Favorite Television Shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Padme:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Life:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has everyone seen The Night Of The Doctor short on youtube? It wasn't as well advertised as the special, so some may have missed it.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw it, I squealed with glee. I loved McGann's Doctor and his audio dramas, that was a huge treat to me. Its on the Blu Ray extras.

Also, as to Moffat, its only with the most recent episodes that he hasn't worked on any characterization. The former companions were fully fleshed out three dimensional characters.

The hate Moffat gets really bugs me, his run as showrunner has had some outstanding episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Has anyone been watching Almost Human? Excellent show. Nothing new but very well put together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I saw it, I squealed with glee. I loved McGann's Doctor and his audio dramas, that was a huge treat to me. Its on the Blu Ray extras.

Also, as to Moffat, its only with the most recent episodes that he hasn't worked on any characterization. The former companions were fully fleshed out three dimensional characters.

The hate Moffat gets really bugs me, his run as showrunner has had some outstanding episodes.

*Shrugs* I like the show, but I don't watch it avidly. The only reason I noticed any problems, rather than my usual 'oh hey, he's doing something funny again, now back to my book' is because it was the special, and was determined to watch it properly. I can't speak towards any further criticisms, but I dislike lazy writing.

Although, to take the question away from Moffat and Who, and make it a more general 'does great product excuse faults?' I disagree, to a point, but I also think that's the wrong way to look at things. To excuse it is to imply that you overlook problems because your personal experience is generally positive. I think it's better to acknowledge faults - say 'yes, they are there, and they do impact the show. Overall, the product is good'. A key difference, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

*Shrugs* I like the show, but I don't watch it avidly. The only reason I noticed any problems, rather than my usual 'oh hey, he's doing something funny again, now back to my book' is because it was the special, and was determined to watch it properly. I can't speak towards any further criticisms, but I dislike lazy writing.

Although, to take the question away from Moffat and Who, and make it a more general 'does great product excuse faults?' I disagree, to a point, but I also think that's the wrong way to look at things. To excuse it is to imply that you overlook problems because your personal experience is generally positive. I think it's better to acknowledge faults - say 'yes, they are there, and they do impact the show. Overall, the product is good'. A key difference, in my opinion.

See and I'm willing to acknowledge his faults, season 6 was mostly awful with a couple choice exceptions, but overall he's taken Who to something bigger than it was and that's saying something. To be able to combine both RTD's era and Moffat's era would be perfection as you'd have the feel and cinematography along with the excellent writing style and characterization.

And Moffat isn't long for the show. Patience, another will come.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Moffat's issue is that he's more concerned with BLOWING YOUR MIND than with good plot or characterization. He's like a kid chanting "I know something you don't know!" and then it always turns out that the grand "mystery" isn't that interesting at all. Not to mention that I don't think his female companions are anywhere near as strong as previous ones.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Moffat's issue is that he's more concerned with BLOWING YOUR MIND than with good plot or characterization. He's like a kid chanting "I know something you don't know!" and then it always turns out that the grand "mystery" isn't that interesting at all. Not to mention that I don't think his female companions are anywhere near as strong as previous ones.

Eh, Jenna Coleman is an adorable enough person that I'm willing to forgive the character.

Moffat leaves massive plot holes. For someone who likes his mysteries so much he does indeed leave them unfinished. The end of the series 7 finale is blatant proof of that, he cared more about setting up the 50th than in actually resolving a story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote  

Continuing my theme in other threads, what's everyone's favorite television show this year?

I don't watch too much tv, but there's a couple shows I follow: The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad (which is now over), Falling Skies, The Clone Wars (which ended this year), and Defiance, which is my pick for favorite show this year.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Eh, Jenna Coleman is an adorable enough person that I'm willing to forgive the character.

Moffat leaves massive plot holes. For someone who likes his mysteries so much he does indeed leave them unfinished. The end of the series 7 finale is blatant proof of that, he cared more about setting up the 50th than in actually resolving a story.

I've not seen the Season 7 finale (or, frankly, any of Seasons 5-7 except the Christmas Carol-style Christmas Special) but I loved the 50th Anniversary Special and the shorts. And I understood it easily, without knowing much of what happened before.

That's the great thing about Doctor Who: as long as you understand the general premise, it's so episodic that you can jump in anywhere and be fine.

My only criticism: not enough Christopher Eccleston. Loved his cameo (and the joke reference at the end), but he's my favourite Doctor and he should've been in it too.

I'm hoping to get Season 5 for Christmas. If not, I'll try and get it Boxing Day.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Taral: They tried to get Eccelston for the 50th, John Hurt's Doctor was created because he staunchly refused. He wanted nothing further with Who after he left due to his dislike of how it was run and all and he's now firmly refusing to interact with it further.

I thought the plot was ok but if you'd seen the finale of season 7 you would have been baffled by some of the massive glossing over we dealt with.

Seasons 5 and 6 are on Netflix if you wanted to catch up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Continuing my theme in other threads, what's everyone's favorite television show this year?

I don't watch too much tv, but there's a couple shows I follow: The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad (which is now over), Falling Skies, The Clone Wars (which ended this year), and Defiance, which is my pick for favorite show this year.

Also loved Breaking Bad and certain arcs of The Clone Wars (Maul/Mando especially). Have followed Falling Skies since the beginning. Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow, and Agents of SHIELD have been my favorites lately. I like those Brooklyn 99 and Dads comedies too. And even though I only watch it because of my wife, Once Upon a Time has some pretty good episodes, mainly the ones that focus on Robert Carlyle.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sleepy Hollow have been surprise hits for me, I've really enjoyed every minute of them. Trophy Wife and The Crazy Ones have also been good on the comedy side, and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Tomorrow People on the drama side. Favorite of the year? I think I have to go with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, for being so consistently great.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 67 of 72