Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 182, 183, 184  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
I don't like it when book adaptations try to stay completely faithful to the source material. If I want the book, I'll read the book. I expect adaptations to take liberties when re-telling the story.

You are one of the few.

Personally I'd like them to take liberties though, I absolutely hated Mockingjay when I read it so if they want to make it more interesting than I'd be ok.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sure a lot of it is just good old fashion fan griping, as they are want to do, whether it's deserved or not. But a lot of times it's seems like the people who made the movie didn't understand the point of the book and they cut out or change things that are essential to the plot. They never really did try to make a movie of the book's story, but instead took the idea of the book and used that as the basis for an essentially unrelated movie.

Sometimes it works out great and even better like Kubrick's films. Usually not.

The other problem is the reality of a what it takes to actually produce a movie, instead of what is only limited by the authors imagination, so in other words, nothing. The biggest issue being that actors have agents and contracts and commissions and expected pay scales that have to be factored in. I think that most of us have a favorite character in a book that is not the hero and they might be given just as much story weight and page time as the protagonist, but for the above reason that will not work in a movie.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:
I don't like it when book adaptations try to stay completely faithful to the source material. If I want the book, I'll read the book. I expect adaptations to take liberties when re-telling the story.

You are one of the few.

Personally I'd like them to take liberties though, I absolutely hated Mockingjay when I read it so if they want to make it more interesting than I'd be ok.

I can get into liberties, but only if they're done well and preserve the essence of the book. Prince Caspian was a somewhat polarizing movie among Narnia fans, because the plot needed deconstructive surgery due to the uncinematic structuring of the book. Personally, I'm a defender of the movie, for the most part, because I felt it preserved the essence of the book. Some scenes were cut, but themes and ideas from those scenes were transeferred into new scenes. It's one of the most interesting adaptations I've seen and it's a lot of fun to take apart and analyse. Ultimately, an adaptation is transferring a story from one medium to another and not everything works as well in one medium as it does in another. Some stories make the transfer easy (the Hunger Games books seem to be written with a screenplay in mind) and others don't... which makes it very important that the creators of the adaptation fundamentally understand the work they're adapting, so that they can play around/make changes, but still stay true to the spirit of the story. All this to say, I don't like liberties for the sake of liberties, but am perfectly content with them if they're necessary and/or done well.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Sure a lot of it is just good old fashion fan griping, as they are want to do, whether it's deserved or not. But a lot of times it's seems like the people who made the movie didn't understand the point of the book and they cut out or change things that are essential to the plot. They never really did try to make a movie of the book's story, but instead took the idea of the book and used that as the basis for an essentially unrelated movie.

Sometimes it works out great and even better like Kubrick's films. Usually not.

The other problem is the reality of a what it takes to actually produce a movie, instead of what is only limited by the authors imagination, so in other words, nothing. The biggest issue being that actors have agents and contracts and commissions and expected pay scales that have to be factored in. I think that most of us have a favorite character in a book that is not the hero and they might be given just as much story weight and page time as the protagonist, but for the above reason that will not work in a movie.

I'll have you know Francis Lawrence knows he screwed up by ditching the spirit of the story with I Am Legend. He did a Reddit AMA recently and one of the things he said was that he wasn't proud of the film because of the way he ruined it.

It was refreshing to know that a director doesn't always feel the need to defend their work and that they'll admit when they've screwed up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finally got to see Catching Fire today, and I think Francis Lawrence did an excellent job. I far prefer this movie to Hunger Games. I'm very happy to see he's on board for Mockingjay 1 & 2.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I saw Catching Fire this weekend and really enjoyed it. Jennifer Lawrence has really proven herself as an actress (and that Oscar was well deserved), and she really owns the movie. I can't imagine what it would be like with a lesser actress in the role.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
I saw Catching Fire this weekend and really enjoyed it. Jennifer Lawrence has really proven herself as an actress (and that Oscar was well deserved), and she really owns the movie. I can't imagine what it would be like with a lesser actress in the role.

Totally agree with you, but I think everyone was better in this movie. I was a little concerned when Francis Lawrence came out with that "we manned Peeta up" statement awhile back, but they did it just right.

Anyone see the previews for the new Russell Crowe movie, Noah? It actually looks like it might be good. That and the American Hustle preview looked like the only movies maybe on my radar. The rest looked like they're probably pretty dreadful movies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

Anyone see the previews for the new Russell Crowe movie, Noah? It actually looks like it might be good.

Its an Aronofsky film, far as I'm concerned its already succeeded. There is so much that'll go into the movie that isn't included into the trailer due to the ground they're cautiously treading with their demographic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, it's got a powerhouse cast.

Russell Crowe
Jennifer Connelly
Anthony Hopkins
Emma Watson

We already know the acting will be good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Well, it's got a powerhouse cast.

Russell Crowe
Jennifer Connelly
Anthony Hopkins
Emma Watson

We already know the acting will be good.

I love how they are listed in the trailer - 3 Academy-Award winning actors, and Emma Watson - such an obvious play for the young adult audience.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
such an obvious play for the young adult audience.

lol I don't think so. Have you seen Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
such an obvious play for the young adult audience.

lol I don't think so. Have you seen Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler?

You forgot to mention Aranofsky also got the Oscar for best director for Black Swan, and Black Swan also won the Oscar for best picture. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Or how about Emma Watson's more recent performances since Harry Potter?

She's not even going to have that much to do in the film.

And considering the director's body of work I think it'll be aimed for a mature audience, its getting an R rating last I heard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote  

Nobody has mentioned that Ray Winstone is in Noah. He's one of my favorite actors, so I'm always happy to see him in another movie.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was watching the Clash of the Titans remake last night and was reminded of something that's been bugging me for some time.

When Perseus was born, Acrisius was the King of Argos and Danae is his wife and Queen, in a switch from the original version where they were father and daughter. Some 20 years later (I think) Cepheus and Cassiopeia rule Argos. In the flashback scenes showing the circumstances leading up to Perseus' birth and banishment, there is a very brief shot of a soldier yelling "No" when Acrisius is struck by the lighting bolt after cursing Zeus, just before Danae and Perseus are thrown into the sea.

Is this soldier a younger Cepheus? I'm inclined to think so, but his face is only seen for a split second, so it's very hard to tell. If it is him, then it makes things very interesting: it's probably likely that Cepheus became King right after Acrisius disappeared, which means he was either 1.) a member of the royal family and stood closest to the throne since Perseus was illegitimate, or 2.) Acrisius was the last legimate member of the royal bloodline and the soldiers elected Cepheus, as one of their own, King after Acrisius disappeared.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 169 of 184