyone but Jacen) and he had it in him to attempt to save Nom Anor (which is a very big deal for the one non-Jedi in the room at the time it happened). Solo is a noir anti-hero, a leader, and a beast in all aspects. Solo wins, hands down, he's much more interesting than the stoic Kenobi.

That is a brilliant defence of Han Solo, and could turn even the most ardent Obi Wan supporters. Unfortunately, I like stoicism Razz .

Kenobi.

As brilliant as Han's defense is Wink ... it ain't turning me from my NUMBER ONE hero of all times, all galaxies, and the whole universe!

OBI-WAN KENOBI is THE BEST THING ABOUT STAR WARS!

Not mentioning his Amazing Force Powers and the fact that he can kick butt ... Laughing

Obi-Wan embodies Honor, Power, Kindness, Generosity, Persistence, Humility, Patience, and on... and on...! The Strength of his character, his experiences and prowess, his devotion and his sacrifices, makes him THE CHOSEN ONE for me!

OBI-WAN KENOBI!

P.S., That's why I have always asked for HIS HELP Wink Laughing Wink Laughing

HELP ME Obi-Wan ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shahla 'lala wrote:
Obi-Wan embodies Honor, Power, Kindness, Generosity, Persistence, Humility, Patience, and on... and on...! The Strength of his character, his experiences and prowess, his devotion and his sacrifices, makes him THE CHOSEN ONE for me! [/size]

That's exactly it. Obi-Wan is a classy, old-fashioned hero and we don't get heroes like him very often these days. I'm actually getting pretty sick of antiheroes, dark heroes, accidental heroes etc. Everything has to be dark and morally ambiguous and, while I like that to a point, we seem to think that darker = better and I don't think that's the case at all. I mean I'm not a Superman fan but
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
This fatigue with dark "heroes" is why I'm having my chivalric book marathon mentioned in the book thread, it's why I'm voting against Solo in favour of Kenobi, and it's why I will regain my faith in humanity if Kenobi wins, as mentioned in the chatbox.

Shahla 'lala wrote:
P.S., That's why I have always asked for HIS HELP Wink Laughing Wink Laughing

Haha. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha Reep I admire your optimism. Too bad I just can't agree with it.

I find the straightforward hero boring, I can never see the motive passed "they're good" and little else. I just don't think I'm capable of seeing it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was hoping one of those two will win. I don't even care which one.

Since Kenobi is in the lead I pick Han, just to spice things up. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

I find the straightforward hero boring, I can never see the motive passed "they're good" and little else. I just don't think I'm capable of seeing it.

I'll agree that antiheroes and the like are more interesting. Like Aristotle said, "men are good in but one way, but bad in many". There's generally more variety among antiheroes. However, I still find the idea of the ideal hero, and the fact that we still aspire to be like him even though we're naturally the furthest thing from, endlessly interesting and inspiring. And, of course, in a story heroes like Kenobi still need to be flawed, but they aren't defined by their flaws. A lot of times they're someone to look up to rather than relate to. I can certainly appreciate both types of characters though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

I'll agree that antiheroes and the like are more interesting. Like Aristotle said, "men are good in but one way, but bad in many". There's generally more variety among antiheroes. However, I still find the idea of the ideal hero, and the fact that we still aspire to be like him even though we're naturally the furthest thing from, endlessly interesting and inspiring. And, of course, in a story heroes like Kenobi still need to be flawed, but they aren't defined by their flaws. A lot of times they're someone to look up to rather than relate to. I can certainly appreciate both types of characters though.

That was a well reasoned response. The little kid in me, however, continues to scream "NO! HAN ONLY!" lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow I can't believe we actually finished something we started! Laughing
My final vote has got to be

Kenobi

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

...And with that, it is over.

After nearly two years, after 105 pages EUCantina.net has decided what The Best Thing About Star Wars Ever is. This most prestigious award goes to...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Was the winner who you thought it would be? Was it who you would have picked? Personally, I would have picked Darth Vader as the Best Thing, but I also really like the winner and am happy he won. I also didn't see it coming. If you had asked me two years ago who I thought would win, I don't think he would have even made the Top 5 of expected choices, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Thank you all for playing and special thanks to Queen Padme Skywalker, Life Is The Path, and Caedus_16 for sticking with this game from the very beginning to the very end. You guys are more awesome than you realize. I had a lot of fun putting this together and I'm going to miss it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If we'll miss it lets do it for other franchises!

Also...grrrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote  

No special thanks for me?

Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
If we'll miss it lets do it for other franchises!

We should! Any ideas on what we could all agree on? The only thing with near-universal appeal I can think of off the top of my head would be Pixar movies.

@Skuldren: I was only looking at the first page to see who originally joined, but now that I look at the next couple pages, you joined up very soon after, so my bad. Special thanks to Darth Skuldren! Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hell there are lots that are not universally appealing but still fairly good.

1. Harry Potter
2. Zelda
3. Halo
4. Lord of the Rings
5. A Song of Ice and Fire (since it seems many of us have gotten into them)
6. Batman (super fond of this idea, just saying...)
7. Pokemon? Is anyone but me still into this?
8. Classic literature (super difficult and could get controversial)

There are probably tons more but those jumped to mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 105 of 107