Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Earlier this week I watched last year's remake of Red Dawn. Lots of fun! Mindless action at its best.

And then yesterday I watched Dredd. The story wasn't great, and the violence was a bit too graphic for my taste (I'd rather the characters tell me someone got their eyes gouged or got skinned, and then have other characters react to it, rather than directly see it all). But I thought it was cool. Glad I didn't see it in theatres though.

Lol I'm the exact opposite, I loved it in theatres. The 3D was gorgeous when I sprung for it on my 2nd viewing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote  

I really liked Dredd. I saw it on the "Megascreen". I had the whole theater to myself, too. I justed picked it up on DVD last week.

I went and saw Escape Plan the other day. I liked Arnold and Sly, and it did not disappoint. Very fun movie. Some fun action movie moments, classic corny one liners, and I thought Arnold and Sly did a good job with their roles. I liked how the prison they were in had a THX-1138 feel to it (especially with the faceless guards). Vinnie Jones played one of the guards, Sam Neil popped up as the doctor, and Vincent D'Onofrio was in it (small role, though). Nothing you'd have to see on the big screen, but I caught it at a matinee. My favorite part was when Arnold has a slow motion machine gun moment. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dredd is best. It is known.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Saw Thor: The Dark World last night. Really enjoyed it!

My only criticism is that they didn't spend enough time on Malekith, or any of the Asgardian side characters (like Sif and the Warriors Three). But the time they could've spent with them was instead devoted to some great scenes with Loki, and with the human scientists. So it all worked out.

I think I liked the first Thor better, but this one was really good.

Also, fyi: TWO post-credit scenes. WOOT!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

eew. too much loki.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Saw Thor: The Dark World last night. Really enjoyed it!

My only criticism is that they didn't spend enough time on Malekith, or any of the Asgardian side characters (like Sif and the Warriors Three). But the time they could've spent with them was instead devoted to some great scenes with Loki, and with the human scientists. So it all worked out.

I think I liked the first Thor better, but this one was really good.

Also, fyi: TWO post-credit scenes. WOOT!

What happened in the second one?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thor was ok. Like the first one there was nothing inherently wrong with it and I had fun watching it. I could have used more Malaketh, less Loki (seriously he's been a main villain twice now and I'm still hoping for him to get to chill about all that).

Overall decent film. I regret nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I watched Iron Man 3 again.

I still don't like it.

Yeah I tried a second time as well, still found it tedious and annoying.

I really tried to like it (mostly for Mara's sake, she loved it a lot), but man, it was so weird and it didn't work with the Iron Man world at all.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I watched Iron Man 3 again.

I still don't like it.

Yeah I tried a second time as well, still found it tedious and annoying.

I really tried to like it (mostly for Mara's sake, she loved it a lot), but man, it was so weird and it didn't work with the Iron Man world at all.

My issue was that they botched the Mandarin for a gimmicky twist. Marvel needs to be careful these days, they have only one ongoing villain and that's Loki (though to be honest I think Hiddleston is charismatic and wonderful).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I actually had no issue with the handling of the Mandarin (I wasn't attached to the comic arc), but the whole Extremis plot was ridiculous.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually had no issue with the handling of the Mandarin (I wasn't attached to the comic arc), but the whole Extremis plot was ridiculous.

That one was also from a comic arc and it was done decently but I found it stupid when I read it as well so.....

Honestly I'm more excited about the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy than anything else Iron Man related.

A Loki movie though, I'd take that. I'd take 3.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

During the Thor 2 scene with Stan lee I said, "Finally someone put him where he belongs." and during the end credits I said, "At least Jack Kirby gets a credit in ten point font."

On another inflammatory note: WTF is Guardians of the Galaxy and why are people excited about it? I've been reading comics since they were chiseled on stone slabs and I have never heard of this, and I've heard of The West Coast Avengers and the Canadian XMen aka. Alpha Flight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
During the Thor 2 scene with Stan lee I said, "Finally someone put him where he belongs." and during the end credits I said, "At least Jack Kirby gets a credit in ten point font."

On another inflammatory note: WTF is Guardians of the Galaxy and why are people excited about it? I've been reading comics since they were chiseled on stone slabs and I have never heard of this, and I've heard of The West Coast Avengers and the Canadian XMen aka. Alpha Flight.

Did you ever read Nova? They were connected to the Guardians for awhile. Guardians were a major thing when fighting Thanos. Rocket Raccoon? Groot? Any of it?

I actually have a feeling you'll enjoy this one due to its layered camp, its allusions to Desert Storm, and its status as a full on sci-fi story within a superhero mythology.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Guardians of the Galaxy is amazing. It got most popular after 2006-2007, when several authors (most notably Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning) brought the Cosmic Marvel line back to the forefront, starting with Annihilation (Annihilus invades the main universe, kills billions), and Annihilation: Conquest (Ultron and the Phalanx conquer the Kree). These stories brought back a number of space-based Marvel heroes, including Star-Lord, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Gamora, Quasar, Groot, and Adam Warlock (who became the Guardians of the Galaxy in the 2008 series), and Nova (who got his own series). They were involved in various conflicts in the larger cosmic universe, including against the Universal Church of Truth and were involved in the War of Kings (a conflict between the Inhuman-led Kree and the Shiar) and a conflict against Thanos and the Cancerverse. All in all, it was an amazing series.

There was also a 1960s Guardians of the Galaxy team, which were involved in various crossover events, including the Korvac Saga. In this version, aliens (the Badoon, I think) have taken over Earth, and this team of assorted alien heroes (including Yondu, who is in the new movie as well) is fighting to take it back. They take various heroes from the day to help them fight.

Life Is The Path wrote:

What happened in the second one?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched White House Down Friday night. Very good movie. I think I like it slightly better than Olympus Has Fallen. For all the similarities between the two, there's enough difference as well to make them both their own films.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 165 of 186