JFK: 50 Years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFK: 50 Years
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today marks the 50th anniversary of John Kennedy's death.

I will probably watch as much of the coverage as I can, and perhaps, watch Oliver Stone's [b]JFK[/b] for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Incidentally, November 22, 1963 is the same day C. S. Lewis died. Aldous Huxley, as well.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Incidentally, November 22, 1963 is the same day C. S. Lewis died. Aldous Huxley, as well.

Look up the book Between Heaven and Hell which is about all 3 of them meeting in the afterlife.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On Wednesday I was walking through a hotel lobby (picking up a friend for dinner), and a nearby TV had CNN on it (on mute). I was interested to see that it had some kind of "today we remember" or whatever logo on it, and people were clearly talking about a day of remembrance or day of mourning or whatever, but it was hard to see what it was about.

My first thought was "CNN is talking about the Transgender Day of Remembrance?" That day was the day we think of the people who lost their lives, either to suicide or hate crimes, for being trans. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/11/20/today-is-the-transgender-day-of-remembrance

So I was surprised when they showed pictures of JFK on the screen.

They I remembered my history and realized the year JFK died in, and it made a bit more sense.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I stayed the night Thursday and Friday with Dad's parents since it was Mom and Dad's anniversary weekend. (Their anniversary was actually Wednesday the 20th.) Papaw, my uncle, and I were all in the dining room about 1:15 eating lunch. The TV was on the History channel, and they were airing the documentary JFK: 3 Shots That Changed America. Papaw started telling me a little of what he remembered from that weekend (he was 24 at the time.) He said he thinks that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, but added, "If anyone wanted JFK dead, it would have been the Mafia."

I watched a little bit of 3STCA off and on (didn't want to watch the entire doc; it was 4 hours long and I'd already missed part of it.) The footage of Kennedy's casket being unloaded from Air Force One at AAFB and Oswald's murder by Jack Ruby was almost unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I remember the assassination very well, and it was awful. Things were so different then that idk if a presidential assassination would have quite the same impact. We really were a much more trusting and naive society back then. The assassination changed all of that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1