What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Still plugging through The Last Lion: Alone and started The Queen's Secret: Catherine of Valois, Mother of the Tudor Dynasty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've started re-reading Catching Fire in time for the movie.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to wait to re-read Catching Fire until after I see the movie - if I read a book before seeing the movie, I get way too critical about the adaptation and don't enjoy the movie as much.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote  

I plan on seeing the movie, but I have no desire of re-reading the books. I still get shivers thinking about how much I disliked book 3.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@GrandMaster: I re-read the first book right before seeing the first movie and it held up just fine. I am first and foremost a book fan, so I always re-read books before going to see adaptations.

@Darth Skuldren: Mockingjay is still my favourite. Razz

I'm sad that Gary Ross didn't come back as director and I have a feeling that I won't like the next two movies as much as the first because of it... but, hey, we'll see.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm sad that Gary Ross didn't come back as director and I have a feeling that I won't like the next two movies as much as the first because of it... but, hey, we'll see.

Early reviews are saying it's better than Hunger Games. I was a bit alarmed when I think it was the director stated they "manned up" Peta for the movie. Wow, way to miss the whole point of Peta.

But I'll withhold judgement until I see the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
@GrandMaster: I re-read the first book right before seeing the first movie and it held up just fine. I am first and foremost a book fan, so I always re-read books before going to see adaptations.

It's more for other people's sanity than my own benefit - I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire right before the movie can out and annoyed my parents the whole way home.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Early reviews are saying it's better than Hunger Games. I was a bit alarmed when I think it was the director stated they "manned up" Peta for the movie. Wow, way to miss the whole point of Peta.

Indeed. I don't like the sound of that. Confused

The way it's marketed looks like it will be more Hollywood than the first one (I really liked the indie feel of the first one, very unique for a franchise movie). The love triangle looks ramped up (it was wisely kept in the background by Ross) and while the violence hasn't been shown, Francis Lawrence says he won't be using shaky cam (some didn't like the shaky cam but I liked it and thought it was completely appropriate) and I hope that doesn't mean traditional action scenes (scenes to make you go "ooh" and "aah"). There are other ways of "uglifying" (thank you, Dufflepuds, for that wonderful word!) the action scenes, but... still. Withholding judgment though.

@GrandMaster: Makes sense. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly. Wow.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone else taken the Read It First oath?
http://www.readit1st.com/

They don't publish the newsletter they advertise anymore, but it's still fun.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote  

Never heard of the Read It First Oath. I don't think that's a good idea either. I read Princess of Mars before I watched John Carter and I hated the movie. Had it done it in reverse order, I would have liked both. I generally get more out of it when I see the movie first then read the book, since the book is generally better. If it do it the other way around, I just become disappointed in the movie.

Currently I'm reading the third book in Steve Perry's Matador series: The Machiavelli Interface.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I usually read the book first, because I find it easier to separate book from movie that way. I can make up my own version of the characters, settings etc. and get a good feel for the themes before the movie taints it. I'm also just a bigger fan of books than movies.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Never heard of the Read It First Oath. I don't think that's a good idea either. I read Princess of Mars before I watched John Carter and I hated the movie. Had it done it in reverse order, I would have liked both. I generally get more out of it when I see the movie first then read the book, since the book is generally better. If it do it the other way around, I just become disappointed in the movie.

Currently I'm reading the third book in Steve Perry's Matador series: The Machiavelli Interface.

I disagree with your premise that you would've liked John Carter if you saw it before reading the book. It was bad.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never read John Carter of Mars, but I thought the movie was fun. Not everything has to be The Greatest Film Ever Made to be fun to watch.

I also prefer to see the movie first then read the book. If I read the book first, I'm almost always disappointed by the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

The only reason I disliked John Carter is because they didn't follow the characterizations in the book. I'm generally pretty easy to please when I watch movies, so I think I would have enjoyed it if I didn't have any pre-existing expectations (I REALLY liked the book).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 99 of 113