Important Star Wars material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Important Star Wars material
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I posted this over on the TF.N boards, but I'd appreciate any feedback here too.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. At one time I thought I would be able to collect everything Star Wars that fits in the timeline, but now I realize that's virtually impossible. Can't do it. So I'm going to try to focus on the major threads.

I think what I'm going to go for is this:

The films. However, I will be ditching all of the material set during the films' timeframes except the adult novelizations and any part of en established series (ie, Republic, Republic Commando, ect) that runs during the films.

The 2 Clone Wars TV shows. Again, as with the films, I will be ditching adaptations. As far as Droids, Ewoks, and the Holdiay Special go, I will probably skip them entirely except for the comics. This is because it seems very unlikely that any of those 3 will ever be released on DVD, and they're pretty much self contained anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

All of the adult novels and a good chunk of the youth novels. Not sure yet about Galaxy of Fear, Science Adventures, Jedi Prince, or the Ryder Windham bios. Are they really that important?

Most of the comics.

Unfortunately, I will have to skip most of the video games since they were not made available for PC and I cannot afford a Playstation, PSP, ect. Probably the only ones I can buy are KOTOR/TSL, EAW/FOC, TFU/TFU II, GC/CC, TOR, XW/TF/XWA, and DF/JK/MOTS/JO/JA.

Adventure Journal, Insider, Gamer, ect. is very difficult to decide. I know there's a lot of important material in these mags, but they're very hard to find, even on Amazon.

RPGS/Wizards - Not sure if they're sufficiently important or not.

Does this seem reasonable? Am I excluding anything that would be considered important enough?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote  

Not sure what your goal is, but regarding Ryder Windham's books, I highly recommend his Wrath of Maul book. It's very good and has info you won't find anywhere else. It's a great tie-in for the upcoming Maul: Lockdown book, too.

I also recommend getting a copy of the Wizards of the Coast guide Ultimate Alien Anthology. Has tons of great artwork and info on alien species, including lots of obscure species you won't find elsewhere. If you've only got one alien species book, it's the one to have. Handy for reference while reading Star Wars books. Every species in the book has a color picture. Heck, author John Jackson Miller routinely picks aliens from the book, so if you're reading JJM, you can get a lot of use out of it.

With Clone Wars books, Wildspace is worth checking out. It's not an adaptation from the show, and it's the only book in the EU where Bail Organa gets serious page time.

With the Adventure Journals, they're a lot of fun, but like you pointed out, expensive and hard to find. I've been slowly picking them up here and there. If you've never seen one in person, they are the size of books, so they pack a lot of info and stories.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wasn't clear enough, Skuls. Sorry. What I mean is that instead of trying to collect everything like I originally intended, I'm just going to concentrate on the material that would be considered important in the overall Saga. The Droids and Ewoks TV series don't seem to have much bearing, if any, on events after them. Ditto the Holiday Special - which Lucas seems to have forgotten anyway. I asked about the Windham bios because it seems that RAFODV, TLOLS, and LALOOWK don't have much new info to make it worth my time, and GOF and Jedi Prince don't appear to be that key.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Although I'd probably agree with you that the Droids and Ewoks animated series are not integral to the EU, they did in fact both have a DVD release, as did the Ewok Adventures live action TV movies.

I managed to pick them all up in a job lot on eBay a year or so ago for about 20, you just have to keep a look out for a bargain. At a glance I found this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-EWOK-ADVENTURES-DVD-CARAVAN-OF-COURAGE-BATTLE-FOR-ENDOR-RARE-EWOKS-/350929749479?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item51b50b05e7

It's pricey but like I said, keep your eye on eBay for a job lot.

As for the Adventure Journal and Star Wars Gamer, I personally decided against attempting to collect them as after some research I concluded it would be too expensive. If you're interested though, you can find a lot of them on www.abebooks.com for around $20 each for the Journals and $10-15 per issue for Gamer.

That website was invaluable for me when looking for out of print books, it really is a treasure trove!

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote  

If you hunt hard on eBay and Amazon, you can pick up the Adventure Journals $5 to $10 each (with shipping). If you want them crispy new, $10 to $15 but sometimes you'll get someone whose definition of "Like New" is "Barely Beat Up". The going rate is $20 to $25 in really good condition, but you can get them cheaper.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As a completionist who is missing only a couple dozen things that have ever been published (pretty much all WEG or Insider Short Stories) I'm definitely the wrong person to ask.

But thanks for the heads up on the Skuldren for the Adv. Journal. Any idea where you can find the Star Wars Missions books from Scholastic? Amazon and Ebay aren't very successful at having those (specifically 9-20)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote  

I haven't collected any of the Star Wars Missions books. I generally only collect books that have some valuable story content. Are those any good?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I haven't collected any of the Star Wars Missions books. I generally only collect books that have some valuable story content. Are those any good?

Depends on your definition of "good" lol.

They're probably on par with the Glove series for actual writing quality, much shorter, and with roleplaying elements thrown in (which don't actually affect the story).

That said, the general ideas in them aren't bad.

For example, the first couple are set a few days after the Death Star and detail an ISD sent to Yavin to investigate why there has been sudden radio silence (which actually fits into overall continuity very well).

mostly i'm being completionist though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1