Halt of EU books for Ep7 and new timeline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
So that means no matter who the publisher is, it should not effect the content of the books. In that case the only incentive to change the EU canon would be a creative one. For the purely business aspects we've discussed there doesn't seem to be a good motivation for doing that. That's possibly hopeful.

Basically. To me the only reason to change EU canon is that JJ Abrams isn't capable of playing nice in the sandbox, and wants his way or the highway.

Hopefully Leland, Pablo, et al. can keep him in line.

There's also the fact that the Sequel Trilogy is being based on Lucas's treatments and we already know that Lucas couldn't care less about the EU. We don't know how close the new movies will stick to the treatments and, who knows, maybe that recent script change (where Abrams and Kasden replaced Arndt) will be more in the EU's favour. I still highly doubt the new movies won't flat out contradict the EU, but until we get something official, I won't give up hope.

This is true about Lucas. That said, with a little tweeking from Leland and Pablo I'm pretty sure they could be made to fit without altering the general plot significantly. At least I can't imagine a situation in which it would significantly alter them if its set post-NJOO and pre-LOTF or even post-Crucible.

Given the recent publication of The Reader's Compaion and the existance of the holocron, I still hold out hope that the Eu will survive. Though its amazing to see how many fans on another forum seem to care less about it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
So that means no matter who the publisher is, it should not effect the content of the books. In that case the only incentive to change the EU canon would be a creative one. For the purely business aspects we've discussed there doesn't seem to be a good motivation for doing that. That's possibly hopeful.

Basically. To me the only reason to change EU canon is that JJ Abrams isn't capable of playing nice in the sandbox, and wants his way or the highway.

Hopefully Leland, Pablo, et al. can keep him in line.

There's also the fact that the Sequel Trilogy is being based on Lucas's treatments and we already know that Lucas couldn't care less about the EU. We don't know how close the new movies will stick to the treatments and, who knows, maybe that recent script change (where Abrams and Kasden replaced Arndt) will be more in the EU's favour. I still highly doubt the new movies won't flat out contradict the EU, but until we get something official, I won't give up hope.

This is true about Lucas. That said, with a little tweeking from Leland and Pablo I'm pretty sure they could be made to fit without altering the general plot significantly. At least I can't imagine a situation in which it would significantly alter them if its set post-NJOO and pre-LOTF or even post-Crucible.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is characters. If Luke and/or Han and Leia have kids and they aren't Jaina or Ben, that would totally mess up the EU. I also remember Lucas saying that, if he went beyond RotJ, Luke wouldn't be married like he is in the EU. That would mean no Mara Jade... and the end of the Skywalker line. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote  

Some interesting tidbits I've come across. Chris Trevas mentioned that he's started working on new Star Wars project that he can't talk about yet and Ryder Windham mentioned that he's started working on two Star Wars projects he can't talk about yet.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Some interesting tidbits I've come across. Chris Trevas mentioned that he's started working on new Star Wars project that he can't talk about yet and Ryder Windham mentioned that he's started working on two Star Wars projects he can't talk about yet.

This is what I truely loath about Disney.

Expect that answer "I've started a new project that I can't talk about" to be the announcement of EVER future star wars product now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, we did have that under the old guard, so it's hardly much of a difference.

Remind me again what Paul Kemp's duology was about?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I grant you they did keep some things like the Kemp Duology under wraps when it was really big.

By contrast though, the Atlas was talked about in massive detail while in production, Blood Oath, Mandorla, Knightfall and Escape from Dagu were announced so early in development they were never even finished, and I remember when NJO was first announced they had the entire bracket of authors and book groupings listed out for the entire project on TOS from the outset; yes, things changed, but they weren't afraid to give us details on most upcoming projects when they could.

One of the reasons Kemp's duology got so much attention was because we knew nothing about it. IT was an anomaly rather than an institutional standard. now...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I still want to read Blood Oath and Mandorla. Not to mention Kemp's duology... Sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I still want to read Blood Oath and Mandorla. Not to mention Kemp's duology... Sad

I was so excited for Mandorla...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Blood Oath
Mandorla
Kemp's Mystery Duology
Sword of the Jedi

Heck, even Escape from Dagu (it was fully completely anyway).

I'd love to see all of these published.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:

Me too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Me too.

Me three. And I really want to read Sword of the Jedi too - could be an opportunity to finish off the storyline if the EU ends.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah , so much left unsaid...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Could they really seal it all in a trilogy though?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Could they really seal it all in a trilogy though?

Could be.

Need to tie up these major loose ends really:

- eradicate the Lost Tribe or at least send what remains into hiding with the One Sith of legacy
- find Mortis (may relate as a subplot to the above)
-reunite the Jedi with the Alliance in some form
- resolve vestara's fate by death, imprisonment, redemption or whatever
- establish Luke as the Grand Master who, like yoda, mostly meditates and administrates while the rest of the Jedi do their thing under the council
- retire Han and Leia somewhere with the falcon to raise Amelia (possibly between coruscant and Hapes)
- Move Jaina and Jag to the Empire (even if it doesn't actually show him becoming emperor yet)
- move some segment of Jedi with them to form the basis for the Imperial Knights.

Book 1 - Jaina et al. track down the sith and engage in battle, discovering Mortis near the end
Book 2 - Mortis serves some role in defeating the one sith except a handful, bringing the Jedi and GA back onto the same side
Book 3 - Luke has Mortis destoryed and establishes temples on Coruscant and Bastion (with training ground remaining on Shadu Mau) while the reunited GA and Jedi take down the rest of the sith, revealing Vestara's fate opposite Ben. Last few chapters deal with characters moving to the appropriate locations and sets up for what would be a prolonged period of peace.

Thereby leading nicely into decades of rebuilding up to Legacy which can then cap the story of the existing EU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, kark. Evil or Very Mad Just found at on Facebook, via Nathan Butler's SWTG page, that the New Essential Guide to Characters has apparently been canceled and Sword of the Jedi may be toast too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 6