What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was in LA by way of DC, so I started reading A Scanner Darkly. Seemed appropriate.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That is highly appropriate, but on top of that does anyone really need an excuse to read that one? Its fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished A Queen's Secret. Kind of meh, in my opinion. I don't think the first person POV worked too well and Jean Plaidy kept skipping over large chunks of time without going into much depth about what was happening.

Over two-thirds of the way through Last Lion: Alone and hope to finish today or tomorrow.

I was hoping to be able to check out Death of a President to read this weekend, but I don't think I'll make it to the library.

Edit: Finished Last Lion: Alone a few minutes ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Enemy of God and on to Excalibur. This is my least favourite, for obvious reasons.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Catching Fire on Saturday. So good! Can't wait to read Mockingjay!

But first: I'm reading "American Savage: Insights, Slights, and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and Politics" by my favourite sex/relationship advice columnist and political commentator Dan Savage. It's a collection of essays, the best of which so far was a wonderful breakdown of the need for comprehensive sex education. He compares abstinence-only sex education to a drivers-ed class, where you learn everything about the internal-combustion engine, but not how to steer, how to brake, or what the red octogons on sticks mean, and are told that cars are dangerous and under no circumstances should you ever drive one. And then when a teenager turns 16 and gets his learners permit, he doesn't know what to do or how to be safe, crashes the car and is held up as an example of cars being so dangerous. Brilliant.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote  

After listening to Bombad Radio's interview with Drew Karpyshyn, I got the urge to read some more books by Drew, so I dove into the first Mass Effect novel: Revelation. Really enjoyed it. So now I'm reading the second Mass Effect novel: Ascension.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
After listening to Bombad Radio's interview with Drew Karpyshyn, I got the urge to read some more books by Drew, so I dove into the first Mass Effect novel: Revelation. Really enjoyed it. So now I'm reading the second Mass Effect novel: Ascension.

The Mass Effect novels were good. I haven't read the last one yet (the one by Dietz instead of Karpyshyn), but I really enjoyed the first three.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Took 3 weeks to crawl through To Hold the Crown: A Novel of the Tudors by Jean Plaidy, who wrote The Queen's Secret that I read before Thanksgiving. I think it's safe to say I won't be reading any more Plaidy novels after struggling through those two. Her writing style does not appeal to me.

I'm currently struggling through The King, the Queen, and the Mistress, which is basically a novelization of the entire first season of The Tudors. Having never seen the show, since Mom said "No," I find the book rather disjointed and confusing to follow.

So far, three of the six books about the Tudors that a co-worker of Dad's lent me to read have been disappointing. Maybe the others will be better, but I don't have much hope.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Excalibur. Now reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This probably sounds crazy, but I've decided that in 2014, I will be reading some of my favorite series and standalone novels at the rate of one per day. *

*of course, some books on the list will definitely take more than a day to complete since they're so long. However, I will try to read at least the first 5 chapters of a book on its assigned day.

I am also thinking about starting A Song of Ice and Fire after the New Year. Yes, its still incomplete and not likely to be finished for several years yet, if ever. Since each book is so long, though, I could probably read a few chapters each day and stretch out the reading of all 5 until July, if not longer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote  

What's everyone's favorite non-Star Wars book of 2013? (one that came out in 2013)

I've read quite a few, and I'm having a hard time picking one. I've reduced down to these...

Abaddon’s Gate by James S.A. Corey
Children of Fire by Drew Karpyshyn
Vol'Jin: Shadows of the Horde by Michael A. Stackpole
Hellhole Awakening by Kevin J. Anderson
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

They were all good books. Some sci-fi, some fantasy.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. Generally I liked it, though I had a few issues. Primarily the ending: I would have preferred Tom to be broken, to become an overseer. But since, in the last chapter, the author mentions that this is based on actual people, I'm not sure how much she could have changed. The other thing was the characters: for the most part they were solidly built, but quite often they slipped into caricature. And indeed I gather this story was the origin of certain stereotypes.

Now reading Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What's everyone's favorite non-Star Wars book of 2013? (one that came out in 2013)

I've read quite a few, and I'm having a hard time picking one. I've reduced down to these...

Abaddon’s Gate by James S.A. Corey
Children of Fire by Drew Karpyshyn
Vol'Jin: Shadows of the Horde by Michael A. Stackpole
Hellhole Awakening by Kevin J. Anderson
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

They were all good books. Some sci-fi, some fantasy.

I'm looking at the list of books I read this year and... not a single one from 2013. The newest one was How God Became King by N. T. Wright, published in 2012. The oldest was the Oresteia, performed in 458 B.C.

EDIT: I lied! I read Crucible. I must have forgotten to write it down...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished The Pagan Lord. I quite liked it, and think it was fairly stronger than the previous books. However, sometimes I did feel that, whenever Cornwell/Uhtred would point out a character trait of someone else, it jarred me a little, I felt it was a new trait being passed off as an old one. However it could just be my poor memory, or something I hadn't noticed before.

Now reading two things: Lorna Doone, and a book on card magic. My previous attempts have failed, but I really want to succeed this time, because I want to impress my niece and nephew. I learned one sleight last night and have been annoying every with it ever since.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finished slogging through A Storm of Swords, which thankfully picked up in the last third and had a very good cliffhanger, so I moved on to A Feast for Crows, and have now started A Dance with Dragons. I've heard that a lot of people don't like these two, but I really liked AFfC and I am enjoying ADwD much more than I did ASoS.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 100 of 113