Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 173, 174, 175  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I didn't even know that I Am Legend was based on a book or that three other adaptations had been made of it. Embarassed

Read it! Its by Matheson and he's just fantastic.

And Cerrinea and DPW are right, we discussed this to death through like 4 pages a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I probably wasn't paying much attention to the I Am Legend discussion since I hadn't seen the movie(s).

I might check out the book sometime though...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I might check out the book sometime though...

Its a fantastic book. The story in question is a novella, but its also a book of short stories on top of that so I think its worth trying out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you're not familiar with Richard Matheson, he wrote most of the good episodes of the Twilight Zone.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Here's a comment I made elsewhere about why 3D is a cheap gimmick:

People who criticize 3D are often seen as going against innovation and calling it a gimmick is akin to people who want movie to return to the silent film era.

Unlike 3D, the invention of sound tracks and color film in movies actually added something to movies that was not there before. 3d does add an "extra dimension" to the film, but it is not utilized for anything other than making an object in the foreground appear to stand out from the background. In reality the movie is not actually in "3d" since it's being projected onto a flat 2d background and the perception of depth is just an optical illusion, a technique that was first utilized in art hundreds of years before the existence of motion pictures.

3d could actually be used in an inventive way by projecting onto screens that are not flat, or by showing two different images layered on top of each other, but it doesn't do any of these things. It just takes an actor filmed against a fake CGI background and separates them which only serves to make it even more noticeable that the background and the objects the character interacts with are not real.

I like 3D, though I'll admit that in the vast majority of cases, it does little more than make the movie pretty (or, prettier). Like when I saw TPM, I thought the 3D made it look great, and added a degree of realism to some elements (like windows and holograms, which I discussed on this thread long ago when TPM 3D came out).

Others, like Jurassic Park, got absolutely nothing from 3D. I barely noticed the 3D in that, but I was just happy to see Jurassic Park on the big screen (I was too young when it came out originally).

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum was Tron: Legacy, which used 3D as part of the story (just like in The Wizard of Oz, how colour was important to the storytelling process). That 3D was amazing, and added something concrete to the experience.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
If you're not familiar with Richard Matheson, he wrote most of the good episodes of the Twilight Zone.

That's actually an incredible way to introduce him, he's grand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I saw Thor: The Dark World yesterday. I loved it. While the plot was a little muddy and the villain underdeveloped, it was an all around fun film. I see that some of you thought it was too Loki-heavy, and I expected to agree, since I saw absolutely no reason for him to be the fab favorite that he is. But, shockingly enough, I thought he was the best dang part of the whole movie. Who knew.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I saw Thor: The Dark World yesterday. I loved it. While the plot was a little muddy and the villain underdeveloped, it was an all around fun film. I see that some of you thought it was too Loki-heavy, and I expected to agree, since I saw absolutely no reason for him to be the fab favorite that he is. But, shockingly enough, I thought he was the best dang part of the whole movie. Who knew.

The only problem with Loki is that he's the most interesting (and only recurring) villain that Marvel films have right now.

Still, he is freaking awesome and I love every second he is onscreen.

And while Thor films will never be brilliant they'll always be a blast, that's what I've decided on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

So what's the deal with Pacific Rim? I've heard a lot of people rave about it, but from what little I know it doesn't sound that interesting.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched Man of Steel last night and absolutely loved it.

I have to say, though, it took me a while to realize who was playing Lois; Amy Adams looked so different from her appearances in Enchanted and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Spent last week in Budapest, and so I saw a number of movies on the two trans-atlantic flights.

Zero Dark Thirty: Dark, gritty, too-real. Really well made. The way they depicted real acts of terrorism really hit home how scary it can be.

The Lone Ranger: I'm honestly not sure what I make of this. I enjoyed it, but also spent much of the movie confused about what I was watching. Liked Johnny Depp, but I might've preferred it he was less goofy.

Red 2: Not as good as the first, but still amazingly fun.

Django Unchained: I'd seen this before, but don't own it so I thought I'd watch it again. Lots of racisms obviously (it's about slavery before the civil war, so of course it is). I've heard jokes about how Tarantino makes movies simply as an excuse to write and say the N-word with mere impunity, and this movie does nothing to debunk that theory. But it was uber-violent and a lot of fun.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote  

@Life: I saw Pacific Rim and enjoyed it. It's a godzilla movie. If you like big monster movies, you'd enjoy it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Really, a godzilla movie? Somehow that never came up. All I seem to hear relates to Idris Elba. Wait, is he the godzilla? Did they Gollum him up?

Well, if you vouch for it, I'll give it a go.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Are the Marvel Cinematic Universe films meant to be watched in release order? After seeing Thor the other night, I'm hooked and seriously considering buying all of the MCU films.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Are the Marvel Cinematic Universe films meant to be watched in release order? After seeing Thor the other night, I'm hooked and seriously considering buying all of the MCU films.

I'd say yes, given the fact that the post-credit scenes from one tease what's happening in the next.

But if you don't care about post-credit scenes, then you can just watch all of Phase One in any order as long as it ends with Avengers (and Iron Man 1 before 2, obviously), and then Phase 2 in any order, ending with Avengers 2 (once it's out).

The best viewing order is:
1. Iron Man
2. Incredible Hulk
3. Iron Man 2
4. Thor
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Marvel's The Avengers
7. Iron Man 3
8. Thor: The Dark World
(not yet out)
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
12. Ant-Man

You can choose to watch the Ang Lee Hulk before Iron Man, but Incredible Hulk doesn't follow it strictly (spiritual sequel, but really it's a reboot). "Hulk" isn't in the MCU.

And yes, they're all amazing, though to different levels of amazingness. I had fun with every single one of them, but I'd be lying if I had the same level of fun with each.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 167 of 175