Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 181, 182, 183  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched three movies last weekend.

I Am Legend

I thought this movie was very forgettable. I never really connected with the character and it didn't grip me for whatever reason. It seemed like it wanted to be more than it actually was. Also the CG zombies looked horrible. I never felt threatened by them, because I never felt they were physically there. Fail for a zombie movie.

Skyfall

Probably my favourite Bond movie of the ones I've seen. Even though I've never been a huge fan of the Bond series (I always want to like it more than I do), the nostalgia still managed to hit me. The music, the reintroduction of Q, Moneypenny etc., the Aston Martin. Cool stuff. I also appreciated the background given to Bond's character. Craig is also by far my faourite Bond, because he's able to turn a character I've always struggled to like into a character I can actually care about for two hours. I thought it felt a bit long though.

Life of Pi

By far my favourite of the three. If you're Canadian Life of Pi is required reading and it was one of the better books I read for school. I was skeptical when I heard this was going to be a movie, because I thought they would need to completely re-imagine it (it is, after all, a story about a boy on a lifeboat with a tiger and... plot-wise that's about it), but to my surprise it was a straightforward adaptation and it worked surprisingly well. I was genuinely moved at parts. Wonderful film-making. Of the three movies I watched, this was the one that kept me on the edge of my seat (especially notable, since it was the only movie of the three that I knew the ending to), and while I more-or-less enjoyed all three, this is the only one that I feel the need to re-watch and/or buy.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Funny thing about I Am Legend, Reep, is that the novel was a distinctly new look at vampires and reversal of legendary tropes, it was fun. Then the film was an entertaining but unremarkable film.

I agree, of the new Bond reboot Skyfall is without a doubt the best.

Never saw Life of Pi but I would like to get to see it sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote  

I will watch Life of Pi if the tiger eats the guy in the boat Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Funny thing about I Am Legend, Reep, is that the novel was a distinctly new look at vampires and reversal of legendary tropes, it was fun. Then the film was an entertaining but unremarkable film.

I understood that the alternate ending was significantly better, and captured the original intent of the book. Why they went with the action-sequence ending instead I'm not sure.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

I understood that the alternate ending was significantly better, and captured the original intent of the book. Why they went with the action-sequence ending instead I'm not sure.

The alternate ending does better, but its still a highly action oriented ending. If they combined them they might finally nail the spirit of the original but not the tone or the point itself so they still kind of failed.

And its Hollywood, if they can work in an action ending they pretty much always go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I Am Legend has already been done 3 other times: The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man and I Am Omega. I personally like The Omega Man the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I Am Legend has already been done 3 other times: The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man and I Am Omega. I personally like The Omega Man the best.

You and I share the same opinion on that, though my fondness for Vincent Price definitely puts LMoE as a close second.

I didn't have the newest adaptation but it was still disappointing compared to the source material, they all were.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, it was direct to dvd so I think that tells you what you need to know about the quality Wink

I'm not sure I've seen LMoE, but I may have since I've seen a lot of Vincent Price movies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lol well I meant the Will Smith film, but yeah I saw the other one and it was ridiculously fun like most of the Asylum films (I think its an Asylum film).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

And we already talked about all of the movies in this thread too.

Price and Smith were perhaps closer to the novel's character, but Heston worked best for me. He may not have been believable as a scientist but you could believe that he dared those damn dirty mutants to pry his gun from his cold dead hand!
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know I will get crucified for saying this but I actually liked the Will Smith I Am Legend better than The Omega Man. The zompires from the latter looked like something out of a Michael Jackson music video and I couldn't really connect to Heston's character the way I could Smith's. I do like how they explored the survivor colony a bit more in Omega Man, though, and I thought the ending was better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's a comment I made elsewhere about why 3D is a cheap gimmick:

People who criticize 3D are often seen as going against innovation and calling it a gimmick is akin to people who want movie to return to the silent film era.

Unlike 3D, the invention of sound tracks and color film in movies actually added something to movies that was not there before. 3d does add an "extra dimension" to the film, but it is not utilized for anything other than making an object in the foreground appear to stand out from the background. In reality the movie is not actually in "3d" since it's being projected onto a flat 2d background and the perception of depth is just an optical illusion, a technique that was first utilized in art hundreds of years before the existence of motion pictures.

3d could actually be used in an inventive way by projecting onto screens that are not flat, or by showing two different images layered on top of each other, but it doesn't do any of these things. It just takes an actor filmed against a fake CGI background and separates them which only serves to make it even more noticeable that the background and the objects the character interacts with are not real.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I could argue against your statement by pointing out that it has been used to round objects, create an immersive environment. Currently I'd put the rerelease of TPM and (though I hated it) Avatar as examples, they were stunning visually.

Still waiting for a movie that is amazing as well as excellent in its utilization of 3D tech, but it can add to the idea that you're in the film easily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't even know that I Am Legend was based on a book or that three other adaptations had been made of it. Embarassed

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I didn't even know that I Am Legend was based on a book or that three other adaptations had been made of it. Embarassed

What? You didn't read the other 165 pages in this thread either? Well, our bad, Reep Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 166 of 183